asp carry? - Page 2

asp carry?

This is a discussion on asp carry? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gregarat Realy? Wana trade? Sounds like you may need to "open-up" the retaining spring, located in the butt. And, yes, the ASP ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: asp carry?

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    Realy? Wana trade?
    Sounds like you may need to "open-up" the retaining spring, located in the butt.

And, yes, the ASP is formidable, basically a sword with a dull edge.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Here in TN you can carry one if you're certified, and I do believe you can only get one after you have a handgun carry permit.
    Betty,

I live in Chattanooga and have a handgun permit, but how do I become certified with an ASP so I can carry one? Thanks!

VIP Member
    Hi Tangle, it may be difficult finding an instructor. Some carry permit classes may offer it; you'll have to see what's in your area. I found mine through word-of-mouth - the instructor was a cop our family knew - he does it "on the side" against his police chief's wishes, so he doesn't advertise. If you're friendly with some cops, they may know.

The ASP class I took was very good, it even addressed multiple attacker scenarios (and that's when I want to pull out my gun!). It was around 4-6 hours long and part of it was classroom time for the legal stuff. And then be prepared to move those feet for dear life! You'll be working with a partner (or partners) and use a padded baton and shield. You'll be sore the next day!

Classes may vary - the second one I took a year later with a different instructor was incredibly bad and we never went beyond standing in a line hitting a stationary padded shield in unison. It was not an official ASP certification course and I think the instructor did whatever he felt like doing and didn't care. He told me that most of his students were security guards and he detested them, so he didn't really care about teaching them.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    Betty,

Many thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links