OC spray pattern

OC spray pattern

This is a discussion on OC spray pattern within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 'tis the season..... I give my wife a new OC (Fox) canister every year in her stocking (I'm a real romantic ). I know the ...

OC spray pattern

'tis the season.....

I give my wife a new OC (Fox) canister every year in her stocking (I'm a real romantic ). I know the shelf life for OC is years, but I like to keep it fresh and it provides a great excuse to practice with the old one.

I've always liked the "stream" spray due to increased range and decreased likelihood of blowback towards the user if there's any wind, but was wondering if anyone preferred the wider "cone" dispersal pattern, and if so, why?

Assistant Administrator
    ''Stream" for me too - I get the impression overall that most favor this.

I have never tried the ''fog'' variant but certainly feel it's limited range and risk of blow-back makes it potentially less effective and perhaps bad for the user!

My wife and I have one each - and thus far have not deployed either so am going by supposition more than direct experience.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have experienced quite a bit of stream "splash back" when used on "assailant" in close proximity. I much prefer cone pattern myself. Cone is also more effective when it contacts the assailant because the OC chemical is released quicker from the atomized "carrier" liquid.

i am aslo like and EDC carry the stream because on the range mostley, its a OC gel havent tried it yet but it looks nasty.
    But i like the fog to so i carry it sometimes. the andvatage of the fog is that its easier inhaled, making it really hard to breathe. but not so god range and chance to blow back.

I have heard that gel/foam can potentially be "scooped up and re-used" by the intended target against the shooter.

Also:

http://www.zarc.com/english/other_sprays/foam/
    "One of the reasons the military abandoned the use of foam, was the potential of gagging, vomiting and choking, due to entry of foam bubbles into the respiratory system during rapid inhalation."

"Foam is also messy, and will cause further contamination, when it gets on clothing, furniture or patrol car seats."
    I'll stick with the cone pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    I have heard that gel/foam can potentially be "scooped up and re-used" by the intended target against the shooter.

Also:

http://www.zarc.com/english/other_sprays/foam/

I'll stick with the cone pattern.
    yes i have heard that it could be "re-used thrown back" but only about the foam the gel should be really hard to just scoop it of seem impossible
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I prefer the stream over the spray, 'cause it's all about shot placement Seriously, tho, while you may get some splash-back from the stream, the spray seams to always get me at least a little.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The foam is more like an oily shaving cream. It's a little hard to grab and throw. My job has used the cone spray, stream and the foam. The one common thread is the fact that NONE of them possessed any type of fight stopping ability at all. The best result of any of them was getting the BG to turn his or her head for a second so that other fight stopping measures could be applied.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I've never used the foam.

I have used both the fog (cone) and the stream varieties, though.

In actual usage, I've found the fog to be the most effective. You get the full respiratory effects. I used the stream on one cranked-up wifebeater, and got him in both eyes and one nostril. (You basically draw a "T" on his face - eyes, nose and mouth) He couldn't see, but still put up one heck of a fight. Another officer and I wrestled with him for about 2 minutes before we were able to get him cuffed.

With the fog, they tended to go down right away, coughing, gagging, and crying for mama.

One caveat: with the fog, you have to be mindful of wind direction. If the wind is really strong, that's a consideration for the stream as well. I recall trying to spray an aggressive dog once, and watching the stream blow harmlessly off to the side after only a couple of feet. Fortunately, Cujo ran right into it.

Links