Auto knives in Kentucky?

Auto knives in Kentucky?

This is a discussion on Auto knives in Kentucky? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure why I don't know this but are auto knives legal to carry in the state of Kentucky? I have my concealed carry license ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Auto knives in Kentucky?

Auto knives in Kentucky?

Not sure why I don't know this but are auto knives legal to carry in the state of Kentucky? I have my concealed carry license and was just wondering about them. Was thinking of new toys to buy and this entered my mind. Thanks everyone!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Without going into detail...You can carry an automatic knife in the open, that's plenty legal. In order for you to legally carry an automatic knife concealed you need the correct permit for that. I do not know if your concealed carry license gives you that ability, I suggest calling your local police station or wherever you got it. Lucky for you though, there are no size restrictions.
    EDIT: After taking a closer look, I'm fairly certain that a license to carry a deadly weapon allows you to carry concealed auto knives, but I'd still make that call to make sure. Kentucky is one of the few states where I actually see cases of people being found guilty of possession of a deadly weapon.

Also, this is not and does not constitute any form of legal advice.
    DefConGun likes this.

Kentucky's CCW permit covers all deadly weapons, not just handguns. The book (when you take the course) even mentions nun-chuks. Which I hope is a joke.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Kentucky's CCW permit covers all deadly weapons, not just handguns. The book (when you take the course) even mentions nun-chuks. Which I hope is a joke.
    Actually, watching me USE nun-chuks would be the joke. Probably a 90% chance of me knocking myself out. Thanks for the info. though. Appreciate it!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Auto Knives are legal to carry in Ky. with a CCW. As are a number of other weapons--ie-Num-chucks, brass knuckles,slap sticks, black jacks,etc.

i hope this isnt a stupid question,but an auto knife. isnt that the same
    as a switchblade????????
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

im not really a knife person. thatswhy i asked.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Yep.

All 'assisted opening' knives are allowed in the Bluegrass State. However, as posters previous have noted, you might be looking at a hassle if you're got an Out The Front (OTF) dual action Benchmade in your pocket without a CC permit.

That said, I can direct you to stores in Lexington or Louisville that carry 'em. Be ready to spend a bunch to get qualilty product.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    i hope this isnt a stupid question,but an auto knife. isnt that the same
    as a switchblade????????
    Yes. Not a stupid question. Switchblade has always been a slang term for an automatic opener, but it is much more descriptively accurate. In the vein of all that is policitally correct, you hear 'auto' lots more theses days. They are legal in many states, unlike common misconception. Some states require a CC permit, like KY; when I took my class, the instructor actually covered the knife issue.

Here is a nice example of an OTF auto (out-the-front), the Infidel by Benchmade. This retails for about $400 bucks, so they're never cheap, but the cool part is worth it...push the slider release and four inches of high-carbon steel whicker out of the sleek grip. A pull on the slider and it shoots -*snikt*- back into the grip. Too cool. You can pay lots more for one. Some are even designed to penetrate with force upon deployment of the blade (sorta' James Bond like...hold 'er against flesh and push the button...tidy and flashy). They basically macho pacifiers...and very nice ones at that.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Scot Van; January 26th, 2008 at 02:22 PM.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I saw that Microtech has their Nemesis available in OTF...$1,799...a deal!

And ultimately, we all need a Damascus OTF Harkin's Triton...only $2,999.00!!

If I ever came home with one of these, I'd better use it to cut my own heart out and hand it to Mrs. Van...
    Attached Images

Congratulations on having intelligent concealed carry laws.
    TX concealed carry is extended only to handguns.
    Better than not being able to carry at all, but it would be nice to be able to legally carry items appropriate for a full spectrum of response.

Scot, those special edition MTs are crazy, easily delving into art knife territory.

I've handled an Infidel. That's a VERY solidly constructed auto.
    B.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    I saw that Microtech has their Nemesis available in OTF...$1,799...a deal!

And ultimately, we all need a Damascus OTF Harkin's Triton...only $2,999.00!!

If I ever came home with one of these, I'd better use it to cut my own heart out and hand it to Mrs. Van...
    I had to laugh at this. Reminds of when a group of us were sitting at our Sportsman's club one evening shooting trap. One of my friends had purchased a new $9,000 trap gun that very day. We look up and here comes his wife saying, "What is this I hear about you paying $10,000 on a gun?!?! Are you crazy?" Let's just say that they went over to the car and had a nice little talk and he soon came back... collected his stuff and went home. We felt so sorry but we laughed anyway.
    Allen

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    In MI an auto knife is only legal for the popo. Us dumb citizens are not able to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by arawn View Post
    Congratulations on having intelligent concealed carry laws.
    TX concealed carry is extended only to handguns.
    Better than not being able to carry at all, but it would be nice to be able to legally carry items appropriate for a full spectrum of response.

Scot, those special edition MTs are crazy, easily delving into art knife territory.

I've handled an Infidel. That's a VERY solidly constructed auto.
    B.
    i agree, Texas has some strange laws about knives.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links