TN knife laws??

TN knife laws??

This is a discussion on TN knife laws?? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to TN, Gatlinburg specifically, this weekend and had a couple of questions. I know I can't carry my gun in state parks or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TN knife laws??

TN knife laws??

I'm going to TN, Gatlinburg specifically, this weekend and had a couple of questions. I know I can't carry my gun in state parks or forest's or places that serve alcohol, but what about a knife? Any knife limitations I should know about? Are fixed blades, 4", ok? I did a search, but couldn't find answers. Thanks, Keith.

VIP Member
    Blade limit is 4", no auto knives or gravity knives (like butterfly knives) unless you're cop/military, no dagger/double-edged blades, but fixed blades are OK. I read in some legalspeak document that hawkbills are not legal, but I can't re-find that info.

Watch the traffic in Gatlinburg, try to to take side roads if possible. The main stretch goes to an insane dead crawl, especially in the morning and evening hours.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

There is also a huge knife store outlet ....so bring your $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Blade limit is 4", no auto knives or gravity knives (like butterfly knives) unless you're cop/military, no dagger/double-edged blades, but fixed blades are OK. I read in some legalspeak document that hawkbills are not legal, but I can't re-find that info.

Watch the traffic in Gatlinburg, try to to take side roads if possible. The main stretch goes to an insane dead crawl, especially in the morning and evening hours.
    Can you quote the TCA section where the double edged knives are mentioned? The dirks, daggers and bowies language was elminated a few years back. I think there is some restrictions on what can be carried on school property (where the hawkbill is mentioned along with dirks daggers and bowies) but as far as I have been able to find, it is pretty much anything under 4" is OK.
    Last edited by Cruel Hand Luke; March 5th, 2008 at 03:27 PM.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

thanks. this forum is awesome, couldn't ask for better info.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    ....or gravity knives (like butterfly knives).....
    Actually....by the strict letter of the law, butterflies are legal in Tennessee. I work with police and I actually asked one of them to look it up one day, so we did. We found nothing against balisongs as long as the blade doesn't exceed four inches. A Detective Lieutenant of about 20+ years experience walked in and confirmed this.

However (and this is HUGE however), there are LEO's who really aren't very well versed in knife laws and one could easily wind up in jail while they straighten out this little technicality.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Cruel Hand Luke View Post
    Can you quote the TCA section where the double edged knives are mentioned? The dirks, daggers and bowies language was elminated a few years back .... but as far as I have been able to find, it is pretty much anything under 4" is OK.
    I'd like more info on when the statutes were revised if you've got it. I'd really like to be able to carry a push dagger IWB on the weak hand side if it's legal now. I've got some dexterity limitations with my left hand so a fixed blade is all I can use and the T handle of the push is the easiest & safest for my situation.
    Jack

IIRC it was about 2000, but I can't say FOR SURE.

The Dirk, Dagger and Bowie language is now only in the "carrying on school property" section. I'm no attorney, but the way the statute appears to read is that anything under 4" regardless of intent is OK. The statute only appears to prohibit knives OVER 4" WITH the intent to go armed. Here are the pertinent statutes.

39-17-1307. Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon.

(a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4"), or a club.

(2) An offense under subdivision (a)(1) is a Class C misdemeanor, except it is a Class A misdemeanor if the person's carrying of a handgun occurred at a place open to the public where one (1) or more persons were present.

(b) (1) A person commits an offense who possesses a handgun and:

(A) Has been convicted of a felony involving the use or attempted use of force, violence or a deadly weapon; or

(B) Has been convicted of a felony drug offense.

(c) (1) A person commits an offense who possesses any deadly weapon with intent to employ it in the commission of or escape from an offense.

[Acts 1989, ch. 591, 1; 1990, ch. 1029, 6.]

Here is the school property section where I think a lot of people get confused.......This section only refers to the places listed. Not to EVERYWHERE.........

39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property.

(a) As used in this section, "weapon of like kind" includes razors and razor blades, except those used solely for personal shaving, and any sharp pointed or edged instrument, except unaltered nail files and clips and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction and maintenance.

(b) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

(2) A violation of this subsection (b) is a Class E felony.

(c) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if such firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by such adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of such adult, while such vehicle is on school property.

(2) A violation of this subsection (c) is a Class B misdemeanor.

