Spitfire pepper spray

Spitfire pepper spray

This is a discussion on Spitfire pepper spray within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking into getting some spitfire pepper spray for myself and family. Anyone know how effective it is compared to other types of sprays? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire pepper spray

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Spitfire pepper spray

I am looking into getting some spitfire pepper spray for myself and family. Anyone know how effective it is compared to other types of sprays?
    http://www.spitfire.us/about.htm
    Last edited by rocky; December 20th, 2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: added link to product

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I am looking into getting some spitfire pepper spray for myself and family. Anyone know how effective it is compared to other types of sprays?
    My personal preference is Fox....but I don't have any experience with spitfire.

I have seen their advertisement videos and they just don't give me a warm fuzzy from a "deployment" aspect......but I guess that reflects more on their marketing than on the product itself.

You can't go wrong with Fox though IMHO.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I use Sabre Red. From this site's independent tests, that tested the best. Spitfire tested really well too.

http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/re...ray-heat.shtml

Spitfire is a good self defense spray and is consistently hot. I have talked with the president of Spitfire and he developed the product after a couple of personal situations where pepper spray could have stopped an attack. The problem is a lot of guys give their wife a large 4 ounce can of OC and expect her to have it in her hand all the time and it just doesn’t work. A small key chain spray can be just as effective as a larger 2-4 ounce canister. I know because I have been sprayed with two key chain units (mace brand triple action, and Sabre) and they both put me out for at least 20 minutes. Here are the Specs:

Spitfire Pepper Spray

10% Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) Oil Based 1.4% Major Capsaicinoids 200,000 at the nozzle heat.

Cone Fog spray pattern (Easier to hit face of attacker and severe respiratory effect)

2 Year Shelf Life (Expiration date and serial number on every canister)

4.5 Grams 8 shots or 4 seconds of continues spray out to 8 feet.

Inert practice canisters readily available

Every batch is libratory HPLC tested to guarantee heat rating

Protected by 4 patents form the US Patent Office

Spring Loaded child resistant safety won’t go off unless you want it to

Snap Free Key Chain allows you to instantly detach unit from keys during a road rage encounter

Refillable dispenser

Ultrasonically welded unit is robust and waterproof

I sprayed the Spitfire and walked into the area and let’s just say this stuff is one of the most potent sprays I have experienced so strong it cleared out the house for about an hour. You won’t go wrong with the Spitfire. If you buy it pick up the twin pack practice canister set and have your wife practice spraying you during different attack scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I use Sabre Red. From this site's independent tests, that tested the best. Spitfire tested really well too.

Pepper Spray Effectiveness - We Guarantee Heat Ratings
    Thanks for this link morintp...Good stuff to know. I was able to pick up some Sabre Red Pepper at a local running store yesterday for 10 bucks. It comes with a detachable key chain. I originally went to pick some up for the wife but ended up getting one for myself as well. Not every situation calls for a
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

The wife and I both carry a Spitfire unit on our keychain....just in case.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Pepper Spray Effectiveness - We Guarantee Heat Ratings
    I would love to see how a "online store" came up with their "independent" results. Just so happens that they sell the same products that scored the highest.

As for the best spray, Fox Labs has consistently outperformed the competition year after year. It has the highest SHU rating of any spray on the market today. Percentages don't mean a thing when it comes to sprays, it the quality of the Oleoresin Capsicum extract that is the key to the pain a attacker feels.

Chromatography is used to determine the amount of OC in any given mix and Scoville Heat Units (SHU) is used to determine how "hot' the OC feels. The SHU is the most important rating when it comes to finding the best sprays.

FYI - Fox labs holds the record at 5.3 million SHU in a 2% pepper solution and has held that record since 1998. Again, this is just proof that percentages of OC mean squat, it's all in the quality of the extracted OC.
    Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

Fox labs states they provide 5.3 million but the test showed only 79,200. Since the govt. doesn't oversee what you can and can't state, who's to say they arn't lieing. And actually if you look at the chart, the Sabre red and Spitfire did better than the their own brand.

