Neck knives?

This is a discussion on Neck knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all. Just looking at Cold Steel knives a few minutes ago. I have a couple of them and like them but everytime I see ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neck knives?

Neck knives?

Hey all. Just looking at Cold Steel knives a few minutes ago. I have a couple of them and like them but everytime I see their "neck knives" I always wander if anyone uses them. So let's hear it? Anyone carry a knife this way? Just curious. Thanks!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I did carry a neck knife for a while (and it was a Cold Steel, too) but stopped after a while for several reasons, one being because every time I leaned over, here was this knife leaning forward giving a wonderful, strange imprint.

I use my knives mostly for utility, and sometimes have to deploy it on front of others for such, so it's a bit odd to reach up under my shirt.

And it was just faster to reach for a belt clip knife..

The neck knife would also slide around, and I prefer my blade to be in the same spot all the time, especially if I somehow find myself rolling on the ground in a fight.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    For all the reasons Betty mentioned (and more), I would consider a neck knife as a secondary blade, only. A good pocket/belt knife will serve you better for day-to-day chores, IMO, but I can see how having the neck knife available might be advantageous in some circumstances.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Oh, I carry a folder as well I just didn't know if a neck knife would be good as a backup. Didn't know how comfortable it would be and those kinds of things. No, I don't think I would like reaching under my shirt for my knife all the time either. The Super Edge that they have kind of caught my attention.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Senior Moderator
    The neck knife would also slide around, and I prefer my blade to be in the same spot all the time, especially if I somehow find myself rolling on the ground in a fight.
    I carry 3 knives a pocketknife (in my pocket), a gerber paraframe on my strong side waist, and a Kabar last ditch tied behind my beltbuckle so it is always in the same place
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

I use a neck knife - a Cold Steel Bird and Trout, but only when fishing.

M

Hmm. I dont know about the cold steel ones. I have an old boker one that I stopped using due to the whole "imprint" issue every time I bent over to pick something up. Although the boker set includes the neck chain, a belt loop adapter, an actual kydex belt adapter and a kydex paddle adapter for a vest pocket
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I typically EDC a neck knife (It's one of 2-3 knives that I'll have on my person).

If I want to carry a FB, I'll carry my Entrek Badger IWB (Same size at the Ontario RAT3), I alway pocket-clip carry something (Nowadays, it's going to be my small classic bocote wood Sebenza), & I usually neck carry a Spyderco SPOT.

I've tried quite a few different knives for neck carry, & I especially like the SPOT because it has a finger hole for quick indexing (& security, it's awefully hard to disarm a knife with someones finger locked into it), it's light, & the kydex sheath has some thought put into it. It has an elongated hole along the top edge of the sheath. This keeps it from flopping around. I've never had a problem with it printing (At least no one's noticed it).

Having said all that, I'm going to try an Emerson La Griffe. I look at neck knives as a last ditch knife. It's a back-up knife & one that I wouldn't pull out to to normal tasks with. If looked at that way, a neck knife doesn't need to be made out of great steel, because it's only going to be used once (Maybe several cuts & stabs, but it's not going to get dull during that short a period of time).

HAKs aren't bad neck knives either. For me, it's all about something I can utilize with my large hands, while not being long.

Approximate OALs:
    HAK 5" size: 4 1/2"
    La Griffe: 4 3/4"
    SPOT: 4 3/4"

Another knife that's great bang for the buck (I haven't tried one, yet), is CRKT's Ringers. The 1 is a gut hook skinner, 2 is a hawkbill, & 3 is a clip point skinner. 1 & 3 are 4 1/2" OAL & 2 is only 3 1/2". Any one of those can probably be picked up for $20 or less. They're made out of 3Cr13, but steel is not as important on a knife of this type.

If you get one, good luck on your choice.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

i wear one daily, a utility HAK. i work in a warehouse, so i use it pretty much all day. i wouldn't rely on it for SD; it's mostly for work. most of my co workers think it's funny that i can wear my boxcutter as opposed to keeping it in my pocket. for SD, i'd rather use a pocket or belt knife; i carry a spyderco chinook II for that.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yep. A gal I know carries one of these every day. Its a backup to the folder she keeps in her pocket. She can't afford a sidearm so she goes everywhere laden with blades. haha She can draw it pretty quickly, too. She used to do some kind of martial arts involving blades. She can draw both at the same time and in about the same amount of time. Its impressive to see. I sure as hell feel bad for anyone giving her trouble (she's had a few stalkers).
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    And it was just faster to reach for a belt clip knife..

Betty got the two main reasons I don't like neck carry (reduced speed of deployment, and inconsistent positioning).

People often carry a neck-knife as a "backup" or a "last resort." However, I've never personally seen the logic in having a knife that's going to be very difficult to access quickly (and almost impossible to access consistently) as your "backup." If you need your backup, you're going to need it "right damn now!" Why not just carry a second (or third) folder or a small fixed-blade like the LaGriffe or Hideaway?

If for some reason I felt I had to carry a knife high on my body, I'd probably go with a chest harness like the ones from Survival Sheath.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    I gave my neck knife away to a friend who has strapped it to the laces on his boot, so the handy holes found on most neck knife sheaths can be used to strap to other places.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    I gave my neck knife away to a friend who has strapped it to the laces on his boot, so the handy holes found on most neck knife sheaths can be used to strap to other places.
    that is where i keep mine, on my shoe laces.if i wear boots i keep it under my shirt cuff w/pins.its an HAK knife, tiger claw.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    My neck knife hangs from a shelf on my desk and it opens the mail!

I carry two clip folders, each available by a single hand, one left and one right. I also carry a three blade pocket folder for utility purposes.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I had a La Griffe and carried it for a while, but my wife decided she wanted it more than I did. She has it laced to her Maxpedition pack (which is her purse). I then bought a neck knife of the same style but a bit larger, made by Fred Perrin. I carried it for a few months as a neck knife, but really didn't use it -- like others said, just hard to get to it. I now just carry it in my pocket as a utility knife. Great little knives for everyday stuff if you can figure out a good way to carry them. I just never could get the neck carry worked out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links