New HD idea?

New HD idea?

This is a discussion on New HD idea? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, So I'm talking a bunch of the fire safety professionals on my campus tonight after we got done pulling fire alarms...and we got on ...

Thread: New HD idea?

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar

New HD idea?

Ok,

So I'm talking a bunch of the fire safety professionals on my campus tonight after we got done pulling fire alarms...and we got on the subject of home defense, althoug I don't remember how.

Anyway, turns out the grizzled old man who works part time on campus (he's retired from full time to open his own shop), has a bunch of fire extinguishers that he charged with red pepper.

Not sure exactly what the correct process to charge a fire extinguisher is, but it's not that hard from what I understand...

I was wondering what you guys thought of the pracicality of this in a situation where lethal force isn't justified...or applicable to the situation?

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Assistant Administrator
    Shucks - a giant OC Spray!! LOL.

Depends I guess on size and capacity of said extinguisher but anything too big will be unwieldy anyways. I suppose if small type then could be ''useful'' - certainly handy against a gangsta mob perhaps

Overall I think I'd stick to the smaller 4 ounce deals and have piece well handy for backup!

Jim - you are getting real inventive these days
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Only problem i could for see if it was at your house you werent home and house caught fire and someone grabbed it opps.

But sign me up for one for my work van

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Chris...

it wasn't my idea. as to the actual process of making one, I'll let you guys know what the requirements are.

I know you can get extinguishers in sizes from 2.5 lbs to a 5 gallon water can... the 2.5 lbs are about the size of a 1 liter bottle of soda, roughly, and weight...well..just over 2.5 lb :)

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Since, in my People's Republic...

...the limit is 3/4 oz, it wouldn't be legal (I wonder if that's carry or posession). But I wonder what the effect of a face full of dry chemical would be.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Gerinald (?) Denny could have used one in LA! I think for home, though, I'd get a Fox "area dispersal" (read CS/OC grenade)unit from a local LE supply. Chuck it out the bedroom door, and wait for the hall to fill up.

Someone brave enough to try one(the extinguisher) , let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884
    Anyway, turns out the grizzled old man who works part time on campus (he's retired from full time to open his own shop), has a bunch of fire extinguishers that he charged with red pepper.

I was wondering what you guys thought of the pracicality of this in a situation where lethal force isn't justified...or applicable to the situation?
    That might come in handy if you were going outside to handle a problem, such as a drunk in your yard, etc. However, if we're talking about home defense inside the home, I'd say lethal force is generally justified against an intruder, depending of course on where you live. Therefore, I would be inclined to stick with my more reliable self-defense tools.

SSKC

Quote Originally Posted by SSKC
    However, if we're talking about home defense inside the home, I'd say lethal force is generally justified against an intruder, depending of course on where you live. Therefore, I would be inclined to stick with my more reliable self-defense tools.

SSKC
    This was pretty much what I was going to say. As far as the fire-extinguisher goes, I think you'd be better served by bouncing it off their head than by trying to make it into a super-sized can of OC.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    If they are in my house without permission I can only believe they are there to harm me and mine.

I'm not a big fan of less lethal stuff except for in riot control situations.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Lead Moderator
    You would need to put a gas mask on too, unless yer gonna breathe that OC too.

Links