Looking for a decent knife sharpener . . .

This is a discussion on Looking for a decent knife sharpener . . . within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, my name is JeffLrrp and I'm addicted to guns, flashlights and knives. I started out with 1 gun (a Ruger 10/22). I now have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for a decent knife sharpener . . .

Hello, my name is JeffLrrp and I'm addicted to guns, flashlights and knives.

I started out with 1 gun (a Ruger 10/22). I now have 5. I started out with one Surefire. I now have 4. I bought my first 'decent' knife when I was seventeen (a spyderco delica). I now have 10 knives. Most of them cheapies.

Can anybody recommend me an inexpensive (read: less than $30) knife sharpener so I can get my cheapie blades razor sharp. I have a couple of Walmart-bought Smith Sharpeners that are only really good for touching up a blade. I want one that'll really do a decent job. I plan on getting a couple more knives in the future (prolly Spydies or Ka-bars), so I wanted to be able to sharpen them too.

Thanks in advance
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    If you can sharpen by hand well, without a guide, I highly suggest a DMT fine grit diamond sharpener. I have coarse, fine, and extra fine, and can get mine shaving sharp pretty easily. They last forever.

If you need a guide, spyderco makes one, I think it's called a sharpmaker, but I can't remember. People have said it works really well, but I've always been a freehand sharpener, so I wouldn't know.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Accusharp is by far the best cheap sharpener available. Simple and easy to use. Runs less than $12. I've been using one for about 8 years and it works great. You won't get an anally compulsive edge on it. But it will be sharp enough after you use it. I use one to sharpen knives while butchering hogs. Best tool next to the knife.

Accusharp
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is a great tool and can be had at less that the $75.00 MSRP for around $50.00 for the basic set. This and a leather strop- you will be push cutting paper like a pro.

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=3595

This is hard to beat for serious sharpening unless you want to spend $350.00 for an EdgePro.

VIP Member
    Here is the best one I've come across...

http://www.warthogsharp.com/
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I would suggest Buying Arkansas oil stones or Japanese Water stones, With practice anyone can learn to use them. You can get a soft and a hard Arkansas stone for under $10.00. Once you learn to use stones you can even use different rocks found in nature.

Personally I find that one can get a better edge with stones then any other means. It just takes practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Locopelli View Post
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is a great tool and can be had at less that the $75.00 MSRP for around $50.00 for the basic set. This and a leather strop- you will be push cutting paper like a pro.
    I use a Sharpmaker with great results.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

What Would Gumby Do?

The best I've used is the Lansky Deluxe Diamond knife sharpening system.

I've taken blades that were trashed and put a nice new edge on them.

I used to have the non diamond kit. I gave it to my son. the diamond kit does an even quicker job of it.

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/

I start with a sharpmaker then finish with two strops I have loaded with some compound I got from Mike Stewert at Bark River knives. They get my blades really sharp I love this combo

I use a DMT coarse/fine myself.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

I've always had good luck with the Lansky system. I need to buy myself one finally, as my brother and friend both wanted theirs back....
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Avoid those pass-through sharpeners (Accusharp, Samarai, etc.) if you want the best edge possible. If you want something that keeps the proper angle, then Lansky and other systems like it will work very well for you. Their only drawback is that the angle gets kind of funny at the tips of curved blade knives. It's unbeatable for chisel edges and straight blades though. If you are looking for good stones for unassisted sharpening, then it's hard to beat Japanese water stones or even good Arkansas stones. Just make sure they don't get concave on you. If they do, it's time to flip 'em over or get some new ones.

Jason

If you use stones and they get concave from extensive use they can be flattened by taking a large sheet of glass, supported by plywood, put sand and water on glass, hone the stone with circular motion pressing lightly. This wears down the ends till it is flat. Eventually the stone will wear out but it saves having to throw it away.
    sensei2 likes this.

I have and have used various systems, from Japanese water stones, Arkansas stones, Diamond plates, Lansky systems, and Spyderco sharpmaker, and find that I turn to my Sharpmaker most often for its ease and efficency. I keep it in its case on top of the refrigerator where I can quickly get to it, set it up, hone an edge, and get back to work. Little fuss or mess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links