Martial arts - Page 3

Martial arts

This is a discussion on Martial arts within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pro2A http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicHs...eature=related Those videos are so awful I don't even know where to start. If you think that's how somebody is going ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Martial arts

Those videos are so awful I don't even know where to start. If you think that's how somebody is going to come at you in a real fight, you're going to be very, very suprised (in a bad way) one day. It would be worth your time to find an MMA gym in your area and go workout with them one day. Try to use your aikido on somebody in a sparring session and see how well it works out for you. I guarantee that it will be a worthwhile experience.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIowy...eature=related

Here is another video showing how potent Aikido can be if you know it really well. The video is in Japanese, but still shows in more detail how it uses joints to drop a BG. I beg to differ that Aikido isn't good for "street fighting" I watched our instructor take on 3 guys in a demo and knock them all down. Just like when you are in a situation where you are observing your surroundings, Aikido teaches the same thing and shows you how to be ready at a moments notice when you are bum rushed by one or multiple BG's.
    Sorry, but a martial artist attacking from a "stance" doesn't equal real world. The video is still showing patterned attacks, if you really want realism pick the opponent at random from the crowd.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Pro2A- since you dig funny martial arts clips from Youtube, I figured I would share one of my favorites with you. It's probably all the self-defense instruction you will ever need.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y

Bas is the man.
    ---
    It is said that the nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.

I studied Hapkido for 12 years and it was probably the most fun (minus the bruises, bleeding, pad burns, soreness) I have ever had. I have not been in for about 12 years and a few years ago I went to a McDojo... big mistake. My first night there turned into a full on fight with a BJJ guy who actually hurt one of the students there. In all his infinite wisdom.. he made the first mistake I was warned about, and I'm sure everyone knows.. never under estimate your opponent.

He was attempting to show a hip toss, and would not 'slow down' for other students to see what he was doing.. I started to explain it to a few students and apparently he did not like that.. so I became his sparring partner.. no problem.. been there.. done that. What I did have a problem with was an elbow he delivered after the fact and then did not offer me a hand up.. so next round I reversed his throw.. and when I gave him a hand up he kicked me as I turned.. I'm sure he lost most if not ALL of his students after that night.. the fight ended with him being choked out in about 3 seconds.

There is a new hopkido place by my house.. first one i've seen in CO.. and i've been meaning to check it out, after talking to the guys I'm hoping to get off work early enough to make it...

since we're posting you-tube vids, this is the way real fights often happen. I don't know the circumstances of this one but the guy that did the butt-whuppin (whether he was in the right or not) gets a "hats-off" from me for his decisiveness and willingness to "flip the switch." The action starts at about the 42 second mark. Beauuuutiful headbutt
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=FveIeUGpsBA

Most TMA's (traditional martial-arts) don't address realistic attack scenarios. When they do techniques, they're performed against a cooperative opponent in a very controlled and scripted manner (much like the Aikido demos in the vids posted earlier). As a result, you're left with people who are about as equipped to face a real attack as they would be if they had gone and learned to dance the Tango instead of studying a system that's mostly "show" and very little "go." And don't even get me started on the weapons defenses taught in most TMA's...they're suicidal.

As someone else mentioned, the overriding factor is mindset. This is one area where Aikido (I'm picking on this style since it's already been mentioned) really lacks. All the peaceful-warrior, pacifist, defensive crap is just that. Someone mentioned Paul Vunak (great quote from him by the way), his style of teaching is a little more in line with the proper mindset for dealing with a serious threat. Basically, defensive moves should also serve to damage the attacker's incoming weapon (punch, kick, etc.), then you bridge to get into close range, finally you destroy him with high-probability weapons like elbows, knees, and head-butts. Other systems like WWII combatives and Krav-Maga/Haganah/FIGHT share similar concepts.

