Automatics

Automatics

This is a discussion on Automatics within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone tell my a good company that make automatic opening knives? Im looking for auto open and auto close. Thanks....

Thread: Automatics

Automatics

Can anyone tell my a good company that make automatic opening knives? Im looking for auto open and auto close. Thanks.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Lead Moderator
    Benchmade makes excellent auto knives. They are pricey. Also , make sure they are legal in your state/ county/city.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

As stated, Benchmade makes some great knives. I'm also a big fan of both Protech and Microtech. Again, somewhat spendy, but both are first rate.

I have two Benchmade’s and I also picked up a Smith and Wesson a couple years ago, that's allot cheaper and works great.

Auto opening knifes are legal in Florida for CCL holders. But make sure you check out Florida’s website regarding knifes before you travel to other states.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Division of Licensing, DOACS
    Any state listed with a (1) next to it does not allow us to carry an auto knife.

Protech make some really nice ones.

Most automatics are pricey.

None that I know of are auto closing. You may find that if closing an auto is difficult for you that some other action types are smoother. Benchmade's axis lock is particularly smooth closing.

CPTD

Great! thanks eveyone, time to start looking now that i know where to look. Also, auto's are legal in my state so i've got that covered.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

I've got a GT Automatic that is way above my Benchmade Automatic. The spring is much heaver then the kind the Benchmade uses. They specialize in making automatics for emergency services personal and their quaility is fantastic. I think a new one runs about $220. None of my automatics will close at the push of a button.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

If you want an auto close function, you are going to be looking at OTF knives (Out The Front) knives pretty much exclusively.

This would mean Microtech, or that itty-bitty bladed Protech.

B.

TyC...the type of knife that you are looking for IS pricey.
    Benchmade's Infidel would be one you would like.

but, I like this one. http://www.bladehq.com/images/knives...blackplain.jpg
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Microtech is pretty much the standard for double-action OTF autos, take a look at the Scarab and Makora. There are other companies that make these but they start getting really expensive (more than MT) really quick.

you might check the auto forum at BladeForums for some more ideas (and they have a "for sale" section where you can find some decent deals).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Benchmade again!!! Carried mine (same one) for 12 years in my Life Vest/Harness as a US Coast Guard Helicopter Rescue Swimmer where it was in salt water everytime I was deployed to the water.
    A good fresh water rinse with a a good coat of fluid film after every immersion and a complete takedown every six months was all the maintenance it needed. Knife never failed to operate as advertised. Now carry a Cold Steel Ti-Lite as a civilian to stay legal. Knife is as quick to open manually as the Benchmade and will keep you out of jail if you are carrying the auto where they are bannned TI-LITE. Price is also a whopping $45.00 or so dollars if you shop around.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I have owned mostly Microtech automatics such as a SOCOMs, LCC/DAs and Halos. I did have an early Benchmade AFO. Good advice given about visiting the automatic knife forum at bladeforums.com. One other prominent maker that no one mentioned is Robby Dalton. I also had an early Dalton automatic; nice knife and it opened FAST. Have fun. I did, but I'm through my automatic phase. Like Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction, I'm in "transition". :)

A similar thread running earlier today...

If you'd like to go REALLY high dollar, we were discussing some OTF autos on another thread relating to carrying these concealed (which requires a CCP in KY).

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post609159
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Links