spring-assisted knife

spring-assisted knife

This is a discussion on spring-assisted knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is their a difference between a switchblade and a spring-assist knife?...

spring-assisted knife

Is their a difference between a switchblade and a spring-assist knife?
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Question

As far as I know, a switchblade has a lock holding it closed. Releasing the lock or pushing the button snaps the blade open from fully closed.
    Assisted knives require you to manually open the blade to 30 to 50 degrees before the spring takes over. LEO and others may have differing opinions.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I know in VA its not considered a "full-auto" knife or a "switchblade",...

But I prefer wave-openers

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I was the gerbralter gun show and they had a couple of these "assisted" knives. Push a button and the blade snapped open. They were selling to anyone...
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Assisted opening knives require an initial push of the blade. If all it takes is punching a button, it's an automatic knife (legal here in good old Arizona).

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Assisted opening knives require an initial push of the blade. If all it takes is punching a button, it's an automatic knife (legal here in good old Arizona).
    I've looked at the Benchmade automatics at Ruffs up here in Flag, they're really nice knives but was always a little apprehensive about the "locks" Plus I could buy a pretty good pistol for the price of one. Are they legal to carry under our Arizona CWP?
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    According to Michigan statutes, any knife being able to be opened by pressing a button, squeezing the handle, or any other mechanical means is illegal. Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for/getting at. (MCLA 750.226a)
    Texas's definition:
    " 'Switchblade knife' means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:
    (A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or
    (B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force."

There are several court cases involving part (B) recited above as pertains to knives which are manually opened by the blade but which have a much quicker spring action than traditional pocket knives. So far as I know all of these cases have been either thrown out or resulted in not guilty verdicts. Needless to say a lot of manufacturers such as Spyderco and SOG were interested in the outcome of these cases.

Distinguished Member
    Someone in Va. brought this up about a week ago . At the time I was looking to get a assisted opening knife so I called the Richmond State Police Headquaters and talked to the duty sargent . He told me it was considered a switchblade . I called Chesterfield the sargent there told me he thought it was ok , but it could depend on the officer . Carrying one is not worth the chance to me because if you do get arrested for carrying one the judge is going to make that decession . It's not worth the money I might have to spend to get out of it or the time I will miss from work , not to mention the stress . I am not trying to tell anyone what to do (not that anyone will listen ) I am just giving you something to think about . Even if the officer is wrong I don't want to be locked up any amount of time .

I work in a school, a nice rural FL school. No firearms...,but at times, I do carry my assisted opener with me.

I was talking with the cop at school (we talk all the time about guns and technique...)and asked him about my assisted opener and the legality...I already knew the answer. Well, he said that it was not considered...(he pulled out his switch blade...) to be an illegal device like his, which was not illegal for him...no comment about having it with me...gotta' love rural FL.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Flag...AZ has no laws outlawing automatic knives...that's why you see so many for sale at our gunshows. As a retired SO, I can say with certainty that most cops don't know that, and could cause a delay in your plans.

FL made auto knives legal. They said that a knife shouldn't be illegal just because of how it is opened. The way it opens doesn't mean it will be used for illegal means. It probably helped that Microtech is based in FL IIRC.

The spring assist knives open just as fast as an auto knife, some are even faster.

I have several assisted openers and now have 3 autos that I got for Christmas here in the Philippines. I called my brother from another mother ( SwiftyJuan ) and told him I find no difference in how fast they open so what is the difference I ask...... his reply....20 years in jail if caught carrying in CA. You can own one, carry it around the house but don't get caught in public with it ! Oh well I'm blameing Hollywood.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Here in Oklahoma it depends on which Law Enforcement Officer you talk to. Its mainly their discretion (unless it goes before a judge)
    I carry a Kershaw Scallion most days and if I'm wearing jeans a Benchmade Apparition. Both are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Someone in Va. brought this up about a week ago. I called the Richmond State Police Headquaters and talked to the duty sargent . He told me it was considered a switchblade . I called Chesterfield the sargent there told me he thought it was ok , but it could depend on the officer .
    Never waste your time asking LE questions like these, go to the "source", Your states attorney generals office.
    They can tell you what the actual law on it says.

As for an assisted opening knife being considered the same as an auto opener or "switch blade", in most places they aren't as you maually have to open the blade a certin number of degrees before the "assist" helps out.

I have both types, and now carry the assisted opening, mine also has a built in seat-belt cutter, so if questioned about it, I can simply state it's carried as a utility/safety device and not a weapon.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    Is their a difference between a switchblade and a spring-assist knife?
    Yes, there is & it's pretty much been covered by most of the answers. As to whether your state allows it, there're some good internet sites specifically for knife carry that can at least assist you in figuring out what's legal or not.

As for asking LE, well, I think it really depends on the city & their degree of accountability. Being an Administrator for a mid-size PD in S. Cal, we regularly train our Patrol Officers on new laws & case law (Typically every quarter-3 months). I'm not saying my guys are always right, but I think nowadays, the DA's office will complain if LE are making bogus arrensts (Especially if it's a felony).

At to CA., yes automatic knives are illegal for non public safety & Military, unless the blade length is under 2" (In which case, it's legal). A/O's are fine & there's no blade length limit for the state of CA. Cities, however; can make municipal laws that would not allow certain knives (LA, in particular, is noted for that). Typically, municipal laws that are more stringent than state law, are misdemeanors.

As far as the best answer for what legal or not (If you're going to travel), I'd highly recommend contacting the AG's office of the particular county that you'll be staying in. If you're just traveling through, then the state AG would be sufficient.

While the AG's office is generally more knowledgable than local LE, they've been known to bungle an answer or more.

Probably the best thing to keep in mind, is that if you're worried about a knife's legality, either don't carry it or "concealment" is your friend.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Links