Virginia Knife Law ? ? ?

Virginia Knife Law ? ? ?

This is a discussion on Virginia Knife Law ? ? ? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before I start, lets just say that I absolutely love my Ka-Bar TDI 1480 (the small one marketed as a last-ditch LEO tool). I have ...

Thread: Virginia Knife Law ? ? ?

Virginia Knife Law ? ? ?

Before I start, lets just say that I absolutely love my Ka-Bar TDI 1480 (the small one marketed as a last-ditch LEO tool). I have two, each only cost about $30. I have one set up for weak-hand grab when I carry, and another set for right hand grab when I go in an area that doesn't allow ccws. All you do is flip the sheath around ! ! The knife is neat in that it draws like a pistol and only has a 2.31 inch blade -- municipal friendly and perfect for no-frills defense ! !

That being said I want the larger bladed TDI for outdoors, camping and last ditch defense against furry predators. The large has a 3.8 inch blade. Most of the knives I have only have 3 in. or less. I was wondering if I can legally carry blades larger than 3 inches on my person -- VA laws are very vague and confusing ??

Thanks in advance.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by From the Virginia State Police

§ 18.2-311. Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, or like weapons, such person shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.
    § 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

N. As used in this article:

"Ballistic knife" means any knife with a detachable blade that is propelled by a spring-operated mechanism.
    Basically, balisongs, machetes, switchblades, blade launchers, etc... In this case, vague wording works in the favor of the knife owner. I'd think your Kabar is perfectly fine to carry.

thank you
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Basically, balisongs, machetes, switchblades, blade launchers, etc... In this case, vague wording works in the favor of the knife owner. I'd think your Kabar is perfectly fine to carry.
    The only thing I've been worried about is that same vagueness(is that a word) could be construed to be used against us.

Example would be this part:
    any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection
    Just about any fixed blade would fall under "like kind" in regards to the bowie.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member
    I called the Va. State Police ( Richmond office ) and asked the desk sargent if you could carry a spring assist opening knife and what lenght blade you could carry in your pocket . He told me you could not carry a spring assist knife but you can carry any lenght pocket knife that you want .

thank you redrick. I may have to follow up on that by calling the StatPol and asking them a couple more questions.
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

VIP Member
    The VA LEOs I know are pretty unanimous on knives. No fixed blade may be concealed, but open carry of them is ok. Any folding blade is ok concealed.

Spring assist knives are allowed in VA if you are Fire/EMT/LEO. Generally dealers will ask for some ID before selling you such a knife.

Checking with your local VSP and Sheriff's office is a good idea. Also your Commonwealth's Atty.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    The VA LEOs I know are pretty unanimous on knives. No fixed blade may be concealed, but open carry of them is ok. Any folding blade is ok concealed.

Spring assist knives are allowed in VA if you are Fire/EMT/LEO. Generally dealers will ask for some ID before selling you such a knife.

Checking with your local VSP and Sheriff's office is a good idea. Also your Commonwealth's Atty.
    Im iffy on the spring assisted statement. Quite frankly I think they'd lose in court (the LEO's) on that statement. The law is clear on that one.
    (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack;
    Switchblade is SPECIFIC. The name itself gives it away. It needs a Switch ie button to count. What most of us non-leo's carry doesn't count because there's no button and requires manual movement of the blade to open.

Then again...I'm no lawyer so take it with a grain of salt.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member
    I don't want to spend the money to find out in court , I don't know about ya'll but it's not worth it to me even if get dismissed in court . I don't want all the stress that comes with court .

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I don't want to spend the money to find out in court , I don't know about ya'll but it's not worth it to me even if get dismissed in court . I don't want all the stress that comes with court .
    Seriously...if it's any assisted openers why haven't they busted half the knife store operations in the state? Go into any reasonably stocked knife store in the state and they're going to have the kershaw assisted openers and they will sell them to you LE/EMS or not.

-The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    When I used to volunteer for the Sheriff's office in my hometown, nobody ever said anything about the TDI I concealed under my shirt. Then again it does have a smaller blade than normal.
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Links