Looking for Automatic or Assisted knife

This is a discussion on Looking for Automatic or Assisted knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to find an automatic or assisted opening knife. Any recommendations?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Automatic or Assisted knife

Looking for Automatic or Assisted knife

I would like to find an automatic or assisted opening knife. Any recommendations?

2. Remove Ads

I have assisted opening knives by Kershaw and CRKT and am quite pleased with the action on each of these brands. I also have a couple of autos by Benchmade and these are, IMHO, the absolute "pick of the litter"! Hope this helps some.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

i have a SOG Meridian. The knife was about 60$ and has a scimitar style blade. I bought my at my LGS and i love it. its kind of heavy though, and is an all metal design. asissted, with a good lock and is a TRUE lock back, none of this line locking junk that has caused me several stitches (im brutal with knifes though)....just a FYI
    -Eric

Quote Originally Posted by DopdBrd View Post
    I would like to find an automatic or assisted opening knife. Any recommendations?
    Protech makes some beautiful autos. They're a little spendy, but first rate.

auto knives are cool...

And without a doubt will impress and scare sheeple.

My daughter and son in law both carry OTF (out the front) autos and love them. My son in law has carried his Scarab Lightning for years and uses it for all sorts of cutting jobs. His knife is a Microtech clone made in Taiwan and will cost $60 to as much as $150. (The Microtech original costs around $400.) My daughters' auto knife is a Chinese made Paratrooper OTF which runs around $25.

I've offered to buy both higher quality knives. The Scarab Lightning seems fairly safe, but the Paratrooper requires care in handling. An accidental discharge is quite likely with this weapon.

Side opening automatics and assisted opening folders are common but not as impressive as OTF autos.

A little practice with a high quality folder with a thumb stud or thumb hole will enable any person to open the weapon as fast as an auto knife or assisted action knife.

For years I carried a Benchmade axis lock folder at work. It was very fast to deploy when threatened by cardboard boxes or plastic tie straps. Impressive enough that other workers started to carry folders. My boss could hear me snap the blade open even when I was 30 feet from him. He always looked a little nervous.

If you do purchase an auto knife or a folding knife, be real sure that it locks up firmly when open. Be aware that when you use it you may get junk back in the mechanism. Without some care and cleaning the knife might malfunction or bacteria from food contamination might give you diarrhea.

Now that I'm retired and no longer have to contend with company rules and generally stupid supervision, I carry a fixed blade knife. I like my Benchmade Snody Resistor. Itís a small but substantial weapon, easy to deploy, easy to clean. No buttons, holes or thumb studs to find. Itís ready for action as soon as I grab itÖan outstanding example of the KISS principle.

To sum up:

If you merely want something to play with or impress others, some inexpensive auto knives are available. If you lose one or it gets confiscated no great loss. If you break it, you can buy 3 or 4 more for the price of a high quality auto. Watching my son in law abuse his cheap knock off auto taught me that they can stand up rather well.

If youíre looking for an auto knife for more serious work like police or military, be prepared to shell out some cash. If you have to bet your life on your knife, expense is a minor consideration.

A good folder can be very fast and reliable with practice. An assisted opening knife may reduce your practice time. Remember, a strong lock up is important if you value your fingers. Some cleaning and maintenance is required. You may find the authorities accept common folding pocket knives more than auto knives.

If you want something fast, sturdy, uncomplicated but effective consider a quality fixed blade with a full tang and a handle you can get a solid grip on. A small fixed blade on your belt makes for a very useful everyday tool. In a pinch, it can serve as a very effective weapon. Check your local laws. Some areas of this country frown on fixed blades.

Good luck in your quest. Hopefully you can get some good advice on this site. Lots of info is available on the internet.

when i was in germany i got a boeker which i just love.
    it isnt this one, but i like this one too:
    http://www.boker.de/index.php?c=3000...s3=999&p=&pp=0

Kershaw's Ken Onion Leek assisted opener...great knife...I have two of them.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My prefered automatic is a GT with ATS-34 Steel blade. It has the strongest spring I've ever seen in an automatic. I've also got one that is non-automatic and it's a fine knife with no spring. I have a Benchmade automatic that ok but not as tough as the GT. There is a big difference between them. I don't know why I keep them as Oklahoma does not allow carry but they are interesting. Rather then take a chance on loosing my CCW I now carry a Benchmade one hand opening knife with an ATS-34 steel blade. If your interested in a like new in the box GT automatic drop me an email. Look them up, I think they still have a web site. They specialized in auto knives for emergency services personel.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

"Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Zero tolerance knives(Strider/Ken onion collaboration) are great assisted folders and Severtech is probably one the best hard use autos around. These would be my pics if you don't have a limited budget.

Lead Moderator
    I have a Kershaw Blur. also used to own a Chive. Both work well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've loved this Benchmade Auto/Axis Lock for years..

I collect and carry automatics. No problem here in Idaho.

I really like Microtechs out-the-front variety, but I carry the MT Socom dual action (bottom row, in the middle) more often than not.

Second Best is not an option

Have carried a Kershaw Avalanche everyday for a couple of years... love it!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links