Link for a knife fight.

Link for a knife fight.

This is a discussion on Link for a knife fight. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not the best subject title and I'm guessing this has been discussed before but can someone link me to a site/dvd/etc. that would explain the ...

Thread: Link for a knife fight.

Distinguished Member

Link for a knife fight.

Not the best subject title and I'm guessing this has been discussed before but can someone link me to a site/dvd/etc. that would explain the basics of being backed in a corner with only a knife. Sounds macabre, I know, but surely there are some "abc's" to defending yourself with a blade if there is no way of escape and your firearm is nowhere near. tx!

ps. and any recommendations for a carry knife for the above, God forbid, occasion. Oh, and please, nothing that looks like Crocodile Dundee with a twelve inch blade strapped to his thigh.
    Last edited by aznav; February 18th, 2008 at 06:29 PM.

As far as the basics: "The pointy end goes in the other guy."

I'm not being sarcastic, if I have to use a knife in a defensive situation, I'm going to seek to STOP the attack by targeting the areas most likely to render the attacker unable to continue his aggression. IMO, these targets are the throat/neck region, the base of the skull, the area right behind the collar-bone (subclavian artery), the groin, or the kidneys. There are other good targets but these are probably the easiest to hit.
    Beyond that, cut or stab anything that you can reach until the threat has been stopped or you have created an opportunity to escape.

As far as DVD's, I highly recommend "SouthNarc's" Reverse Edge Methods Vol. I and II dvd's. They cover the use of the knife in extreme close-quarters situations and teach a method that is, as far as I'm concerned, the best technique when you are using a short blade (like the 3-4" knives most of us carry). Click here for a video trailer from vol. II (as you can see, he also covers some good hand-to-hand stuff).

As far as knives, I'd personally recommend either a Spyderco Endura or Delica with the "Wave feature" (do a google search), a Benchmade (the "Griptilian" model is a good choice), or a Cold Steel (the "Voyager" series are some pretty good knives) . All of these are fairly "low profile" knives that can be found for a reasonable price ($40-$80).
    There are tons of great knives out there...just stay away from anything with a liner-lock and make sure the handle is big enough to get a comfortable, fumble-free grip (nothing too small).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Don't know alot about knives but I just Googled Spyderco Delica with the "Wave feature" as suggested by Kempo Tex and it seemed pretty good to me. I'm sure there are other great knives out there as well.
    There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
    - General George Patton Jr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member
    Thanks, guys! Will get back to you when I get home and can check out the links. Tex, so, you're sure, pointy end first?

I have average size hands and the Spyderco Delica is too small for use as an effective tool for self-defense concerning the handle. If you are gravitating towards a Spyderco with the wave feature then I highly suggest the Endura.

My personal selections are Emerson full-size Commander and the newest evolution of the Spyderco Gunting now named the Lapu-Lapu-Corto. Both use liner locks and the only problem I have seen in either model is; one LLC trainer lock began moving a bit after heavy constant abuse over a nine month period but the lock has not failed.

The abuse comes from stabbing at punching bags and 4x4 wood in class demonstrations. One of my Commander trainers had issues right out of the box but was fixed by Emerson. All of my trainers from Spyderco Endura, LLC and Commander have gone through some pretty rigorous test including placed into a vise and hammered on (on the non edge side of the blade), all at one point or another had fails in the locks but took a great deal to get to the point of failure. Surely not a professional test but the best I could come up with.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I agree with KenpoTex on the most simple level "The pointy end goes in the other guy."

While simple- it's not easy. I have never been in a "real" knife fight on the street. I have trained alot with knives and edged weapons including "live blade" exercises. Knife fighting is Chaos... It's fast, it is slick and bloody, and it is unruly. So many techniques just fall flat when it's real.

You don't want to be stabbed to death, and the bad guy doesn't either... So determination, strength, speed, training, luck all come into play.

My background and training is Filipino and some Indonesian. In my biased opinion- I believe that Filipino is the best- most realistic training.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Tex, so, you're sure, pointy end first?
    well, I guess you could do it the other way but it probably wouldn't work as well.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    index is a good site
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    index is a good site
    agreed, Gutterfighting has some great info.

Matt K.

Links