Knife Newbie with three questions

This is a discussion on Knife Newbie with three questions within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1. Aside from collectibles, why are some folding knives $300+?? 2. Are they really that good? 3. Recommendations for a good auto?...

Thread: Knife Newbie with three questions

Distinguished Member

Knife Newbie with three questions

1. Aside from collectibles, why are some folding knives $300+??
    2. Are they really that good?
    3. Recommendations for a good auto?

2. Remove Ads

Well, usually when they're $300 +, they're either collectables or the materials they are made out of are very high quality.

I recently purchased a benchmade 630 skirmish, which is usually a 270 dollar knife (got a good deal for 190, all expenses included), and am extremely impressed. You generally get what you pay for.

As for auto's, can't really say, though I do have a benchmade auto thats real good, but I can't remember the name..... hold on, let me dig it up.

Edit- here we go

630- http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...aspx?model=630

auto (9050 AFO)- Product Details (Benchmade Knife Company - Premiere manufacturer of knives and rescue tools.)

I couldn't justify spending a couple hundred on knife. I bought a Smith and Wesson knife at a gun show and couldn’t be happier. I’m sure it’s not as good as a benchmade, but if I am spending over 200, that’s almost LCP
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

aznav, I love your avatar!

1. I see the high price point reflecting exotic materials, precision construction, and often rarity (i.e. hand-fitted limited runs).
    2. You can get something that cuts just fine for $50, but the more expensive ones have other "value" that you'll have to determine.
    3. Sorry-won't venture any uneducated guesses on the autos for ya.

1. IMO, with a few exceptions (Sebenza, BM Skirmish, etc.) you're mostly paying for the name.

2. For the most part, I don't think so. There are plenty of knives out there in the $50-150 range that will serve you just as well and won't send you into cardiac arrest if you lose/break one. (Spyderco, Benchmade, Cold Steel, SOG)

3. Microtech, Pro-tech, Benchmade, or maybe M.O.D. (though I really don't see a real advantage to an auto).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I am partial to Ka-Bar. Well made, reliable, traditional and reasonable.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I sort of look at a tactical knife like ammunition. You don't use it to open the mail, (that would be a heck of a shot) but, when you need to use it, you will likely loose it afterwards, either stuck in an eye-socket or a bone or the LEO's will take it for evidence. Loosing a $65 knife hurts, but not as much as a $300 knife.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    I bought a ProTech auto, it's been a really good knife. stays sharp, reliable mechenism. As you probably already know, Auto's are legal in AZ, but I'm not sure in other states. I bought the one called the "runt" the website says it's Calif. legal? I don't think I'll chance it.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    I couldn't justify spending a couple hundred on knife. I bought a Smith and Wesson knife at a gun show and couldn’t be happier. I’m sure it’s not as good as a benchmade, but if I am spending over 200, that’s almost LCP
    In comparison the usual cost of the Smith & Wesson knife is much much less than the $300 folding knife. However, these lower cost name brand name knives including what Smith & Wesson sells are of very high quality, and unless it is a collectible, it will be lost many years before it will ever wear out.

I have a few of the very expensive knives and wonder why I ever bought them. Actually I do know -- it is pretending that it is far better than what most have. However, in reality I know that they are not likely to cut any better or last longer than a much cheaper quality knife.

All that being said -- if you are buying a knife as a collectible, that is another story and has little to do with utility. For example, my Randall given to me years ago is a dear item to me, but it is too heavy for practical use. Also, because of the cost, it has to stay in the drawer.

Maybe a little different answer, and not always a guarantee, but:

Better locks. Cheap liner-locks are cheap finger removers. If you're cutting fishing line, or stripping some 20g electrical wire, having a lock failure is more likely an inconvenience that a serious cut risk. If you carry a knife as a back-up, or for places you can't carry your firearm, that's very different usage. Amok Hodges has a fine little 30 sec YouTube vid detailing his liner lock mod.

Materials and finishing. Machining and CNC machines cost money,as does R&D. sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you won't. Depends on your needs & uses.

Autos. Pretty much, I'd only endorse a MT HALO, OTF, if you intend it for geniune SD/self-rescue/one-hand use. Side openers require more space in their opening arc, and (personally) don't offer anything a wave & thumb hole or stud doesn't.

Distinguished Member
    Excellent, gentlemen, excellent. What a great forum and great advice.
    Thanks for taking the time to write. aznav

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    As previously mentioned, with the higher end knives you're really looking at quality of materials and workmanship. Very often you're talking custom, or non-production knives. For an edc "working" knife, there are plenty of good knives that won't break the bank. Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, etc....

"Good" or relative "worth" is sometimes in the eye of the beholder. This little 3" slip-joint (ordinary non-locking pocket knife) http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-slippie.html cost me almost $400. A lot of people would say that that's insane (including my wife) and that you could get something that would function just as well for a $35.....and they'd be mostly right. Just as a Ford Focus will get you across town pretty much the same as an S-class Mercedes will. Only you can decide if the additional cost is worth the somewhat subjective benefit.

Autos are a little different. Because of the importance and complexity of the firing/locking mechanism, you really do see quite a quality difference in the better knives. As Rob72 mentioned, if you like an OTF, the MT Halo is hard to beat. I also like the ProTechs and if you really want a tough auto, check out the Severtech Switchblade Knives. Mucho expensive, but bulletproof. Although it's pretty hard to find right now, Spyderco has a new auto that they've just introduced that's supposed to be pretty solid. Available under $200 IIRC.

Hope that helps.....

I carry and use a knife every day all day. I looked for a knife that would do for general cutting chores, but would work well in a self defense situation. I want my hand to be used to the knife so when I go to it everything will be automatic and I will not have to think about how it comes out and so forth. I use a Kershaw Blackout. I truthfully have a lot more knives than I need, but that is part of the fun of it. Another knife I like is the Buck Cirus, but it doesn't fit me hand as well. The choices are endless.
    Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks, Buck. I'll check them both out.

ps. check out the reviews. Kershaw K.O. Blackout K1550 - K1550

Links