Martial arts

Martial arts

This is a discussion on Martial arts within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone here know any martial arts? I took Aikido as a teenager. I'm no blackbelt, and haven't taken classes in years, but I remember a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Martial arts

Anyone here know any martial arts? I took Aikido as a teenager. I'm no blackbelt, and haven't taken classes in years, but I remember a few moves and practice them at home often, open palm hit, wrist lock etc... Aikido teaches you where all the joint locks on the body are, so if you do knock a BG out, or to the ground, you can lock him in place no matter how big he is until LE arrives.

Ahh...gotta love archives. These other threads should get you going...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=33899
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=27983
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=13995
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ead.php?t=9821
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ead.php?t=9649

If you're looking for something practical on the street check these guys out. I don't know if any of these PA locations are near you, but it's worth a shot to go check them out one day if one is close.
    http://www.fight2survive.com/locations.php?state=pa
    Last edited by packinnova; December 17th, 2007 at 05:42 PM. Reason: forgot the link...oops
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

AMH
    I have several years experience with martial arts.
    Make sure what ever system you get into that you have live training with a resisting partner. Also, stay away from any sort of contract requirements. And stay away from "mcdojos". Read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDojo

If your not sparing than your not training.

Edited: Hey mods, can I list a name of another forum that will really help this guy?
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    If your not sparing than your not training.
    Amen to that...and sparring hard...a bloody nose will teach you alot.
    But so does control..but you have to spar...I took my son out a dojo because they wouldnt spar....put him back in at my old school.

I'm a 3rd degree black belt SiKang (an offshoot of Tae Kwon Do with less high kicks and more hard fist punches)...and was a bouncer for 4 years, and I'm only a little guy. You can never be really good at it if you dont get to use it.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Almost 40 years ago I took up Hapkido while in Korea, it's similar to Taekwondo with jujitsu and aikido thrown in. I taught for many years and fought during the infancy of full contact with the likes of Demetrius Havanas and Bill Wallace (now I feel older than dirt). Most schools will give you free introductory lessons or a least watch a class. Picking a school and it's teacher is a personal thing, just like choosing a CCW. You can get all the advice you desire from others, but at some point you must choose. My .02 cents worth is to stay away from the schools were you're taught to fight in formalized patterns. Bruce Lee once said, "If you train to fight in a formalized pattern you will only ever be as good a fighter as the pattern it's self".
    Make sure they spar, with the proper equipment of course, sparing is how you learn and become skilled. Don't be afraid to get hit, that's part of the learning. Lastly stay away from the schools that advertise "death grips, vibrating palm, rip an opponents heart out" kinda sales gimmicks. I'm not saying they don't exist, but like UFO's I've never seen one, but most of the people who are trying to get me to believe in UFO's also like to wear aluminum foil hats.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

I am a third degree black belt - Moo Duk Kwan version of Tae Kwon Do. I started in the military and when I got out I got hooked up with some Koreans and ran a school for 20 years - I quit when my knees started giving out. I can still do a few things, but you have to stay active with it to be very good.

There has been a lot of commercialization of the martial arts. Since not everyone likes to get hit, there has been a proliferation of no-contact schools. I would stay away from those. Find a school that allows a bit of the real deal and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner665 View Post
    Amen to that...and sparring hard...a bloody nose will teach you alot.
    But so does control..but you have to spar...I took my son out a dojo because they wouldnt spar....put him back in at my old school.

