Knife Carry in Florida - Page 4

Knife Carry in Florida

This is a discussion on Knife Carry in Florida within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; from my understanding a common pocket knife would be something like a buck knife with no pocket clip, assist to open, open stud ext ext.... ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Knife Carry in Florida

from my understanding a common pocket knife would be something like a buck knife with no pocket clip, assist to open, open stud ext ext.... is nothing that you see now adays, now i think it would take a officer on a very bad day to actually pull this out considering everyone has one in there pocket now adays. i would just get your cwl and be on the safe side.

i sent mine in back on the 18th of November. I just got it about 3 weeks ago. just a heads up and that was before the gun craze really started

I just had to throw this into the mix.. but how would you define "Open Carry" when it comes to a knife?? unless i'm wrong you can open carry a bowie knife and
    still be within Fl weapon laws...now let's say you are carrying a knife like a "Cold steel gunsite" Blade length is 5in, total length is 11in...this has a clip that you
    carry in your pocket, but the top of the knife is showing because of the clip... So is this a Open carry or CC ???

I have ask a number of LEO .... most said I would go to jail but a few said that as long it is being carry with the clip showing.. it falls under OC because of the
    gray area that comes along with OP of knifes...

and yes I have heard that it has to be a Fixed blade to open carry... but I haven't found any references to that in my Local Ordinances... and Yes I have a Conceal
    carry permit... but I have a few YOUNG friends that carry that seem to think they know better

Three of these kids are going into the military and I don't want to see them get into trouble because a LEO told them it was okay to carry any size knife as long
    as it was showing and a folding knife with a clip was okay... YES a LEO told them that OH one kid is related to him... so you know how that goes...

Thanks for any information on this....

Quote Originally Posted by travis2 View Post
    i have a folding pocket knife about 3 1/2" partially serrated blade, and has a little stud on the side for one handed opening plus the blade can come out with the flick of you wrist, is this legal?
    I believe that if it can open by a flick of the wrist you may have a problem. I don't however believe that a spring assisted knife is illegal as long as it requires you to open it by somehow touching a lug on the side or bottom of the blade. If it is activated by a button on the side of the case as apposed to the blade then there again you may have a problem. You also have the 4" blade and so called "tactical" features to consider. This is for Florida. With a CCW you can carry just about anything.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    You're looking for F.S. 790.001 (13)

A common pocketknife is not a weapon under Florida law.

I'd recommend getting a copy of Florida Firearms by Jon Gutmacher. On pages 105 and 106, he discusses the Florida laws relevant to this issue in detail.

Matt
    Nor is it in many other States. That is not the problem. The problem is how a "common pocket knife" is defined. That is the "gotcha" that I worry about. Is a 4" assisted opening tactical looking knife called the defender viewed as a common pocket knife by a jury composed of mostly people who know squat about knives? Do you want to spend your life savings finding out? Knife laws can and do vary by townships in most places I live and even if the knife is a plain Jane small folder in NJ, if you cannot come up with a valid reason to carry it, they can arrest you or take it away from you if you are lucky. Knife laws are written so as to provide a lot of leeway for LEO to determine if it is a legal carry knife and if its owner is or can legally carry it. When I lived in States where I could not carry a gun, I carried a knife. Most were probably illegal but all I had. I am much more comfortable carrying a gun because the laws are well defined in comparison to the knife laws.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The courts has previously defined a common pocket knife as with a blade under 3-1/2 inches. If you have a CWFL, it makes no difference.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yes but I was asking if Open carry in the name of law fall into having a 5in blade knife in you pocket with the clip showing??... is that open carry??? remember OC under the Fl law I can carry
    a sword if I want too... yet a pocket knife is against the law... how will that battle out in court???

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    You're looking for F.S. 790.001 (13)

A common pocketknife is not a weapon under Florida law.

I'd recommend getting a copy of Florida Firearms by Jon Gutmacher. On pages 105 and 106, he discusses the Florida laws relevant to this issue in detail.

Matt
    Which edition of the book, in the latest edition he is talking about airports on those pages.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links