(d) (1) Each chief administrator of a public or private school shall display in prominent locations about the school a sign, at least six inches (6") high and fourteen inches (14") wide, stating:

FELONY. STATE LAW PRESCRIBES A MAXIMUM PENALTY OF SIX (6) YEARS IMPRISONMENT AND A FINE NOT TO EXCEED THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS ($3,000) FOR CARRYING WEAPONS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY.

(2) As used in this subsection (d), "prominent locations" about a school includes, but is not limited to, sports arenas, gymnasiums, stadiums and cafeterias.

(e) The provisions of subsections (b) and (c) do not apply to the following persons:

(1) Persons employed in the army, air force, navy, coast guard or marine service of the United States or any member of the Tennessee national guard when in discharge of their official duties and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms or weapons;

(2) Civil officers of the United States in the discharge of their official duties;

(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the national guard when called into actual service;

(4) Officers of the state, or of any county, city or town, charged with the enforcement of the laws of the state, when in the discharge of their official duties;

(5) Any pupils who are members of the reserve officers training corps or pupils enrolled in a course of instruction or members of a club or team, and who are required to carry arms or weapons in the discharge of their official class or team duties;

(6) Any private police employed by the administration or board of trustees of any public or private institution of higher education in the discharge of their duties; and

(7) Any registered security officer/guard who meets the requirements of title 62, chapter 35, and who is discharging such officer's official duties.

[Acts 1989, ch. 591, 1; 1990, ch. 1029, 8; 1991, ch. 510, 1-3; 1996, ch. 1009, 24.]
    Randy Harris
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I only hope our local LEOs are aware of the revisions. For the most part, the officers I've dealt with here have been a great bunch of folks but we do get the occasional Superhero wannabe. Looks like I need to start researching some push candidates!
    Jack

As far as push daggers go I recommend the Cold Steel Safemaker II and a sheath from Dave Pyle (In Fight Access Sheaths). Dave Makes 1st rate stuff and is a good guy too. I don't think he has a website yet, but I can get his contact info for you.

He can also make a trainer and sheath for it so you can actually work accessing it against an uncooperative opponent and not cut each other.

I know a few guys who are running the Cold Steel knife and really like it. One huge upside is there is no "knife specific" skill sets to learn. If you have any skill at all throwing hands boxing style then you are good to go with the PD without having to learn a new skill set.

Most guys I know who use it look to draw it left handed (or weak handed) so they can still access their pistol too. If you run it vertical at about 11o'clock on your belt (accessible to either hand) then you can access it either hand as the situation calls for but it is still set up more or less for easier weak handed draw. You might not ALWAYS have the hand available you prefer to access the knife with so I prefer to have my knife accessible with either hand .
    Randy Harris
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

+1 on the Cold Steel and Infight Access Sheaths combo.

I just got one of Dave's sheaths for my SafeKeeper III and it is very well done.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I just got one of Dave's sheaths for my SafeKeeper III and it is very well done.

Is there a reason you prefer the III to the II?? Does it's shorter length make it "feel" tighter in your fist?? I'm looking at picking one of these up and you obviously have a good bit of experience with them where as I'm clueless.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I've got one of each and I personally prefer the III because of it's shorter length (not that there's anything wrong with the II, since I have a choice, I carry the III).
    I feel that the longer blade on the II makes leaves less room for error with regard to the angle of incidence (the angle at which something strikes a surface). In other words, if you hit crooked, the longer blade will increase the chances of the knife twisting in your hand.

I've tested this by striking a tree with both models and the III definately feels more stable in my hand when striking hard. When striking an area like the head or upper torso where there is a significant chance of contacting bone, this may be a consideration.
    OTOH, when striking softer targets like the abdomen, you probably won't have to worry very much regardless of the blade length.

I'm working on a new handle for the II to see if a larger diameter handle helps mitigate the feeling of instability with this model...we'll see how that turns out. (the things I do when I'm bored)

I've thought about picking up one of the newer Safemaker II's as this model "splits the difference" between the Safe Keeper II and III (the blade is 1/2" shorter than the SK II)

anyway, that's my $0.02...YMMV
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Thanx...that's exactly what I was thinking. (it may twist in your hand if you hit crooked) That's what I meant my feeling tighter, I just didn't spit it out right. Thanx for your input...the III it is. I'm going to pick up one of their night shade models as well. I bought one of the jungle darts at a gun show on a whim, and all I can say is wow...this thing is very well made for 8 bucks!!
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

The safeMAKER II is what I and most of the guys I know that use the PD use. Of course there is Nothing at all wrong with the Safekeeper III either.......
    Randy Harris
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links