Knife Recommendations?

This is a discussion on Knife Recommendations? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading the other day and thinking about having a folding or fixed blade knife for my off hand mostly for weapon retention. Doesn't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Recommendations?

Knife Recommendations?

I was reading the other day and thinking about having a folding or fixed blade knife for my off hand mostly for weapon retention. Doesn't need to be big, but if will have to be easily opened one handed. I am a fan of Gerber, SOG or other known brands and would like to hear anything and everything people have used or seen.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You know, it almost doesn't matter which brand you pick, they're all making nice knives these days.

I tend to like SOG and have a Special Elite II 5"er for tactical use. You can flip that beast open one handed.

http://sogknives.com/store/SE18.html
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'd second thumper on SOG knives. I carry a SOG Trident and it has been used for a very long time, and the blade holds an edge and never gives up when I need it. They are a great knife and without a doubt will have something to suit your requirements. You also might want to check out the Kabar TDI.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

My plug for the . . .

. . . Ka-Bar TDI fixed blade (model numbr: 1480). 2.31 inch blade made of AUS-8 (read: decent) steel. Awesome retention characteristics (it is very hard to lose it while gripping) and municipal friendly blade. Plus, you can get it for about $35 shipped just about anywhere. I like www.bladematrix.tv.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Kershaw Leek is an assisted opening knife that is designed for one handed opening.

Check them out.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

KA BAR TDI ... check my pic / avatar.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Not very sexy, but I've edc'd a spyderco delica for over 15 years.

One of these days I'm gonna break down and get one of these though.....just becuz I can!

[IMG][/IMG]

Take a look at any of the CRKT brand M-16 series (CRKT M-16). They feature teflon bushings and the “Carson Flipper” extension to the blade, which aids opening and acts as an additional blade guard. Very easy to manipulate one-handed.

Well, I'm kind of partial to the Emerson Super CQC-7 (with the high grind). It has the "wave" feature that can cause the blade to open as the knife is withdrawn from the pocket. Useful feature, that.

I have been real pleased with my Spyderco Delica and Endura...

Emerson Karambit:

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=6286

Wear it on the weak side set up for reverse grip (index finger through the ring) and there is no faster deployment of a blade available.

This set up allows you to open the knife in a forward motion towards the threat rather than sweeping your arm back away from the threat. The ring allows for excellent retention. The ring allows you to reload a mag, operate a slide, etc without dropping the knife.

There are other blade styles available if the traditional Karambit curved blade does not appeal to you.

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=5085

I believe that traditional curved style of blade is ideal in last ditch defensive action especially when used with the weak arm. Plus it can be more intimidating than a common straight blade.

For strong side offensive deployment I like the Spyderco P'Kal:

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=7656

Great knife but I would not use it for general cutting duties which means carrying a smaller general purpose blade as well.

Spyderco waved Endura, Delica, or P'kal
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by stmcelroy View Post
    Kershaw Leek is an assisted opening knife that is designed for one handed opening.

Check them out.
    Agree...I have two of these...
    On handed opening and closing...(but practice requires a box of band aids)...those suckers are VERY sharp!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Check out Spyderco's Delica. The new ones are a big improvement on the old design, and it was a good design to begin with. They're easy to open, very grippy, sharp as hell (seriously,these things are wicked) and not so expensive that you'll cry if it goes away stuck in a bad guy's arm.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Well, I'll throw in another vote for either the Spyderco delica or endura, especially with the wave feature which means your knife opens as your clear it from your pocket, or the CKRT M16-14 if you want a big folder (have one as a field knife) the Carson flipper works pretty good.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links