Spring Cosh Techniques???

This is a discussion on Spring Cosh Techniques??? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know we have recently had discussions about maces, blackjacks, saps, and walking sticks. However my question deals with the precursor of the modern day ...

Thread: Spring Cosh Techniques???

Spring Cosh Techniques???

I know we have recently had discussions about maces, blackjacks, saps, and walking sticks. However my question deals with the precursor of the modern day telescoping baton, THE SPRING COSH. Since they preform slightly differently than all the previously mentioned devices, does anyone know any specific techniques for deploying them? I seem to recall a section in I think "Get Tough" that dealt with these during WWII. As I recall you would approach an enemy sentry from behind and smack him over the helmet. The spring tip would go over the brow ridge and tag the sentry square in the forehead for an immediate T.K.O. I ask because I recently purchased a couple for my East German militaria collection and am now intrigued.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Remember the ones that were being sold in the U.S. ?

They had weighted tips. They looked exactly like an ASP Expanding Baton but made of SPRINGS!
    They were called "The Sippo" & "The Blammo" or something like that?
    Another "Stroll Down The Memory Lane Of Off~Beat Weaponry"
    I think they are Verboten these days & no longer being sold or made.
    I will find an old original advertisment & scan it for this post.

Also...What was the name of that classic Spring Loaded Knife that was being sold in the states for awhile???
    You loaded the blade into the handle under really intense spring pressure & then pushed the button & the knife blade would go blasting out the handle front & about go right through a 2X4!! Remember That One? That is another banned fun toy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QKShooter-

There were some spring coshes made by a German firm in the '70s for export to the US. They were in fact the "Sippo" and the "Blitz". The ones I have are East German Surplus, possibly made by the same company, but alas there are no markings.

I think the knife you are talking about falls under the general field of ballistic knives. I know a fella that has a Russian military version in his collection. It is definately a powerful piece of hardware.

Administrator

Thumbs up Sipo & Blitz

That must have been them. The 70s would have been the right time.
    Devastating weapons basically a "WEIGHTED SPRING WHIP" Ouch!
    I don't think they are legal to carry in Pennsylvania but, possibly OK elsewhere.

They definitely sell them, but illegal as Hell everywhere, as far as I know. Whether its a sap, BJ, or the spring-jack, you're striking someone's skull(traditionally these aren't "defensive" weapons). If you're a little "heavy", if they move, etc., you are going to permanently maim, if not kill them. If you want to carry one, I'd suggest a slapper, and plan to use it on limbs or the torso. Unless they are seriously doped, its going to take away their "fight", and much less likely to cause explosive fractures. ASP's and similar, might be okay, as long as you take a baton class, and keep the cert. current.

I wish I could find someone around here that can certify me with a slapper. Then I would definetly carry one at work.

Although these arent "traditional defensive weapons", it would be great to have one if I do happen to come across a violent doper.

Really the "spring-cosh" is, in function, nothing more than a blackjack with a longer spring and a lighter head. Any techniques for a blackjack, and many baton techniques would be applicable.

All of these weapons (coshes, blackjacks, and saps) are fearsome weapons. I have a blackjack with, I'm guessing, about a 14oz. head. You bop someone upside the ol' haid with that and, if they live, they'll be in a wheel-chair eating through a straw for the rest of their life.
    I think the flat-saps (a.k.a. slappers) are probably the most versatile. You can slap with the flat side, or hit with the edge as if you were cutting with a knife. Using this method against large muscle groups (upper arm, thigh, etc) will be very effective.

For some great info on saps, jacks, and other exotic weaponry, check out this site
    Last edited by KenpoTex; August 17th, 2005 at 04:26 AM.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Hehe. Man after my own heart! Wish DR would get some new pieces up.

5 forum pages on the spring cosh :

http://message.geoffthompson.com/ubb...c;f=7;t=000213

Enjoy.
    On that special matter, I don't share Kenpotex point of view that many of the baton techniques are appliable to the cosh. In fact, most are not, and the few that seem to be, are quite dangerous to do, because of the flexible nature of the cosh, and its tendancy to retract so easily.

The most easy way to think about the cosh is to see it as a short steel whip, rather than as a reliable impact weapon.

Jimmy Farthing has provided us a short clip from the James Cagney movie " 13, rue de la Madeleine ". Funny to take a look at :

http://rapidshare.de/files/3606849/cagney.avi.html

If you have the opportunity, you may also take a look at Mc Cann's Collapsible
    Baton DVD's/VHS. He speaks about the cosh right in the beginning of the first one, when showing models, brands, sizes and types of batons. Doesn't need to say that he doesn't fancy the SC at all.

Cheers,

Serge.
    Take care ...
    Serge.
    <><><><><><><>
    What doesn't kill you
    Just makes you stronger

^ Yeah, it really is more of a "dissuade by maiming", rather than real blunt-force tool. Better choices are certainly available (as above).

Quote Originally Posted by TheBCollector
    On that special matter, I don't share Kenpotex point of view that many of the baton techniques are appliable to the cosh. In fact, most are not, and the few that seem to be, are quite dangerous to do, because of the flexible nature of the cosh, and its tendancy to retract so easily.
    Good point, I guess I should have been more specific. I was thinking mainly of arcing swings to target large muscle groups or the head, etc. As you pointed out, there are a lot of techniques for which the cosh is not appropriate (thrusting, locking, etc.)
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Thanks for all the great info guys.

Links