Benchmade Mini-Grip & Grip

This is a discussion on Benchmade Mini-Grip & Grip within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stupid question for everybody: The Mini Grip and larger Griptilian aren't autos or ao's, are they? I have a chance to buy a slightly used ...

Thread: Benchmade Mini-Grip & Grip

Benchmade Mini-Grip & Grip

Stupid question for everybody:

The Mini Grip and larger Griptilian aren't autos or ao's, are they? I have a chance to buy a slightly used one from a friend for about $45, and I was wondering if they were manual opening or not.

Does everybody like theirs? I know its a pretty popular model.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The button on the Griptilian is the Axis lock mechanism, so they are manual knives. I don't believe they made an auto version. I bought the Mini for my father a few years ago. It's a good smaller knife; the thumb hole allows for swift opening. Older models have oval holes and the new one has a round one.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

That is a great price on an Axis lock knife. I love the Axis lock and plan on owning many more.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

I love my Benchmade Mini-Grip. I have bought two so far (gave one away as a gift) and if I came across one for that price I'd buy it for sure. As has been said they're not autos. Buy it for sure. I do prefer the thumb studs rather than thumb holes, but that's just preference.

Take care,

nasm

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I believe that Benchmade does (Or did) make an axis lock auto, but not in the Griptilians model.

As to axis lock in general, you can practically open it as quick as or quicker than an A/O. You can use the thumb hole or stud (Depending on the model & year of the knife), or you can flick them open & close quickly while manipulating the axis lock knob.

I think the axis lock system is very nice in 2 ways. It's very strong & allows for a relatively easy opening pressure. It's also not a problem carrying one of them tip-up. That's my preferred method of carrying a folder, but some knives don't come that way &/or open too easily to do so safely.

If it's in good condition, $45 is a very good price for a Grip. If that falls through, though, check out B/M's HK 14200 series & the 720, as well as the large (But "small" carrying) 710 D2.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Yes the Griptilian has the axis lock (at least mine does!). No it is not an auto.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...px?model=550HG

Benchmade knife's are some of the best around, I've carried two since '97. No problems. That's a great price on a great knife.
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

Here's mine. It's a good knife, although it doesn't look as good as the pic anymore.

Jason

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    As others have said, it is not an auto. It is a great knife. One of the best knives out there for the money. They used them exclusively for the defensive knife classes I took. Worked well under the pressure of scenario training. They have a training blade model which is a real plus in my opinion. I'd say get it.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I carry my Gritillion every day and love it.
    Best edc knife I own.

Here's a Benchmade Auto with Axis lock...the Mel Pardue Limited Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLrrp View Post
    The Mini Grip and larger Griptilian aren't autos or ao's, are they? I have a chance to buy a slightly used one from a friend for about $45, and I was wondering if they were manual opening or not.

Does everybody like theirs? I know its a pretty popular model.
    FWIW, while a fully manually opening knife, with just a little practice, the full size Grip is easy to 'flick' open (or closed) one handed. You just hold the button while 'flicking'.

I love the Axis lock. Strong, easy to operate, easy to operate one handed, easy to operate in either hand.

I EDC a full size Ritter Grip in M2. It replaced my Sebenza for EDC if that tells you anything.

I started with the Mini grip (the full size seemed overly large), but after carrying the full size grip for a while, the Mini seemed too small.

-john

Links