asp carry?

This is a discussion on asp carry? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello all i was just wondering if any body is carry an asp? I was concidering getting one just thought what the opinions are on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: asp carry?

New Member Array mark greenfield's Avatar

asp carry?

hello all i was just wondering if any body is carry an asp? I was concidering getting one just thought what the opinions are on that. Looks to be a very usefull thing to have.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    check your local / state laws first. Here in MI it is illegal to carry. Would be a handy tool for defense though. Always liked the 26" I had.

I think it might be illegal here in ohio to not sure though love to have one neet little toy.

Assistant Administrator
    It appeals - but yeah - state laws vary a lot. Funny tho eh - asp may be banned even tho CCW is a go!!

I do know that in skilled hands, asp can do huge damage - Combat Effective may be able to add to that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    yep, an ASP or other baton can stop someone quick, if ya know how to effectively use em.

Administrator

Post In Pennsylvania

The License To Carry Firearms does not include...
    batons...blackjacks...brass knucks...and a list of other assorted fun toys.
    That is actually sad because the ASP Baton is a very quick, portable and highly useful tool for fending off attacks by vicious dogs.
    That would be the four legged sort of vicious dogs with large pointy canine teeth.

::cough, cough:: Comply with your local laws. The ASP is not s/n'd, and is one of the most effective batons available. Highly recommended for a BOB, and in times of unrest.

Senior Moderator
    Man I'd love to carry an ASP. I bought three sizes of them mostly for dog defense when I was jogging. Came real close to using it once, but the big dog backed off - well I guess I did use it - the dog did back off!

Then I discovered it is illegal to carry and is considered a deadly weapon. It's really strange that I can carry a gun, but not an Asp baton, but I can carry a walking stick, which may look suspicious for a jogger - which I no longer am however.

I'm gonna have to get a walking stick for my "baton". I bought a walking stick video from Gunsite and it's got some pretty good stuff in it.

does any one know how ohio stands on this. I think you need to be certified and if so where can u get this certification at?

Assistant Administrator
    Oops - forget which thread I was in - duh!

Not sure Mark at all re your question - not sure either whether any ''certification'' would even apply. Assuming that asp's are no-no's.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Mark:

I would recommend contacting your State Attorney General's office.

I've seen instruction given at the same places that provide training certification for security officers, at least here in Florida. I attended that once and found it to be woefully inadequate. I subsequently became certified as an ASP instructor, but primarily taught/instructed law enforcement personnel.

I, too, preferred the 26" version, even when the shorter version is a tad bit easier to carry. I wanted that extra distance the 26" affords in order to keep the BG away.

I forget if my A.S.P. is 22" or 24"? I keep it in my truck. I dont like how the A.S.P. rattles when carryed. I prefer to carry a blackjack. Wich is a no no in most states.

VIP Member
    Here in TN you can carry one if you're certified, and I do believe you can only get one after you have a handgun carry permit.

I have the 16" steel ASP but I don't carry it much anymore; I can only legally use it in the same situations where I can legally use my gun. So if it's a case of imminent danger, especially against someone much larger than me, I'd rather use my gun, or use my knife if the backstop is questionable. The ASP, however, is still a decent "less-lethal" weapon.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    I carry a 26" on duty and NO it dosent rattle.

The ASP is considered "use of deadly force" when applied to the head neck area and is certainly capable of smashing someones skull.

The most effective use of the ASP comes form employing it on the large thigh muscles. A good downward diagonal whack on the outside of the nerve that runs up the thigh will drop an attacker immediatley. Its also works well on the hand where it connects to the arm on the top of the wrist. A smack there will cause someone to drop whatever they are holding. Another good use of an ASP is to stop a person that is already handcuffed from futher resistance. Simply insert the ASP in between the back and the hands and then twist. The attacker is guaranteed to follow.

In reality, around here usaully just grabbing the ASP and snapping it open is enough to get attention...almost as effective as racking the slide on a shotgun.

Most of our deputys use the ASP more for whacking dogs than anything else. Using an ASP on a person means writing a long, detailed report.

Most cops that I know dont really know how to use one to its maximum potential. Unless they use it often, what they learn aat the academy goes away after awhile and they then resort to using them like sticks instead of the tool that it is. I learned how to use it more from the many years of weapons training in martial arts that I took than I did at the academy.

For those that can and do carry an ASP, be advised that if a COP sees you with one open, he can legally escalate force. In this case the force higher would be a gun and it would be a legal shoot if you advanced on a cop with one. Although I doubt that anyone on this board would be dumb enough to do that, its something to think about if you happen to employ one on a CCW holder.

Im no fan of the short "lightweight" ASP's. The heavier it is, the more energy it will deliver.

and NO it dosent rattle.
    Realy? Wana trade?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links