Defensive Carry banner

Kershaw Leek Knife

6K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  Kevin 
#1 ·
KERSHAW LEEK KNIFE

Years ago my grandfather gave me a small knife that he called a gentleman’s knife. I was small and it had a sharp blade that served me well for a variety of tasks, but eventually I lost it.
Having purchased the SOG Flash II a couple of weeks before and falling in love with the opening assisted feature, I set to find a smaller knife in the “gentleman’s knife” category that will not print when using a tuxedo.

I settled for the Ken Onion’s designed Leek model by Kershaw, a stainless steel three inches blade, four inches overall knife, with flat profile and a clip on the right side for securing it to pockets.

The knife is extremely sharp, and the blade seems to leap at the small push of the index finger and lock securely. I use the index finger on the top of the blade extension on top, but it can also be opened with the thumb stud that is on the rear of the blade.
The knife also has a way to lock the blade for protection against accidental openings; slide a small button at the rear of the handle.
To close the blade you will need two hands. One finger is used to push the locking bar out of the way of the blade to close the knife.

Those forward assisted blades are really great! And the little Leek is a fine knife; I am pleased with my purchase of this fine gentleman's knife.

Sincerely,

Pharaohawk

See less See more
#4 ·
I prefer a knife with a better grip. With an all steel knife your hand when wet from rain or blood may slide right up the grip over the blade when stabbing.

Serrated blades are difficult at best to sharpen and really don't add anything to a defensive weapon. No military bayonet has them, some survival knives may for sawing bone or wood.

I had a Kershaw Leek that would open in my pocket if I didn't lock it and if it's locked it takes the advantage out of the self-assist opening.

IMHO:wink:

#5 ·
I have that same knife and love it. I carry it in my right hip pocket right next to my wallet. I superglued the safety though - it would tend to slip and engage which defeats the whole one-handed opening thing.

My first one broke, but I shipped it back and they sent me a brand new one for free. I've had it for about 2 years now, it tends to catch on a hole in my heavy winter coat and it actually popped out and hit the floor of WalMart twice tonight! No damage done.

#6 ·
I love this knife. Both my wife and I have it. One of the great things about it is that you can reverse the belt clip. Out of the box, the clip is such that you have to flip the knife to open it after removing it from your belt or pocket.

Once the belt clip is reversed, it is much easier to "draw" and open.

#9 ·
The wife gave me the Ti Oxide version (Rainbow Leek) a year or two back & it's been an EDC since then, clipped in a back pocket. The coating has held up very well (no visible scratches), as has the plain edge which hasn't needed much more than a swipe or two from a sharpening steel to stay factory sharp. It is really one of my favorites.

I liked it so well I got my 23 year old daughter the version with the pink anodized aluminium scales (it's a purse carry for her now ... ).

Nick

#15 ·
Same here. It mainly depends on what I am wearing as to which knife i carry. I think the Leek is a great little knife for the money and it's very quick to open and close but it's no match for an axis lock. Guys at work see me open the Leek and they are look at it like "well thats neat", then they see me open and close my griptillian and they are like "what the hell just happened here?"

back on topic: I know its a neat feature to be able to flick it open so easily, but be warned, it easily becomes a habit for an idle hand to open and close it just to see the assisted open at work. I just bought my brother a new one to replace last years x-mas present due to the that very reason.

#13 ·
To close the blade you will need two hands. One finger is used to push the locking bar out of the way of the blade to close the knife.
I think as you use it more, you'll find yourself closing it with one hand. From a cutting grip, I use my thumb to disengage the frame lock and my index finger to fold the bade the first 30 degrees or so. Then the fingers get out of the way, the thumb comes up and closes the blade the rest of the way. You can grab the knife, open it, cut some twine/open a letter, fold it and put it away all with one hand in 7 or 8 seconds without rushing. That's why I love it around the office.

#14 ·
I bought one a couple of years ago & my wife stole it. .....So I had to buy a couple more. I keep one in my strong side front pocket & use it as my everyday knife, opening the mail, boxes...etc. That way I save the edge on my defensive knife (Strider) in my weak side pocket. I keep the second one in my vest pocket.

#17 ·
I feel that Kershaw knives have a better edge Geometry then Benchmade.
I also have had problems of screws comming loose on Benchmades, not so with Kershaws. The Benchmades usually cost more.

I am likely to purchase more Kershaws but not Benchmades.

Now for the negative about knives. Many Knife companies are having their knives made in China. Kershaw is one such company, not all their knives just certain models. Its not to say that all Chinese made knives are bad, but some are not the quality one would expect because of the lack of good quality control. I would suggest before buying a knife to check if the model was made in China or not. If made in China, remember the knife may not hold up as well as the more expensive models. Just an FYI.

#20 ·
If this knife is going to be used as a tactical knife, rather than to open the mail, I would definitely put some skateboard tape or a rubberized coating or something on the handle to keep it from getting slippery when you need it most, and it's covered in blood or raining. You could get a nasty, crippling cut if your hand slides up the handle onto the sharp blade.
For cutting rope and opening packages, I like the knife as well.

#26 ·
Hmm... I've seen the leek. I've played with the leek(not that leek:redface:). I tend to like my Kershaw Blur better though. I like the grip built into the slabs. Clearly the Leek has a slimmer profile and is lighter, but I think I still prefer the advantage of grip over the width and weight.

Kershaw's page with the specs:
http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=83

#27 ·
I've had the leek for about 4 years, and just got a sog flash 2 for christmas. Both great knives. Just an fyi if you use it as much as I used mine the spring will give out in time. Kershaw will send you another for free if you want to replace it yourself or you can I think send it to them. I was impressed when the sent me a new spring in about 2 days no questions asked took about 1 minute to replace.

It's an awesome knife.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.