GOOD QUALITY Stun Gun?

This is a discussion on GOOD QUALITY Stun Gun? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not talking about a Tazer (with launching prongs), but rather a small, compact, top-quality Stun Gun. All I can seem to find is terrible ...

Thread: GOOD QUALITY Stun Gun?

GOOD QUALITY Stun Gun?

I'm not talking about a Tazer (with launching prongs), but rather a small, compact, top-quality Stun Gun. All I can seem to find is terrible junk. Anyone have any input or experience on higher quality manufacturers?

Thanks.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    You're not going to want to hear this, but the Taser is the way to go, for several reasons:

1. It actually WORKS! It does NOT rely upon pain, but creates an actual and near-total dysfunction. The same cannot be said for most (if not all) "stun guns".

2. You don't need to be within contact distance to use it.

3. Its laser pointer serves as a powerful deterrent.

4. The little plastic ID chips dispersed upon firing and the data recorded in the Taser's memory leave no doubt as to when and where the incident occurred, for subsequent police investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    All I can seem to find is terrible junk.
    And that's all you will find...they suck.

If the BG is close enough to touch, you'd be better served with good empty-hand tactics or an edged or impact weapon.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Everything I have read agrees with Sgt. Mac in regard to 'stun guns'. Basically if you want something that works, you want a Taser.

FWIW, Taser has a newer model that is more compact and less 'gun-like', geared towards the civi market: Taser C2

BTW, if you get one, get some extra cartridges and practice. I know it is expensive, but learning to be proficient with it in the middle of being assaulted probably isn't optimal.

-john

Take the two above replies as gospel about stun guns. Between the Taser being a billion times better for nearly all situations compared to a stun gun, and the fact that quality empty-hand tactics would be superior in close situations than the stun gun... Well, stun guns just aren't worth it. I'd rather fight a person with no weapons or a kubotan rather than a stun gun.
    Beretta 92FS

While I'd be the first to agree that a tazer is much better, you still don't want to get popped a couple of times with 975,000 volts. Believe me...It hurts. Every time I've shown my wifes to someone they never seem to volunteer to get tagged by it. The problem with either of these things is thick clothing. There are very few situations I can think of where either of these would be as useful as OC. (unless you're a LEO) Kubotons take a little training...h2h takes a lot of training. An edged weapon is probably the next best thing to a snub nose for up close situations. Is there a particular reason you were looking for a non-lethal option other than OC? The niche for tazers and stun guns is very small. The reason my wife has one is that she's still shakey about using a gun...she has no qualms about stabbing an assailent 10x with a jungle dart but doesn't want to use a gun...don't ask me to explain it...I can't. I'm slowly working my way towards getting her to carry.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I'm not talking about a Tazer (with launching prongs), but rather a small, compact, top-quality Stun Gun. All I can seem to find is terrible junk. Anyone have any input or experience on higher quality manufacturers?

Thanks.
    The only effective stun-gun I know of plugs into the 220 outlet, so its a tad difficult to carry beyond the garage.

For a civilian (those of us not wearing Batman belts), OC, a pocket-stick or flashlight, and a few months 2-3 nights a week in a gym with boxing/grappling/etc, would be a better expenditure of the $200-300 vis-a-vis the Tazer. Unfortunately many folks believe the Tazer is a good way to stop an assailant without "real violence" or getting their knuckles bloody.

Who was the Tazer designed for? Guys with other guys with guns backing them up. Something to bear in mind...

I can't agree more with Rob and Kenpo...I've tried a number of different stun guns and they all are cheap made in china, easily fall apart, and won't stop an attacker. I'm not sure about the Tasers though as i've only taken the ride once and that one and only time was rather effective. My only issue with the the taser is that you're going to have to train with it.

As for the efficacy of the stun guns...we used to play with them in college and I've taken the ride up to 300,000v(the stunmaster ones) and still kept kickin. I know I'm beating a dead horse because I've said it in other threads, but a determined attacker is NOT going to be stopped by a stun-gun. If anything it will just p*ss 'em off more.

I don't know the specs on why the taser works better. The amperage actually looks lower on the specs than the stunmasters. The only thing I can figure is maybe the pulse duration is longer.

To keep it on topic, I can tell you to stay away from the 100 and 300s stunmasters. My reasons...A) I've been hit..and yes they hurt, but they don't disable unless you hold it for an extended period (which isn't going to happen when you're close enough for me to clobber); B) They're not made well (ie sharp edges, not ergonomic, etc...)
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Tasers work because their discharge is tuned to the frequency of the human nervous system. They basically cause the nerves controlling the muscles to all fire and cycle very fast. They don't need a lot of amperage to work, and only use the voltage they do because the manufacturer wants to ensure they will work if the darts get hung up in clothes.

Regarding those who say, "learn hand to hand" or such, note we don't know the reasoning *behind* the OP's question. He could be asking for someone disabled or elderly or not inclined or capable of physical self defense.

To the OP, keep in mind that when using less lethal options, you need to think through what happens *after* you deploy the defensive weapon, be it OC or Taser.

For example, IIRC the C2 Taser gives the attacker a 30 second ride and the indicated use is to set the Taser down and run. But if you can't run fast enough to get away in 30 seconds, you need to go back and re-think things.

-john

Administrator
    Yup. Tasers and stun guns are a bad idea for general publics use.

To somewhat answer the question of the OP though, I have never seen a quality made stun gun. In fact, I havent seen any for a long time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have tried several stun guns and after a short while they all literally fell apart into piles of junk. I don't know of any quality stun guns period. Instead I now carry a Kimber Guardian Angel pepper spray device. Tasers are effective but also expensive and at $300.00 to $600.00 I would just as soon buy another pistol. Pepper spray is effective in non lethal situations and a lot cheaper to boot.

That's kinda' what I suspected. I haven't seen any top-quality stun gun because...there aren't any.

I asked the question for a rather, uh, unique reason, there's some recent findings (relayed by a Reptile Researcher/College Professor/friend of mine) that a high-voltage electric shock (stun gun?) is a very effective treatment for venomous snakebite. Some natives he met in South America use the coil & kickstarter from an old motorbike to ZAP the bite area with some pretty impressive results. Of course, since he's an old friend...he may just be trying to con me into jolting the crap out of myself! And that's only after he quits laughing about me getting snakebit in the first place.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Hey you want to stun someone....pull a .380 or 9mm or 357 or 45...I'll just bet they are stunned
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Links