I'm a 3rd degree black belt SiKang (an offshoot of Tae Kwon Do with less high kicks and more hard fist punches)...and was a bouncer for 4 years, and I'm only a little guy. You can never be really good at it if you dont get to use it.
    This is exactly why I went with the Haganah/F.I.G.H.T system I found. You can't train in that without the sparring. The entire time I was there it was basically constant sparring. And you train in your street attire(except for the shoes...dress shoes are an obvious no-no), no funky uniforms or anything, just what you're comfortable in. I came home bruised and battered most nights. It wasn't from the instructors trying to show people up or anything(as you see in most mcdojo's). It's just a fact or reality of constantly sparring with various folks for a few hours every other night. You're going to get hit and it's going to hurt even if they are trying to "pull" the punches.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I started with Shorin Ryu Karate, dabbled in a lot of other stuff, eventually moved on to Kali Silat, and right now I am playing with Hayastan a little. Karate was fun, and I thought I could fight until I played with some scenario training and realized sparring is just another game to learn from, but doesn't reflect real fighting or self defense in the least. Hayastan is the most "intelligent" grappling system I have ever come across, but it is still primarily a sport system more suited for MMA than real self defense. Kali Silat is a challenging and very educational martial art but the learning curve is pretty high, and it takes quite a while to get somewhat proficient with it.

Realistically speaking, any program that emphasizes situational awareness, scenario training, legal aspects of the employment of weapons (and the ability to do so under duress), and how to handle the aftermath of an aggressive encounter will always trump formal martial arts classes in my opinion.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    Since not everyone likes to get hit, there has been a proliferation of no-contact schools. I would stay away from those.
    I studied judo for a few years, did the USJA competitions and stuff like that. We always sparred, but never got hit because hitting isn't a part of judo.

Despite the lack of punching and taking punches, judo is an eminently practical style, very useful on the street. I highly recommend it.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

Muay Thai and Boxing mainly. Dabled in Escrima, Kali and Jiu Jitsu. Recently, I have gotten into Krav Maga and like it. Very practical and easy to learn. No katas, no uniforms, very straight forward. I still spar a few times a week in Muay Thai and I agree with the statement about sparring. It's been several years since I've been knocked out, but I think it's good for people to know if they if they can take a punch. Punching/hitting pads is will not prepare you for a fight.

One thing I do like about Krav Maga is that we are taken through scenarios where they try to create as close to a real life stressful situation as possible. Some of the scenarios include being attacked (sometimes by multiple people) in complete darkness or being blindfolded with music playing so loud you can't hear anything around you.

I have read good things about F.I.G.H.T. on the internet, but no one I know has trained in it. It looks interesting.

Whatever you do in martial arts- commit to it. I know a lot of people that start and quit. Or dabble in it and have a false sense of security- kinda like the suburban housewives who think they can fend off an attacker because they do TaeBo at the healthclub.
    ---
    It is said that the nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.

As a child starting in 4th grade I had four years of Judo. Then starting in 10th grade I took Shorin Ryu a form of Chinese martial arts for 9 years. The instructor was also a former Marine, so he taught the upper class (brown and black belts only) allot of real world confrontational, and self defense with knifes and sidearms. And the assistant instructor was a former Vietnam monk. Real treat to watch and learn from him...

And for a couple of years, I worked at the dojo part-time teaching a woman’s self defense class.

I am now 25 years out of practice and out of shape, but, the funny thing is its ingrain upon my instinct, which worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    There has been a lot of commercialization of the martial arts. Since not everyone likes to get hit, there has been a proliferation of no-contact schools. I would stay away from those. Find a school that allows a bit of the real deal and see how it goes.
    Aikido is more of a defensive martial art. Most martial arts seem to be about bone breaking and offensive. Aikido uses joints, and the attackers energy to throw him down. If you hold and lock a joint just right, the attacker will have no choice but to fall. I remember when I was taking it, I was throwing other class mates double my size to the ground. As you can see here in this video, he's not destroying his attacker, just rendering him harmless. What they don't show, and what thy do teach is how to hold and lock the BG into place once he is on the ground. Its a good martial art if youre not into breaking noses, pain and lots of painful physical contact. The man in the black pants is the Aikido master.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPx7IAlRj_A

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    The man in the black pants is the Aikido master.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPx7IAlRj_A
    Dude, that was hilarious.
    ---
    It is said that the nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.

Thats why I like Aikido. Other martial arts concentrate on kicking each others butts. If you have two people being offensive you'll get no where. You need to learn to defend from an agressor, not attack back. Thats what Aikido teaches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links