Now before I have a ton of people gripping at me, I'm not saying that there aren't people with TMA backgrounds out there that can't take care of business (there are a few). What I'm saying is that the majority of MA'ists I've met and/or talked to don't train in a realistic manner and don't really have a very good mindset when it comes to dealing with the realities of a criminal assault.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Most TMA's (traditional martial-arts) don't address realistic attack scenarios.
    One thing that makes judo so useful is that, as a grappling technique, all of its techniques are immediately applicable in real life. The three steps in a judo throw are to disturb the opponent's balance, destroy it, and then dash him on the ground (or, if available, a fire hydrant). Then usually it goes to a choke or strangle.

What I found in my limited experience outside the dojo is that an opponent has no idea of what to do in response to a judo attack. Before he can respond, his feet are up level with his head and he's helplessly flying toward a very debilitating impact.

As a judoka, I would love to be attacked like the guy in the video, where the attacker grabbed him by the lapels with both hands. It's a boilerplate judo stance. ON THE OTHER HAND, I'll guarantee you that the head-butt would have k.o.'ed me just like it did the victim in the video . Why? Because I have an essentially defensive mindset and I would not have expected the confrontation to escalate instantly. So KenpoTex, I agree with you strongly.

I'll repeat my earlier claim: the real effectiveness lies with whoever can execute his technique first.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c3ks View Post
    Pro2A- since you dig funny martial arts clips from Youtube, I figured I would share one of my favorites with you. It's probably all the self-defense instruction you will ever need.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y

Bas is the man.
    Interesting. Some of those locks are what Aikido teaches.

It takes a lot of practice to stay on top.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Like what other people have said already, I think any martial art applied in a realistic manner can be used to gain the upper hand in fighting. Just don't adhere to things in a textbook manner.

For example, I'm currently taking Fencing (foil, but soon sabre as well) as a class at my University, and truthfully, I feel a little more confident in my ability to fight and win (unarmed and with a knife). This isn't because I'm going to use fencing stances and techniques to fight and win (what a pipe dream), its that I'm going to apply the motions and bodily movement that I've learned to read and react to, as well the movements I've learned to defend (basically the parries, but four basic movement to keep blows from landing), to keep myself conscious and alive and in position to do some serious damage.

Really, if anything at all, its a confidence booster and fundamental training tool. We fight at 100%, and try to "kill" each other with slender, stabbing swords. It helps develop a "combat" mentality. The blades move at speeds faster than a punch can be delivered (the tip of the blade has the leverage produced from the length of the blade and the wrist, as well as the forward movement of the arm), so it helps reaction times and identification.

So, it doesn't directly help me with non-sport fighting, but there are many things learned and practiced that have the potential of giving me advantages. Besides all that, its fun for me as well, though I've gotten some deep bruises before from blades breaking off on my leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Rock View Post
    I'm currently taking Fencing
    Ain't it a trip? I loved fencing and found it very educational and enlightening.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
    Ain't it a trip? I loved fencing and found it very educational and enlightening.
    Oh it's great, got second place in my first ever beginners tournament (intraclass though, between the 3 classes). Lost 9-10 to someone who had two years of experience ahead of me (the class was my first ever experience of fencing).

Apparently they were impressed, got me signed up for the school team and I'm doing the intermediate class come January. Though I'm not complaining, I love every minute of it.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I have wanted to learn fencing as long as I can remember. Ironically, one of the nation's top fencing instructors lived about a half hour away for years and I didn't. I used to rent movies out to him when I worked at a video store. I checked out some fencing books at the town library and noticed the author's name in two of them looked familiar. I looked at the picture in the back of one of the books and I had actually met the guy! Unfortunately, he moved away within weeks of my discovery, so no luck.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Did you catch the "Human Weapon" series on the History Channel? Here's a link to the Krav Maga episode: http://www.history.com/minisite.do?c...&mini_id=54986

I have been training in Kenpo Karate for over 20 years. I received my black belt in 1993. My studio was not one to hand out belts because a contract was signed. I would stay away from schools that guarantee a belt in any period of time.

I am also a certified Defensive Tactics Instructor for my Police Dept. In my experience as a martial artist, I would say that it is the artist, not the art that will win the fight. I don't care if you are a boxer, wrestler, take Kenpo, Judo, Tang Soo Do or Aikido. If you train hard, and have a big heart you will win the fight.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links