Martial arts

This is a discussion on Martial arts within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pro2A As you can see here in this video, he's not destroying his attacker, just rendering him harmless. What they don't show, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    As you can see here in this video, he's not destroying his attacker, just rendering him harmless. What they don't show, and what thy do teach is how to hold and lock the BG into place once he is on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPx7IAlRj_A
    I'm not knocking Aikido. What I found to be funny is calling the so-called "jiu jitsu" attacker. I think he was rendered harmless before he even began any of his attacks.

What I can't make sense of is why I would want to hold a BG in place who just attacked me. IMHO, the goal of "self" defense, is to defend against an attack and get the hell out of there. I'm not a cop and I'm not interested in holding a suspect. Your needs may be different.
    ---
    It is said that the nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.

2. Remove Ads

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Thats why I like Aikido. Other martial arts concentrate on kicking each others butts. If you have two people being offensive you'll get no where. You need to learn to defend from an agressor, not attack back. Thats what Aikido teaches.
    I've got a gut level feeling that the Aikido Master wouldn't last too long in a real no holds barred tooth n nails knock-down drag-out street fight. Demo's are just that, demos, a street fighter isn't going to be attacking nicely, just quick and mean. Aikido is a beautiful art though.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Thats what Aikido teaches, it teaches how to defend yourself from the hard stuff, punches, kicks, knives and other weapons. Our instructor spent a few days teaching us street fighting defensive moves. He said attack me with this stick and pretend its a knife. I rushed towards him pretending it was a knife, and sure enough I was disarmed and on the ground moments later. Sure this situation might be all pretty and for show, but when it comes down to it I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a mad person who knows Aikido. They can throw your butt to the ground and knock the wind out of you, at which point you can flee or hold the BG at bay til LEO's arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornerangerboogie View Post
    I've got a gut level feeling that the Aikido Master wouldn't last too long in a real no holds barred tooth n nails knock-down drag-out street fight. Demo's are just that, demos, a street fighter isn't going to be attacking nicely, just quick and mean. Aikido is a beautiful art though.
    +1

Aikido really is a nice looking martial art. There are some elements of it that could be put to use in a "real" situation. But if you're relying solely on Aikido to defend yourself in a street fight with somebody that has any kind of idea about what he's doing, you're going to be in a world of hurt.

I shudder to think what would happen if you stuck an Aikido master in the ring with an MMA or BJJ expert. It wouldn't be pretty...

Anyone here know any martial arts? I took Aikido as a teenager. I'm no blackbelt, and haven't taken classes in years, but I remember a few moves and practice them at home often, open palm hit, wrist lock etc... Aikido teaches you where all the joint locks on the body are, so if you do knock a BG out, or to the ground, you can lock him in place no matter how big he is until LE arrives.
    That's cool, I've done both Aikikai and Yoshinkan. Isn't it fun to show people nikkyo?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAg View Post
    I shudder to think what would happen if you stuck an Aikido master in the ring with an MMA or BJJ expert. It wouldn't be pretty...
    Why are there so many styles of fighting? Since everyone wants to win, why haven't they all just gravitated toward what works the best and wins the most? People have experimented with H2H combat for quite some time now . . .

Perhaps the answer is that any good style can win if the fighter is able to execute his technique before his opponent does. A man may be the MMA champion, but if some punk connects with a front kick to the groin, I dare say that the punk's style is going to win that match.

And if an aikido fighter succeeds in getting a grip on his opponent and applies a joint lock, that guy's goose is cooked no matter if he is the king of the MMA and packing a Kimber to boot.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Like Paul Vunak says, "The firstest with the mostest is the bestest!". In a truly violent encounter the first one to overwhelm the other guys mind and continue to violently press the attack will win.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    Like Paul Vunak says, "The firstest with the mostest is the bestest!". In a truly violent encounter the first one to overwhelm the other guys mind and continue to violently press the attack will win.
    That's what they train for in F.I.G.H.T (haganah)
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
    Why are there so many styles of fighting? Since everyone wants to win, why haven't they all just gravitated toward what works the best and wins the most? People have experimented with H2H combat for quite some time now . . .
    Actually, that's exactly what MMA is. It came out of the "no holds barred" stuff where they would put a Tae Kwon Do guy in the ring with a Jiu Jitsu guy etc. The resulting "MMA" style today is basically the result of everybody gravitating towards what actually works when fighting another person. For the most part it consists of BJJ and a combination of boxing/kickboxing/muay thai.

People don't practice martial arts only to learn how to fight. If that was the case, who would bother with Tai Chi or arts like Kendo? People practice martial arts for a variety of reasons - health/fitness, confidence, flexibility, discipline, enjoyment.

I have yet to see an aikido attack in a dojo that even closely resembles an actual attack - sloppy, slow, and unrealistic - they're simply trying to let people practice the aikido techniques. There's no striking. You will never learn how to win a real fight until you actually get hit. And there's nothing innately wrong with that. There are plenty of reasons to practice martial arts that have nothing to do with winning an actual fight. Just don't think that knowing Aikido is going to help you very much in a street fight with somebody that knows what he's doing.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    That's what they train for in F.I.G.H.T (haganah)
    Haganah, Hisardut, and krav maga are really good martial arts for self defense. The FIGHT program is one of the few commercial programs that teaches the employment of weapons, and the only program I've ever seen to clear a handgun's action after disarming a bad guy. I was really impressed with that.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIowy...eature=related

Here is another video showing how potent Aikido can be if you know it really well. The video is in Japanese, but still shows in more detail how it uses joints to drop a BG. I beg to differ that Aikido isn't good for "street fighting" I watched our instructor take on 3 guys in a demo and knock them all down. Just like when you are in a situation where you are observing your surroundings, Aikido teaches the same thing and shows you how to be ready at a moments notice when you are bum rushed by one or multiple BG's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIowy...eature=related

Here is another video showing how potent Aikido can be if you know it really well.
    Keep 'em coming, man. I love these videos.

Just like we debate 9 v 40 v 45, debates about the most effective martial art have gone on for years. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Hell, the show Human Weapon will walk you through the different styles. Pick what works for you. I chose to pick different things from different martial arts.

I know a lot of guys that are blackbelts in different styles. Most of them would get their heads kicked in if they ever got into a real fight. I know very few "fighters." Fighting/self defense is 90% mental. I think it was Mike Tyson that said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."
    ---
    It is said that the nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicHs...eature=related

Another good one here. In response to anyone can get their head punched at any time... yes its true it can happen, but why would you let anyone get that close to you without having your red flag up? Plus if someone sucker punches you, you'd knock his butt out once you got back up... assuming you were well trained in martial arts.

I have studied Ishin-ryu Karate, Daito-ryu Aikijujitsu and earned my blackbelt in Tang Soo Do. I do believe martial arts enhance one's ability to defend themselves empty-handed. Engaging in simulated, unarmed combat on a regular basis is rarely a bad thing. The more realistic, the better.

But having studied a martial art certainly does not guarantee a successful outcome in a confrontation, regardless of the degree of proficiency. With no disrespect intended, anyone who expects a confrontation on the street to be handled as easily as depicted in the video clips is deluding themselves. As for being able to handle an attacker armed with a knife... good luck, regardless of the martial art having been studied.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Krav Maga

My son got me interested in Krav Maga. It is the Israeli self defense. Their theory is they take what "works" from all the other martial arts and put it into a package designed for real life street fighting. I have just started, but what they are teaching me is quite practical.

Google it or check out

http://www.kravmaga.com/

or the one I go to

http://www.kravmagapdx.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links