Got a few new knives this week thanks to this forum!

This is a discussion on Got a few new knives this week thanks to this forum! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off I just found this site and I'm really impressed so far! Previous to this week the best knife I had was a junked ...

Thread: Got a few new knives this week thanks to this forum!

Got a few new knives this week thanks to this forum!

First off I just found this site and I'm really impressed so far!

Previous to this week the best knife I had was a junked up old S&W S.W.A.T folder. I thought that was about as good as it got till I started hunting around here. You guys inspired me to spend some money for a better EDC folder. So after reading a lot of past threads on which ones to look for I headed to some local stores.

I had my heart set on something along the lines of a spyderco Endura with the Wave opener but ended up finding a store in my area that had some Cold Steel Recon 1 folders on sale for $33! Usually they were $80 so I bought two. One with a tanto blade (g10 handle AUS 8A blade) and one with a clip point (older style with the zytel handle and 440A blade). I also got a green Kershaw Ken Onion Scallion on sale for $13. So all in all I spent aroun $90 and got three knives.

I took a bunch of pics of the clip point Cold Steel and Scallion and decided to post some. I noticed a while back someone was asking about a dissassembled Recon 1 so I thought I would give it a whirl.

All the pins removed from the handle.

the first zytel "scale" removed. You can see the steel insert and the spring for the axle lock.

moved the steel insert into the handle "scale" to remove the blade and strip that goes along the back of the handle.

Here is one side of the axle. I has a bar that goes through and this is the top end.

Everything taken apart.

And the Scallion (removed the pocket clip cause I didn't quite like it)

All the folders are great. The Recon 1's feel like they are indestructable. Not to mention how insanely sharp they are compared to my old S&W knife. The Scallion is quite handy cause of its size and I can take it on college campus without breaking the law (has to be under 2.5" around here)

Ryan

2. Remove Ads

good choices...the CS and most of the Kershaws are light-years ahead of the S&W knives (which doesn't take much).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Nice knives...I have two Kershaw's...(both assisted openers).

Enjoy...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    And I thought I just talked myself out of getting a Recon 1!
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

$13 for a Scallion! Score!

Joe

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I agree, $13 for the Scallion? Great knife, great deal. I have the Boron Chive. Very nice knives indeed.

I'm very happy with the deals I got :D . The CS is quite impressive with its build quality (not to knock the scallion in anyway). The lock action is butter smooth and since it has an axle lock I never have to worry about it folding on my finger. All three are great overall. The scallion does win in the "easy to carry" category since it is so light. It just floats in my pocket unoticed (with the blade lock on of course).

I went back to the store (it was a Turner's Outdoorsman near my house) and they had sold the other CS recon and didn't seem do have any other assisted open Kershaws left with a discount :(. I was thinking of getting the last CS recon but I spose two is enough for now.

Ryan

What store was it??

it was the Turners on Montiel road. When I went back there on the 24th they still had a kershaw storm, spyderco Endura and a few others discounted. I havn't been in there for about two weeks so they could be gone by now though.

Ryan

Links