Back up knife/dagger

This is a discussion on Back up knife/dagger within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yet another knife question from me (want to get all my ducks in a row and purchase the knives I'll need for deployment before it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back up knife/dagger

Back up knife/dagger

Yet another knife question from me (want to get all my ducks in a row and purchase the knives I'll need for deployment before it happens). So I'm looking for a second fixed blade to go with my larger knife/bayonet as a back up (yeah I know knives add weight but I'd like a smaller back-up just in case.)

Looking for something with at least a 3 inch blade. I've always had a penchant for boot knife type things, but am open to all suggestions. This will be a working knife, and in all likelihood will just be hanging on the MOLLE's on my flak. And the h2h and knife training is up to speed currently.

Right now the top contenders are the Gerber Back-up Guardian, or a Ka-bar TDI, mostly because that is what they sell at the PX and I can see, so what else are good contenders in this range. I'll set the price cap at about $100. Thanks for the advice.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think the important thing to consider first is where are you going to carry a second knife and why.

I carry one folding knife that can easily be opened single handed that I can access with my right hand.
    I carry a second knife of the same description where it can be accessed with my left hand.

If my right hand is occupied with a hand full of BG, my weapon or simply injured, I can deploy my back-up knife left handed.

Boot knives fall in to the same category as ankle holsters to me... hard and slow to get to!

Just something to think about.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Ok, I guess I probably should have added this bit of info. I am currently active duty in the military, and infantry on top of that. A trip to the sandbox or some other exotic locale is going to be happening sometime in the next year or two. This isn't going to be a civilian carry knife, but a military combat knife (trying not to sound too mall ninja-ish).

So for the field/sandbox I'll be carrying a leatherman, folder (probably CKRT M-16), large fixed blade (my Ka-bar or bayonet), but I want a small knife/dagger that is easy for my left hand to get to while wearing combat gear. Even if I buy a boot knife, the knife will be hanging on my flak jacket somewhere on the left side, not in a boot.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I have (and wear) both of those knives. I think that the Ka-bar with an ankle strap is great on the leg because the grip doesn't go so far up your calf, while the Gerber Guardian works nicely if it is hanging upside down on your torso somewhere (I especially like it accessible to my off hand). That's what I like 'em for, anyway.

There are certainly nicer knives than the Gerber in that style, but I'm happy with mine and it was within my budget. Because of the double edge, I feel like I can use it in my off hand more effectively if I ever need to.

Edit: if you are not going to wear the knife on your leg, I'd probably go with the Gerber Guardian. The Cold Steel Peacekeeper is similar (and probably superior, actually).

VIP Member
    Then check out some of these!

Wilson Tactical Knives

I just ordered a model 12 for civilian carry.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Certainly nice knives Thumper, although possibly a little out of my price range.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Mo
    Don't forget Ka-Bar makes shorter versions of the USMC knife - if you like that style you might consider one of the shorter knives for offhand backup.

I have to admit I like the Ka-Bar TDI as well. The original small version is great for civilian carry but you might want to opt for the larger version if it's going to see active duty. They all have versitle carry options, as you probably already know.

So if I read your posts correctly, you're wanting kind of a "last ditch" blade for your left side?
    I think the TDI would be great for this application (since that's pretty much exactly the use for which it was designed)

You might also give some serious thought to a push-dagger. If you have any boxing/MMA skills this will integrate nicely...a PD turns your jab into a fearsome weapon, just grab and punch.
    here's some from Cold Steel (can probably find them cheaper from somewhere like knivesplus.com, newgraham.com, etc.): SAFE MAKER SERIES
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have a CRKT Ryan Plan B. It serves me well, but the sheath is sorta cheap.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    I have a CRKT Ryan Plan B. It serves me well, but the sheath is sorta cheap.
    also a good choice
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Gerber Mk1 would do you fine.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    If CRKT still makes them, I would look into the Kasper Companion fixed blade; truly excellent for the price. Knowing my wife's tendency to abuse and lose blades, I got her one, with no worries it would be reliable if she had to use it.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    My brother carries an SOG mini pentagon on his flak vest for the same reason you are listing, a last ditch H2H. I don't know where he exactly he is carrying it now.

I had suggested to him to grab someone and do some H2H sparring to make sure that his knife is still accessable. It turned out that his original spot, which was near the front, was not a good choice because when the "BG" was up close he could not reach it. He had to do some experimenting to find the best spot.

No matter your choice of knife, I suggest you do the same.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Fallkniven makes a nice dagger. They're a Swedish knife company known for tough blades.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Another knife to look at is the Kershaw 4351 boot knife.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links