Kershaw Leek Knife

This is a discussion on Kershaw Leek Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; KERSHAW LEEK KNIFE Years ago my grandfather gave me a small knife that he called a gentlemanís knife. I was small and it had a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kershaw Leek Knife

Kershaw Leek Knife

KERSHAW LEEK KNIFE

Years ago my grandfather gave me a small knife that he called a gentlemanís knife. I was small and it had a sharp blade that served me well for a variety of tasks, but eventually I lost it.
    Having purchased the SOG Flash II a couple of weeks before and falling in love with the opening assisted feature, I set to find a smaller knife in the ďgentlemanís knifeĒ category that will not print when using a tuxedo.

I settled for the Ken Onionís designed Leek model by Kershaw, a stainless steel three inches blade, four inches overall knife, with flat profile and a clip on the right side for securing it to pockets.

The knife is extremely sharp, and the blade seems to leap at the small push of the index finger and lock securely. I use the index finger on the top of the blade extension on top, but it can also be opened with the thumb stud that is on the rear of the blade.
    The knife also has a way to lock the blade for protection against accidental openings; slide a small button at the rear of the handle.
    To close the blade you will need two hands. One finger is used to push the locking bar out of the way of the blade to close the knife.

Those forward assisted blades are really great! And the little Leek is a fine knife; I am pleased with my purchase of this fine gentleman's knife.

Sincerely,

Pharaohawk

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I've got one and I love it. Its flat enough that you'll forget its there till you need it and its hair flingin sharp.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have the partially serrated version and I love it. Great knife!
    "I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend" J.R.R. Tolkien

I prefer a knife with a better grip. With an all steel knife your hand when wet from rain or blood may slide right up the grip over the blade when stabbing.

Serrated blades are difficult at best to sharpen and really don't add anything to a defensive weapon. No military bayonet has them, some survival knives may for sawing bone or wood.

I had a Kershaw Leek that would open in my pocket if I didn't lock it and if it's locked it takes the advantage out of the self-assist opening.

IMHO

Mo
    I have that same knife and love it. I carry it in my right hip pocket right next to my wallet. I superglued the safety though - it would tend to slip and engage which defeats the whole one-handed opening thing.

My first one broke, but I shipped it back and they sent me a brand new one for free. I've had it for about 2 years now, it tends to catch on a hole in my heavy winter coat and it actually popped out and hit the floor of WalMart twice tonight! No damage done.

I love this knife. Both my wife and I have it. One of the great things about it is that you can reverse the belt clip. Out of the box, the clip is such that you have to flip the knife to open it after removing it from your belt or pocket.

Once the belt clip is reversed, it is much easier to "draw" and open.

I have two of them...great knives...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I found the belt clip location depends on where you carry it.
    High on your beltline, clip at the hinge end, low on your beltline, at the point end. This should put your thumb at the thumbhole or stud ready to open.
    Last edited by LastManOut; December 9th, 2007 at 08:34 AM. Reason: backasswards info

The wife gave me the Ti Oxide version (Rainbow Leek) a year or two back & it's been an EDC since then, clipped in a back pocket. The coating has held up very well (no visible scratches), as has the plain edge which hasn't needed much more than a swipe or two from a sharpening steel to stay factory sharp. It is really one of my favorites.

I liked it so well I got my 23 year old daughter the version with the pink anodized aluminium scales (it's a purse carry for her now ... ).

Nick

I'll join the majority agreeing that this is the quintessence of a gentleman's knife.

Sharp, thin easy to use etc.

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

I'm mostly a Benchmade Axis Lock guy, but when wearing dockers/slacks I usually carry my sleek little Kershaw Leek too.

They are great knives for the money.

Kershaw has great customer service too.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaohawk27 View Post
    To close the blade you will need two hands. One finger is used to push the locking bar out of the way of the blade to close the knife.
    I think as you use it more, you'll find yourself closing it with one hand. From a cutting grip, I use my thumb to disengage the frame lock and my index finger to fold the bade the first 30 degrees or so. Then the fingers get out of the way, the thumb comes up and closes the blade the rest of the way. You can grab the knife, open it, cut some twine/open a letter, fold it and put it away all with one hand in 7 or 8 seconds without rushing. That's why I love it around the office.

VIP Member
    I bought one a couple of years ago & my wife stole it. .....So I had to buy a couple more. I keep one in my strong side front pocket & use it as my everyday knife, opening the mail, boxes...etc. That way I save the edge on my defensive knife (Strider) in my weak side pocket. I keep the second one in my vest pocket.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by stmcelroy View Post
    I'm mostly a Benchmade Axis Lock guy, but when wearing dockers/slacks I usually carry my sleek little Kershaw Leek too.

They are great knives for the money.
    Same here. It mainly depends on what I am wearing as to which knife i carry. I think the Leek is a great little knife for the money and it's very quick to open and close but it's no match for an axis lock. Guys at work see me open the Leek and they are look at it like "well thats neat", then they see me open and close my griptillian and they are like "what the hell just happened here?"

back on topic: I know its a neat feature to be able to flick it open so easily, but be warned, it easily becomes a habit for an idle hand to open and close it just to see the assisted open at work. I just bought my brother a new one to replace last years x-mas present due to the that very reason.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links