I notice nobody pays attention to OTFs

This is a discussion on I notice nobody pays attention to OTFs within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can understand they (otf's) have a novelty stigma attached to them. Most are nothing but toys. Some sharp and some not... but omitting a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I notice nobody pays attention to OTFs

Thumbs up I notice nobody pays attention to OTFs

I can understand they (otf's) have a novelty stigma attached to them.
    Most are nothing but toys. Some sharp and some not... but omitting a Sand-Shark from the conversation because I would never carry mine(too expensive and rare to scratch or lose) - but, every bit as strong as your above average folder or even fixed blade.
    That being said, judging by the fact that there is no sign of any mention of even MicroTechs and Dalton's in this forum category, I will take this opportunity to say that a Piranha Excalibur is the strongest, most reliable and sharpest knife (otf) I own.
    It virtually becomes a fixed blade when fired.
    The speed in and out is way above all the rest.
    The gizzards are matched and actually some parts (sears and plates) are heavier gauge than a Sand-Shark.
    It is an awesome knife and just the right size.
    Razor sharp and very cool to look at. a drop of rem oil and it will last an average lifetime. No exaggeration there. a very cool blade.
    I carry one all the time and i have all the rest.

2. Remove Ads

Can't have autos in CT so I don't give them much thought.
    -Biker

Hadn't really thought about it, but you're right. Don't really know why either.

Kind of like revolver vs auto guys. There are exceptions, but it seems like you're either one or the other. I'm a folding auto guy......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Administrator
    I see no need for the added cost and potential failure of auto's. A good standard folder is just as fast if not faster than an auto, not that it matters much anyway. They both can be used one handed so... I dont see the point.
    "Just blame Sixto"

my issues with otf are mostly cost related. for the price of a decent quality otf, i could buy a brand new glock. IMO, microtechs are ridiculously overpriced. there's no reason, in my mind, to spend over $500 on a knife, when a $100,or even a $50 one will do the same job. i myself own 4 autos, but they're basically novelty/light duty blades. one is a microtech H.A.L.O. II clone, two are the ever popular NATO style otf's, and one 50's style swinguard.

Not legal here in Michigan.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Shameless bragging!

I bought my Microtech from the owner of a pawn shop who didn't want it around. Cost me $75 bucks, $25 bucks profit for the owner, I think he gave $50 on it. I carry it all the time for neatness factor as much as anything. I change knives a lot for day to day carry.

On OTF style auto knives: They are often thought of a novelty knife because they ARE a novelty and should never be thought of as a practical self defense tool. If you are carrying a knife like this you have a lot to consider. Sure you may be able to open it a little faster than someone else...But at what cost?
    Most of the designs are these small little black boxes, horrid for retention, and if you can't hold on to your knife you're dead. And what happens if the spring fails? I'm sure their dependable...but why take the risk? Not to mention most of the blade styles are very flat and long, potentially disastrous for self defense!
    For me, the awful retention is reason enough to never consider them, but if you're still considering one, think about the legality of your knife. First off, no self interested person should be breaking the law by having an auto in a state where autos are illegal. But even if you live in a state where auto carry is legal, if you ever use it you run a very good risk of facing great legal troubles. The best lawyer couldn't make argument that you needed that auto so you could clean your finger nails or some other legitimate purpose, not going to happen. Even if you use it in a clear case of self defense, without going into details, it will make your life that much harder.

Do yourself a favor, when you buy a knife for self defense consider the legal implications - buy a knife that will never make you hesitate as you consider if you should be legally carrying it right now. This has nothing to do with personal preference, this has to do with practical self defense to keep you and yours alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffy View Post

Do yourself a favor, when you buy a knife for self defense consider the legal implications - buy a knife that will never make you hesitate as you consider if you should be legally carrying it right now. This has nothing to do with personal preference, this has to do with practical self defense to keep you and yours alive.
    He's in FL. Autos are legal here for CWL holders.

Honestly though, I can get my old Delica into action as quick as any auto......but they are fun to play with though.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

If in a stress situation, the last thing you need is to search for that button. I am not a big fan of autos or assisted openers. JMHO. YMMV.

I prefer a fixed blade to any folder. That being said I usually carry one fixed blade and at least 3 folders all the time, each has it use.
    Autos of any type are illegal to own in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    He's in FL. Autos are legal here for CWL holders.

Honestly though, I can get my old Delica into action as quick as any auto......but they are fun to play with though.
    Yes, but why were you carrying it? It's an automatic knife? Does it serve any other purpose but to harm someone else? So were you looking for someone to harm when you went out carrying that automatic knife? Maybe this wasn't a case of self defense, maybe this is a case of a paranoid para military who got nervous one day. Maybe it's manslaughter.

This is a thought process of a liberal jury, which exist in great majority. Act accordingly. Especially if you live in a state where the legality of such a knife has not yet been so established in precedent & common law.

Also keep in mind that towns have they OWN ordinances on knives, most of them outright ban autos and have length limitations. However these are almost never enforced...UNLESS you use something like a OTF knife to defend yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffy View Post

Especially if you live in a state where the legality of such a knife has not yet been so established in precedent & common law.
    I guess he's lucky to live in a state where the legality has been established.
    Last edited by MattInFla; February 1st, 2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Theodore Roosevelt

Did anyone mention that they are exceedingly expensive (Microtech).

For those of you who like to poo on those who carry an auto I have one thing to say, arthritis! I'm not a fan of otf autos because their construction is often less than robust. But an auto opener is sure a blessing for those of us with 'itis where their legal. Just wait folks, it's coming for most of you one day.......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links