Defense options in Hawaii with (maybe?) add'l complications?

This is a discussion on Defense options in Hawaii with (maybe?) add'l complications? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all... Time to draw on the vast bank of knowledge here yet again. I'm going to be spending Christmas in Hawaii this year, (woohoo!), ...

Hey all... Time to draw on the vast bank of knowledge here yet again. I'm going to be spending Christmas in Hawaii this year, (woohoo!), leaving this Tuesday. Obviously, my Glock will be staying home. :-/ So, that would limit my defense options to my remaining EDC gear of 4" Benchmade, Sabre Red OC, and Kubaton. First off, I assume all these items are ok for bringing to HI, as I didn't see any laws restricting any of them, but if anybody knows otherwise, please speak up.

Then this is where the (maybe) additional complication comes in. We're going out there to visit my gf's dad who is stationed at Pearl Harbor for Navy duty (rough place to be posted, huh?), and will be staying on base in military housing. Does this limit my defense options? Not sure what security measures are in place on base, if it'll be like an airport, or if I can bring whatever I want on base, or..? I appreciate any info, thanks..!
    .40 is fine.

been a long time since i was on base (u.s.n.)retired. and not to sure with the world situation as it is now just how strict the security is for visitors. but if you are just going into the population areas it shouldnt be a prob. as you will be with the active duty person you will be visiting.. the guards can and will stop any visitor if they suspect anything is out of sorts. good luck its a great place..

I'm envious, given the weather further East of you. Sorry I can't help you except a caution about certain parts of Honolulu, which your hosts will doubtless know about. The greatest danger I ever faced there was driving my sister's 1967 Carmengia convertible. Have fun! Oh, and make sure NOT to get on a surfboard on the North side of the island this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by hayley View Post
    Sorry I can't help you except a caution about certain parts of Honolulu, which your hosts will doubtless know about.
    Not to be the slow kid in class, but just in case our host *doesn't* know, what's the caution about Honolulu? Bad part of the island?

And don't worry there's little danger of me getting on a surfboard at all, let alone on a particularly rough section of water. I'm a land lover, straight up.

Trying to decide what all to pack, too, does it stay pretty warm out there this time of year?
    .40 is fine.

VIP Member
    I won't return to Hawaii for anything...they can have the whole maryann...I have never wasted so much cash in my entire life as being conned into a vacation to this giant money vacum.....The sad part is if I would have put that into say, a nice 1911,or an new AR,...I would at least still have them rather than just a bad taste in my mouth when I hear the "H" word....my.02

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Griblik View Post
    Trying to decide what all to pack, too, does it stay pretty warm out there this time of year?
    The weather is virtually always the same at sea level in the islands---highs 75-80F, lows 65-70F. On Hawaii itself, very little rain on the Kona coast, lots of rain on the Hilo side.

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    I won't return to Hawaii for anything...they can have the whole maryann...I have never wasted so much cash in my entire life as being conned into a vacation to this giant money vacum.....The sad part is if I would have put that into say, a nice 1911,or an new AR,...I would at least still have them rather than just a bad taste in my mouth when I hear the "H" word....my.02
    Haha, to be honest, Hawaii is fairly low on my list of places to visit as well, and if I were going to be dropping AR-type cash to do so, I'd be enjoying the rain and a new AR for Christmas. :-) But, between staying for free on base and having frequent flyer miles paying for most all of the plane ticket, I'm spending something more like Hi-Point money to go, and that, I can deal with. :-)

So it sounds like the rest of my gear will be ok then?
    .40 is fine.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I wouldnt think a kubotan would raise eyebrows tho i might well pack it in non take on luggage . For myself i would not fly with aerosol defenses be they packed , carried , stored , what lol . My honest recommendation is to now practice a limp ( they wont take away yer walkin stick ) and pick up a sturdy cane for judicious prop and useage . Heck if you dont have training with a stick you can still poke em like a pool cue , and whack em like a farmer killin a snake while keeping out of knife range .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

When I fly I've got a Surefire 6PD. SAK is in the belly of the plane. And I normally buy a small can of spray while Im staying wherever I'm staying.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

"Not to be the slow kid in class, but just in case our host *doesn't* know, what's the caution about Honolulu? Bad part of the island?"

I only have knowledge as a visitor, through my sister who lived there for five years. My impression is that the crime rate is comparatively low and property crime--theft mostly--far out paces violent crime. I was told that I, as a Caucasian (and I imagine Blacks too), should avoid certain ethnic areas of the city after business hours. Like other places there is a drug problem, and recently it includes Meth, so...

Links