Why knife carry?

This is a discussion on Why knife carry? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've noticed alot of people carry a knife along with a gun. What is the advantage to having a knife? When would one use the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why knife carry?

VIP Member

Why knife carry?

I've noticed alot of people carry a knife along with a gun. What is the advantage to having a knife? When would one use the knife rather than the gun? I'm aware of how handy a knife is to have, I carry a pocket knife. I'm talking tactical here.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Simply put, sometimes you can't get to your gun, or can't have it with you - or are fighting for it, and need a second weapon to ensure you don't lose the gun.

When I carry my 9mm, I also have a Ka-Bar TDI on my left (weak) side. If someone attempts to lift my weapon (or I have drawn and they are fighting for it) then the little Ka-Bar comes out. Its all about weapon retention.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

AMH
    I carry a knife as more of a tool than a weapon. But I will use it as a weapon if needed.
    As stated by many before me, “I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it”.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    I've noticed alot of people carry a knife along with a gun. What is the advantage to having a knife? When would one use the knife rather than the gun? I'm aware of how handy a knife is to have, I carry a pocket knife. I'm talking tactical here.
    Actually, I find it easier to cut open boxes.
    I tried shooting them open but some of the stuff inside was fragile.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Weapon retention is the main reason. In a fight, you might not be able to get your gun out and your blade will have to do the fighting. Also, if you are in a no carry place or state in which carry is not allowed, a knife might be the only means of protecting yourself. I carry a pistol, two knives, and OC spray. They all have their uses. Training should be properly addressed for each of them.

There's a number of tactical advantages a knife has over a gun in specific situations(besides the everyday useful tool parts).

Picture for example:
    Someone bum-rushes you from up close and you don't have time to deploy your firearm. Now you're on your back and he's mounted on you and pummeling the hell out of you. Can you get to your holstered firearm while mounted? Doubtful...I've tried. The next best option is to wear a quick-opening or assisted opening knife in a carpenter jeans pocket (well below where you would normally be mounted from). This way you can reach around his/her leg while you're mounted and deploy your knife. I'd much rather be poking the bugger in various vital organs with my knife then getting pummeled to death or worse.

That's just ONE scenario of many.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Definately weapon retention. It is carried for the same reason as the gun, self defense. It is a tool to be used in H2H when a weapon cannot be employed.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    +1 But will deff use it if I have to!

you will also use it a lot more than what you thought you might of.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    +1 for me....

I use it more as a tool, and have never used
    a knife as a weapon.

It's just a tool but knowing it's there sure makes me feel good. Like a watch or ring... feel naked without it.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Senior Moderator
    Agreed... Weapon retention first and formost. I usually carry somewhere around three-four knives. One a fixed blade, the other folders, because let's be realistic. If I don't have time to draw a gun or am fighting over it, I also don't have time to flip open a folding blade.

That, and if I shoot my gun empty and I'm still in danger, I have a weapon that will never run out of ammo as long as I'm still breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post

All of the above.......plus, well, I just like knives.

Lots of interesting scenarios but has anyone actually used their knife instead of their gun in self defense? If so, why?

I've used a knife because I didn't have a gun. I made it out alive.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links