I REALLY want to carry a fixed blade

This is a discussion on I REALLY want to carry a fixed blade within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bzdog Matiki, could you explain why you are convinced about your interpretation of SMC? Are you a legal professional or LEO, or ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I REALLY want to carry a fixed blade

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Matiki, could you explain why you are convinced about your interpretation of SMC? Are you a legal professional or LEO, or have you asked this of a legal professional?

Thanks,

-john
    I didn't intend to ignore your question, I just saw it for the first time when re-reading the thread.

I am not LEO, an attorney, etc. I have consulted my own attorney, and those of a company I worked for in the past. They all read the code as such, and advised against carrying a knife, especially anything with a fixed blade of any length.

2. Remove Ads

No biggie. You seemed fairly convinced and I was just wondering.

Of course, they would recommend that considering it is the safe interpretation from a liability perspective and it isn't *their* skin on the line.

What I mean is if you died for want of a knife, nobody is going to sue them. But if they said it was OK and you get locked up, you might sue them. Easy choice for them.

IMO lawyers are pretty careful that way (we go around and around with them at work trying to get them to take a stand on software licensing issues).

In any case, I agree that the law is written so poorly to mean anything, but I do feel that the *intent* is clear to mean no automatic knives, fixed blade knives and blades >3.5", all which I am careful to avoid.

Certainly I can respect those who take a more conservative view.

-john

I am in the same boat here in Kansas. Theres no doubt that a fixed blade on your weak side would be the the quickest to get into action if you were somehow pinned to the ground or a wall and you could not use your gun arm.

so you can have any type of knife in your home? and you cant carry any folder over 3.5" at all?
    There is no substitute for victory.

~Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I'm just telling you what the law is. Write your representatives.

Let's run through some typical knives:

Legal:
    Boyscout Pocket Knife, relatively new and stiff
    Folding Buck Knife

Illegal:
    Anything with a lever for your thumb to flip it open
    Anything that can be swung open
    Anything that opens with a button
    Anything that has spring assisted action
    Any folder over 3.5"
    Anything Fixed regardless of length
    Pretty 'cheap law'...this appears to mean that all one can carry is a 'rusty' Boy Scout knive...an old one!
    I believe that if the law is this technical, you might just find yourself in a jam trying to skirt it...OMO

Stay armed...be careful with knives in WA...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I'm just telling you what the law is. Write your representatives.

Let's run through some typical knives:

Legal:
    Boyscout Pocket Knife, relatively new and stiff
    Folding Buck Knife

Illegal:
    Anything with a lever for your thumb to flip it open
    Anything that can be swung open
    Anything that opens with a button
    Anything that has spring assisted action
    Any folder over 3.5"
    Anything Fixed regardless of length
    I have many knives like the above Buck I can open with one hand. Almost any folding knife I know of can be opened one handed. We did it all the time in the Navy

Was the conclusion that in the entire state of Washington, fixed blade carry is illegal, or just in certain municipalities like Seattle and Spokane?

I live in Clark County, just outside of Vancouver, WA city limits. I would like to carry a 3" fixed blade, if legal... anyone know about that?
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

sounds like a one arm man needs to sue, this is discrimination

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    You want an advantage? Get a Spyderco Military or Spyderco Police folding knife. They can be opened quickly, they have large blades and are extremely sharp. Forget the gimmick sheath and bending the law.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

The Mili and Police are nice knives, but the OP wants a FIXED blade knife.

Have we concluded that as long as the blade is less than 3.5" and you are outside city limits of Seattle and Tacoma, that fixed blades are ok in Washington State?
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    The Mili and Police are nice knives, but the OP wants a FIXED blade knife. Have we concluded that as long as the blade is less than 3.5" and you are outside city limits of Seattle and Tacoma, that fixed blades are ok?
    I understand, but fixed blade knives are not legal where he lives. Therefore, I would prefer a solid fast deploying pocket knife than a gimmick sheath for an open folder knife which could also violate local law.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    North Carolina has very strict knife laws also for the whole state....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    I haven't seen them for a long time, so they may be hard to find (or no longer around), but I recall seeing folding-knife belt sheaths that would open the knife as it was withdrawn. The knife, of course, could be drawn while closed, but the normal/usual draw caused it to open and lock. Since this is in no way part of the knife itself, it would be hard to press charges against - maybe a strong warning and confiscation, but that's not the same. Wish I could give you a manufacturer's name or something to look for, but I never paid a lot of attention to them other than as a curio. At least, with the internet, if it's still out there you might find it.
    Sorry I can't offer more info.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Are you talking about these: Quick Draw Knife Sheath - YouTube

I have used one before and they work great. Most I have seen were made for the Buck 110 or similiar, but I am sure they can be custom made for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    Have we concluded that as long as the blade is less than 3.5" and you are outside city limits of Seattle and Tacoma, that fixed blades are ok in Washington State?
    For what its worth, I carry a Benchmade Nim-Cub II (3.5" blade) in Wa state (outside sea-tac area) and have showed it to a couple police officers and they see no problem with it.

I also have a Ka-Bar TDI that has been shown to officers.

I would in no way interpret this as an absolute answer but maybe that helps the OP decide

edit: just realised this is an old thread. sorry!

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    There is no blade length restriction in state law in WA. There is also no restriction on what size of a folder blade you can have in state law. There are always potentials for local ordinances, though, so you need to know the law where you're going. The good news is that ordinances are limited to misdemeanor offenses, the bad news is that breaking the law still isn't a very good idea.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links