According to my states laws - any knife I carry is against the law?

This is a discussion on According to my states laws - any knife I carry is against the law? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...unless I am hunting or fishing? Maine's law: Maine - Chapter. 43 17-A Section 1055. Trafficking in dangerous knives: 1. A person is guilty of ...

Thread: According to my states laws - any knife I carry is against the law?

According to my states laws - any knife I carry is against the law?

...unless I am hunting or fishing?

Maine's law:

Maine - Chapter. 43 17-A Section 1055. Trafficking in dangerous knives:
    1. A person is guilty of trafficking in dangerous knives, if providing
    he has no right to do so, he knowingly manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or knowingly possesses, displays, offers,
    sells, lends, gives away or purchases any knife which has
    a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied
    to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the
    knife, or any knife having a blade which opens or falls or
    is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an
    outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement. 2.
    Trafficking in dangerous knives is a Class D crime.

Maine - Chapter. 25 252. Section 2001A. Threatening display of or carrying concealed weapon:
    1. Display or carrying prohibited. A person may not, unless excepted by a provision of law:
    A. Display in a threatening manner a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person; or
    B. Wear under the person's clothes or conceal about the person's person a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person.
    2. Exceptions. The provisions of this section concerning the carrying of concealed weapons do not apply to...
    C. Knives used to hunt, fish or trap as defined in Title 12, section 10001;

Maine - Chapter. 12 Section 10001. Definitions.
    23. Fish, the verb. To "fish" means to take, catch, kill, molest or destroy fish or to attempt to take, catch, kill, molest or destroy fish.
    31. Hunt. To "hunt" means to pursue, catch, take, kill or harvest wild animals or wild birds or to attempt to catch, take, kill or harvest wild animals or wild birds.
    64. Trap, the verb. To "trap" means to set, place or tend a trap within the fields, forests or waters of the State, to kill an animal that is caught in a trap or to aid or assist another person in setting or placing a trap, tending a trap or killing an animal that is caught in a trap.

Am I reading this right? No exceptions for blade length? Pocket or folding knives? No TDI knives?

If I carry a folder in my pocket it is concealed = against the law, but if I carry it openly it is "displayed" and against the law.

Everywhere I look I see people carrying folding knives clipped to their pants.

Am I missing anything?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    1. A person is guilty of trafficking in dangerous knives, if ...

any knife which has

a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied
    to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the
    knife, or any knife having a blade which opens or falls or
    is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an
    outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement.
    I don't see anything that applies to pocket knives that are not 'automatic'. You need to manually open the blade so nobody gets killed.

you may want to do a little more looking or talk to an attorney. It strikes me as strange that there is nothing regarding carry of knives for anything but sporting purposes.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

These states are overly complicated but in fact you can do a lot with with knives in Maine.
    First off, understand that the laws are vague, and very much so up to interpretation. Practically this means you really really should make sure to do what I tell everyone to do anyway: Make sure your knife is innocent enough looking. For instance, the Jim Wager Reality Based Blade would be a very bad option for carry. On the other hand, the spyderco endura would mostly likely be a good option. Use your own judgment.

With that being said, over all ordinary folding pocket knives are allowed and may be carried with no length restriction. Ordinary fixed blades should also pose little problem, but can only be carried openly. Even through there is no explicit banning of it, I would NOT carry any knife that has a double sided blade. I would also not carry any knives used for hunting or fishing unless in the act of hunting/fishing. Also note that automatic knives, which includes Balisongs (butterfly knives) are definitely illegal.

Also, Refer to my post on legal knife carry.

If you need clarification on any of this dont hesitate to ask. This is not, nor does it constitute legal advice.

Basically, you need to find out what they consider "concealed"- if the pocket clip showing is open, you're fine with most Spydies, BMs, etc.. Worst case scenario- you have to get a kydex sheath to OC a Delica.

The way I read it is it applies to automatic knifes such as the standard switchblade.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    The way I read it is it applies to automatic knifes such as the standard switchblade.
    ...or by an
    outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement.
    That would be any folding knife that's not too stiff to swing open.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Most states have carbon copy laws regarding concealment if at all.
    If part of the knife body can be seen by a normal passerby than it is not considered to be concealed. That means a knife clipped in your pocket that is somewhat viewable is fine, but if you're wearing a trench coat that obstructs view then you should be very careful.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    It kinda seems that if you can buy a knife commonly in a store in Maine, it's not the kind of knife they're trying to protect you from. Or else they'd surely be shutting down every Wal-Mart for 'Trafficking in dangerous knives'. And no, a pocket knife is not likely to be a 'dirk', 'bowie knife', or 'stiletto'. I doubt there's a law against putting a pocket knife in your pocket.

Links