Defensive Carry banner

Benchmade Mini-Grip & Grip

5K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  bzdog 
#1 ·
Stupid question for everybody:

The Mini Grip and larger Griptilian aren't autos or ao's, are they? I have a chance to buy a slightly used one from a friend for about $45, and I was wondering if they were manual opening or not.

Does everybody like theirs? I know its a pretty popular model.

#2 ·
The button on the Griptilian is the Axis lock mechanism, so they are manual knives. I don't believe they made an auto version. I bought the Mini for my father a few years ago. It's a good smaller knife; the thumb hole allows for swift opening. Older models have oval holes and the new one has a round one.

#4 ·
I love my Benchmade Mini-Grip. I have bought two so far (gave one away as a gift) and if I came across one for that price I'd buy it for sure. As has been said they're not autos. Buy it for sure. I do prefer the thumb studs rather than thumb holes, but that's just preference.

Take care,

nasm

#5 ·
I believe that Benchmade does (Or did) make an axis lock auto, but not in the Griptilians model.

As to axis lock in general, you can practically open it as quick as or quicker than an A/O. You can use the thumb hole or stud (Depending on the model & year of the knife), or you can flick them open & close quickly while manipulating the axis lock knob.

I think the axis lock system is very nice in 2 ways. It's very strong & allows for a relatively easy opening pressure. It's also not a problem carrying one of them tip-up. That's my preferred method of carrying a folder, but some knives don't come that way &/or open too easily to do so safely.

If it's in good condition, $45 is a very good price for a Grip. If that falls through, though, check out B/M's HK 14200 series & the 720, as well as the large (But "small" carrying) 710 D2.

#9 ·
As others have said, it is not an auto. It is a great knife. One of the best knives out there for the money. They used them exclusively for the defensive knife classes I took. Worked well under the pressure of scenario training. They have a training blade model which is a real plus in my opinion. I'd say get it.

#12 ·
The Mini Grip and larger Griptilian aren't autos or ao's, are they? I have a chance to buy a slightly used one from a friend for about $45, and I was wondering if they were manual opening or not.

Does everybody like theirs? I know its a pretty popular model.
FWIW, while a fully manually opening knife, with just a little practice, the full size Grip is easy to 'flick' open (or closed) one handed. You just hold the button while 'flicking'.

I love the Axis lock. Strong, easy to operate, easy to operate one handed, easy to operate in either hand.

I EDC a full size Ritter Grip in M2. It replaced my Sebenza for EDC if that tells you anything.

I started with the Mini grip (the full size seemed overly large), but after carrying the full size grip for a while, the Mini seemed too small.

-john

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.