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    Fox labs states they provide 5.3 million but the test showed only 79,200. Since the govt. doesn't oversee what you can and can't state, who's to say they arn't lieing. And actually if you look at the chart, the Sabre red and Spitfire did better than the their own brand.
    Can you provide links to the claim of 79,200 SHU?
    Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

The chart is the link...It was done by AOAC international. They independently test a wide variety of products from food to chemicals to chemicals in food. These are the results of the AOAC test...not their own. I'll admit that for them to highlight their brand and put it at the top of the list is mis-leading. If you wern't paying attention to the numbers you could easily be fooled.

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    According to Fox Labs' own labelling, the maximum SHU their spray would provide is 106,000 SHU. Or 2% of 5,300,000 SHU. But it tested at 79,200 in the test which is a bit lower.

You're right Fastcloud, the test was run independently and them highlighting their own brand and moving it to the top of the list is misleading. The big thing are the companies that will guarantee their heat rating. This shows confidence in their product. Sure, it's not like any of us would be able to test it, but it's nice to know.

I can't recomend Sabre Red OC spray enough; I am very pleased with it. I can't speak for Spitfire personally though.

To date, I've seen DPS, Fox Labs, and Sabre Red all been used many times, and I would have no problem carrying any of the three. I just happen to have more experience with the Sabre Red, and trust it to do as well as a job as OC spray can in a given situation.
    Beretta 92FS

I personally have used FOX in a self-defense situation before and itís a very quick acting formula. I used a 2 OZ. can in the fog spray configuration. Trust me this stuff really works! I just bought another. Cool bonus about FOX pepper spray is that they typically have the date they were manufactured printed on the can. This is very important to know because OC sprays leak their propellant gas out slowly over time, rendering them ineffectual -- I test fired a couple of sprays that were 3 years old and they all dribbled down my hand. I wouldn't trust a can 2 OZ. or smaller to last longer than 2 years i.e. so test fire them and then pitch'em. I know its kind of expensive but why carry something if you cant trust it?

According to Fox Labs' own labelling, the maximum SHU their spray would provide is 106,000 SHU. Or 2% of 5,300,000 SHU. But it tested at 79,200 in the test which is a bit lower.

You're right Fastcloud, the test was run independently and them highlighting their own brand and moving it to the top of the list is misleading. The big thing are the companies that will guarantee their heat rating. This shows confidence in their product. Sure, it's not like any of us would be able to test it, but it's nice to know.
    yes in this chart 106,000 is the out the nozzle heat How Hot Is Your OC? but then in this its even lower Pepper Spray Effectiveness - We Guarantee Heat Ratings so my choise would be sabre or the mace gel thats have the most Total Capsaicinoids content.

Well, I have actually used Fox labs before and it really works well. I think its hard to say which spray is better than the next b/c all of these different "independent tests" clearly are just trying to heighten the sales of one product over another. --- I would recommend Fox to anyone b/c I sprayed someone to defend myself and it took the fight out of him right away. Itís very potent it made everyone in the entire apartment gag. I used the 2 oz. can with the fog cone dispersal. Also the Fox labs spray comes w/ a born on date Ė so you know when you should ditch it because the propellant leaks out over time and if you press the trigger the pepper solution just runs out of the nozzle and down your hand (this happened to me w/ a Ĺ oz. can from some manufacturer canít remember). Personally I would only keep a 2 oz can for 2 years b/c after that I donít trust them. Also I would never get the tiny cans (under 2 oz.) b/c they are small that I believe that the propellant gases will leak out in even less than 2 years (see above story!) rendering them useless. Also those tiny pepper sprays normally donít have the born on date stamped on the canister so the damn spray could be useless before you even buy it!!! I would recommend trying a product before carrying it. I mean we all shoot our carry guns to make sure they work right???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links