Knife Carry in Florida

This is a discussion on Knife Carry in Florida within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Puppy Hmmmm, okay! Now define "Tactical" please. Our illustrious and honorable politicians probably don't have a clue. If it's not a knife ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Knife Carry in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    Hmmmm, okay! Now define "Tactical" please.
    Our illustrious and honorable politicians probably don't have a clue. If it's not a knife meant for whittling, cleaning your fingernails or picking your teeth it must be evil.......

There is a bias against serrations, scary looking things like chisel points and other features marketed as "tactical". Beats the heck out of me. I keep fully serrated blades around for rope cutting, nothing better. I guess that means it might just leap up at any second and slash to pieces any line in sight.......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    Now define "Tactical" please.
    Anything scary-looking, including any black item. I'm quite tactical because black is the color of my Wilderness belt, kydex holsters, Glocks, AR-15, Emerson folder, magazine carriers, allen wrenches, and avatar.

I have never heard of this from our friends on the east coast. So it does bring up a question. If a person receives a CWL or CHL in Fl. does that qualify you to carry a"tactical" knife?
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post
    I have never heard of this from our friends on the east coast. So it does bring up a question. If a person receives a CWL or CHL in Fl. does that qualify you to carry a"tactical" knife?
    Yes. As long as it remains concealed.
    rolyat63 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    here's a thought ........once you tell the officer about it or where it is , It's no longer concealed ...............
    uh, no, that's an affirmative defense in GA, not FL

on the other side of paradise, if an observer can't see enough of it to know what it is, it's concealed no matter what you tell the police

good old buck

I see this is an older thread but I have always carried my Buck folding hunter wont go anywhere without it as a matter of fact.Its one tough old knife. I have been stopped all over the country by all kinds of cops from locals to Dot and have never had a problem with the Police .

since this thread went active -- if you happen to have an "uncommon" knife, just open carry

When I was getting "in-briefed" when I got to Florida they had a local Sheriff representative come in and tell us what to do, what not to do, etc... to stay out of trouble. The Deputy told all of us that the way they see it, if the clip is showing, its obviously a knife, and not considered concealed. You don't need a license to carry a knife in FL according to what we were told. However, if you are going to conceal the clip part that shows, then you're concealing the knife, and if you don't have a permit you can be charged. Then they told everyone to get their permits so they wouldn't have to worry about it, and that there was no gun registration, and to buy guns, etc... Just my two cents...

Austin

Question

BTT. Have a FL question. Does anyone know if you can carry a fixed blade small or large? What about a t-handle dagger? Auto? Found this on a google search and it says no to all?
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

BAC
    Yes to all of those, with a concealed carry permit. None of those would be defined as a common pocket knife, which assumes a folding ability. I think the only blade we can't have is one that shoots.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Yes to all of those, with a concealed carry permit. None of those would be defined as a common pocket knife, which assumes a folding ability. I think the only blade we can't have is one that shoots.
    -B
    True, when concealed.

With or without CWL, can carry openly (except schools/zones/bus stops, govt buildings, sporting events, etc). It's neither common nor startling to see someone wearing a sporting knife at a mall or gas station; we have a lot of people who like to fish, great weather for motorcycles, and (despite the Orlando/Miami image on TV) most of our state is still agricultural land. (Think oranges, cattle, pine lumber, ... and o' course, free-ranging squirrels).

o' course "I ain't no lawyer"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Montana View Post
    BTT. Have a FL question. Does anyone know if you can carry a fixed blade small or large? What about a t-handle dagger? Auto? Found this on a google search and it says no to all?

Forgot to add the link. Am I reading this wrong? Or is the info not correct? It says no to all my questions

http://http://www.thehighroad.org/library/blades/knifelaws.html
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Montana View Post
    Forgot to add the link. Am I reading this wrong? Or is the info not correct? It says no to all my questions

http://http://www.thehighroad.org/library/blades/knifelaws.html
    No to concealed carry without a ccw. Yes to all with a ccw.

Get a ccw and you can carry just about anything you wanna stuff down your pants....!

BAC
    You're missing half of the question being addressed. Whether it's concealed or not, it's still a weapon. A "common pocket knife" is not a weapon. A knife that's a decent-sized fixed-blade, or has an assisted opener, or generally has features that differentiate it from being a "common pocket knife" is no longer exempt from "weapon" status.

According to Florida law, one can only openly carry chemical spray or " A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes." No other weapon is permitted to be carried openly.

Florida law also describes what deadly weapons are. "'Weapon' means any dirk, knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife."

Lastly, Florida law also prohibits carrying of concealed weapons unless licensed to do so.

So let's review.

• Common pocket knives are not weapons in the state of Florida. They may be carried concealed or openly as such.
    • Knives that are not common pocket knives are weapons in the state of Florida.
    • Florida law prohibits carrying weapons openly with only two exceptions, neither of which are knives.
    • Florida law prohibits carrying weapons concealed unless licensed to do so. Knives are defined as weapons. Common pocket knives are not.

Conclusion:
    You can carry a common pocket knife in any way, shape, or form, to your heart's content. If you want to be technical, it can go into places where any other tool can't (being exempt from the status of "weapon"). Policies regarding knives to not effect the common pocket knife. Yadda yadda, and so on and so forth.

When a knife that is NOT a common pocket knife is carried, it CANNOT be carried openly (790.053), and cannot be carried concealed (790.01) unless the carrier is properly licensed (790.06).

Tony, I hope this answers your questions.

-B

I think what is considered a "common" pocket knife is really up in the air. To me, my regular carry of a CRKT M16-14SF is a regular ol' pocket knife. However, I can see how others would not see it that way, because of the hilted , nearly 4" blade.

Since I have my FL CCW, I don't have to worry about different opinions on how much of a "common" pocket knife that particular blade is, should the issue come up.

-JT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links