Assisted Opener for a Female?

This is a discussion on Assisted Opener for a Female? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any opinions on assisted openers for 5'11 130lb(tall and lean) woman trying to hide one in a skirt? Betty? Lima? Anyone? It's for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assisted Opener for a Female?

Anyone have any opinions on assisted openers for 5'11 130lb(tall and lean) woman trying to hide one in a skirt?
    Betty?
    Lima?
    Anyone?

It's for a friend. I was thinking something skinny like a Kershaw Leek or maybe a bit shorter like the chives...?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    How is she hiding it in the skirt? Is it clipped IWB? I've handled the CRKT Mini My Tighe, and I really liked the feel of it, and it was pretty slim. If it's more important to be slim and concealable (rides deep in pocket/waistband) consider a Sypderco Delica with a wave. It's not assisted opening, but opens immediately upon extraction from stowage, and is extremely slim.

JD
    Administrator
    I don't know how well a waved Endura would work on a skirt, pending on the material, there may not be enough to catch that design on the waved models.

But still, the two best assisted knives I've had are the Waved Endura and the Cold Steel Ti-Lite., I just reclaimed mine from Lima, hopefully I can keep hold of it, otherwise I'll just have to buy the Ti model, as I have the Zytel.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I advocate any folding knife that can be opened with one hand. Waved, assisted, thumb stud, or hole---they're all better than one requiring both hands.

You could easily hide a Leek in a skirt. They're very thin.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    You could easily hide a Leek in a skirt. They're very thin.
    Second that!

My wife has one & she's thin 5'6" 120lbs...size 2.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Leek. They're great little shivs, and make a great fist-load unopened, as well.

VIP Member
    I carry my knives clipped IWB around the 2 o'clock position.

I don't know how well a Wave option knife would work on a skirt, especially if it's a light skirt with an elastic waist.

One of the Kershaw assisted openers would probably work best. The Chive is really tiny and may be too clumsy to operate because of the small size; I don't recommend that one for long fingernails. The Scallion or the Leek would work.

All my knives have thumb studs or holes; while those are not assisted openers, they allow for fast opening and would open up your options a bit more. Spyderco makes a lot of inexpensive, decent knives that would work well.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

sorry i dont have much knowledge about what assisted openers there are, but carrying a knife a 2 oclock IWB in a skirt really isnt hard (im female, 5'8", 115lb) . granted i very very rarely wear a skirt, but i can with my knife, which isnt all that thin or light.
    so look around for any thin light knife and it wont be a problem.

Thanks for all the responses folks. I'm taking everyone's suggestions seriously at this point. I'm also not discounting wave or inertia type folders either. I showed her the leek and she thought it looked "pretty". I suppose that's a start.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    My wife carries a Waved Karambit IWB when she doesn't have available pockets. Works fine for her.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I think Joe has the important point. It depends a lot of the specific method of carry.

For example, the Sebenza is very flat and lends itself well to be cliped (like inside a skirt waistband) and can be opened one handed, but is not an ambi design and is very hard to close one handed.

A contrasting example is the Griptillian which can easily be opened or closed one handed, and the full size (3.5" blade) can easily be 'flicked' open, but also has a rock solid locking mechanism (they also come in *colors*). The trade-off here is that is much thicker and while it clips into front jean pockets fine, it doesn't lend itself to inside clothes nearly as well.

I think method and location of carry -- concealed or open are pretty important. One size does not fit all.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Thanks for all the responses folks. I'm taking everyone's suggestions seriously at this point. I'm also not discounting wave or inertia type folders either. I showed her the leek and she thought it looked "pretty". I suppose that's a start.
    So do lots of other people. A Rainbow Leek can reach the pericardium, liver, kidneys, brachial & femoral arteries and induce a hemo/pneumothorax just as well as the black nitride coated. Equally, people forget: blades were first blackened so that the object of your attention wouldn't see it in your hand. Just another thought.

if she's carrying it in the waistband of a skirt where weight might be an issue (elastic waist, no belt, etc.) you might look at one of the Kershaw Leeks with the G-10 handle (although the stainless handle might not be a problem...won't know 'till you actually try).

I'd avoid the chive or scallion, IMO the handles are too small to use without a high possibility of fumbling the knife.

you might also take a look at the Boker Subclaw, Subcom, or Wharcom. While these are small, I feel the design of the handle makes up for the lack of size. note: they're not AO.
    http://www.knivesplus.com/bokerknifebk-bo585.html
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/bosublblandh.html
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/botawhkn.html

Are fixed blades legal? what about a La Griffe or something similar?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I'd take a look at SOG knives, I carry one IWB at two o'clock and and a second kershaw with fully serrated edge IWB at 8 o'clock. The SOG is lighter than the smaller kershaw and much faster to open. I'd trust my life to either.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links