My newest "pig-sticker"

This is a discussion on My newest "pig-sticker" within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my CRKT Kasper/Polkowski "Companion" back today. I sent it to a guy I know that does knife work to have it turned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My newest "pig-sticker"

Talking My newest "pig-sticker"

I just got my CRKT Kasper/Polkowski "Companion" back today. I sent it to a guy I know that does knife work to have it turned into a double-edge. Whadya think? (moderators: feel free to resize/delete the pic if it's too big)
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

Nice find. Those are pretty good knives.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Administrator

Thumbs up Nice Photo ~ Nice Toy!

Your picture size is just fine.
    And to quote my Mom from way back...when I was a little tyke:
    "Be Careful That You Don't Cut Yourself With it Now!"

I always liked the Companion but thought it was a little lacking in some very minor ways. I love it when people take things that aren't quite what they could be and bring them up to snuff. Of course that would be illegal as all get out here in Texas to sharpen the other side , but that would make the knife more versatile I think.

Have you considered an aftermarket sheath? The sheath is really the only major complaint I've ever had against a lot of CRKT's fixed blades.

Assistant Administrator
    Double edged illegal Euc? Didn't know that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Depends on your state. In Texas it a "dagger or dirk" is an illegal weapon. Now the thing is, when you read the penal code, it's okay to own such a thing but it falls under the "illegal weapon" classification.

Now strictly speaking, this knife in the thread is neither a dagger nor a dirk. I don't think anyone who's not hardcore Scottish or a historical re-enactor has carried a dirk since the 1800s. However it is double edged and in many cases, case law precedent tells us that any double edged knife is a "dagger".

Knife laws are positively stupid beyond belief in this state and many others. I can go into any store that sells any kind of knife and show you at least a dozen examples of something that's considered an "illegal" knife.

What makes the situation even worse is that enforcement of these laws is very spotty. I'm a clean cut well mannered teacher type. I could probably carry any knife I wanted to so long as no one could see it and never have a bit of trouble. Now if I wore it openly while wearing ratty jeans and a leather jacket after I hadn't shaved for 3 days, I bet I'd get some negative attention.

Perception is key here in Texas in all honesty. The penal code is very vague and to a non knife person, it could describe any knife. For example I know exactly what a "gravity knife" is and it is not a switchblade, but good luck defending that one in court.

But it's not exactly a high priority thing I have to admit next to cleaning up some of the state's other messes so it's probably gonna be that way forever.

Assistant Administrator
    Thx Euc - more I look around the more I see absurd laws relating to edged weapons - many all but unenforceable.

But it ain't just edged weapons laws is it - asp's, blackjacks, knuckles and then of course - yep, guns!!

We are, all almost by default, criminal at some stage of every darned day.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    illegal in MI too. Nice knife though.

Nice!
    Does it feel o.k. for Pikal work?

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Have you considered an aftermarket sheath? The sheath is really the only major complaint I've ever had against a lot of CRKT's fixed blades.
    Yeah, the factory sheaths leave a bit to be desired, I'm planning to order one from Shawn's Tactical. It's an IWB sheath designed for the user to draw to reverse-grip.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    Nice!
    Does it feel o.k. for Pikal work?
    I like the way it handles. The reason I had the double edge done was so I'd be able to work Pikal without losing the outer edge. YMMV, but to me this knife has a good feel (at least until I can afford something from Mercworx or Iron Mountain )
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Kenpo... Parker on Tactical Forums put me onto the Kasper Polkowski Companion fixed blade and I have carried it every day on duty or off in addition to my Benchmade 710 in D2 steel on duty. These are SERIOUS blades and I recommend them without reservation.
    Mike
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmond Burke

Quote Originally Posted by snowman710 View Post
    Kenpo... Parker on Tactical Forums put me onto the Kasper Polkowski Companion fixed blade and I have carried it every day on duty or off in addition to my Benchmade 710 in D2 steel on duty. These are SERIOUS blades and I recommend them without reservation.
    Mike
    agreed, my original post was almost 2 years ago and I still carry the thing almost every day...great knife.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    They are very good knives for the money, that's for sure. Unfortunately, here in Cali, we can't carry them. Well, you can, but not concealed.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Me Too!

I've got a CRKT K/P "Companion" as well. It's the best of line in my opinion but I understand they're dropping it from the catalog. I modified the sheath you show in your photo by grinding away all the "extra" plastic from around the blade pocket. It works & carries much better that way. I also took the other provided sheath and ground all the extra plastic away EXCEPT the two holes at the tip. It makes a perfect neck-knife sheath like that. Then, I used a wood burning tool to stipple the grip slabs for better non-slip & lastly, I had my guys in the Machine Shop drill a lanyard-hole in the upper-rear corner. It's a very handy, capable companion now.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sponsor
    KenpoTex;

Whats the blade steel in that knife?

For sheaths to reverse grip, look to Mike Sastre as well. His "drawpoint" design is amazingly fast to out and working and can be carried in a multitude of positions. I have two of his rigs for my shorter straights like the Perrin Bowie and M10.

http://www.rivercitysheaths.com/photo.htm

Here's a picture of his drawpoint with the knife you own and another. If you talk to Mike, tell him Brownie sent ya. Mikes one of the premier kydex sheath makers and has helped numerous others get started in the kydex/concealex sheath business.

Brownie
    Attached Images
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links