Who likes customs. - Page 2

Who likes customs.

This is a discussion on Who likes customs. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you haven't handled and used one, be careful about ruling them out. Some folks think a worked on Taurus 92 series has a great ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who likes customs.

If you haven't handled and used one, be careful about ruling them out. Some folks think a worked on Taurus 92 series has a great trigger, and is gnat-popping accurate.
    It may be............for Taurus All in what you want to spend your pennies on. (I've got my second HALO coming today )

VIP Member
    Beautiful knives! If I had the extra $$$ to spend, I'd have a whole safe full of custom knives. But that's also a problem - they'd sit in the safe.

I love the skull thumbstuds!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

There is nothing wronge with a high quality production knife at all. That is what I carry. In fact the Benchmade 630 and 635 are so well built that they are not to far off from the customs that they were copied from. The handle scales and the blades are just a little thiner and the knife in whole is not as beefy as the custom but they are well made and as close to perfect in function as you can get. Spyderco has been makeing good knives for years and you cant go wronge with one.

Untill you have had the chance to use a custom made knife from makers like Jim Burke and Neil Blackwood you just cant comprahend the diff. They are built extra beefy for hard use and that is it. Jims knives are designed to be pretty to look at, they just turn out that way.
    Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

Here is a set of custom fixed blades made by Jim Burke. These knives were designed to be hidden. If you notice the J hook on the kydex sheath you will see that it was designed to be worn IWB. The blades are really thick but there are really no handle scales to add thickness so they conceal very well. One does have titanium overlays that have been heat colored with a torch for looks. Blades are made from S-30V.
    Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

Here is a little neck knife that he makes called the Snitch. Blade is S-30v.
    Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

You....Are....An....Evil....Man. What was the "vigg" on those folders, if I might ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    You....Are....An....Evil....Man. What was the "vigg" on those folders, if I might ask?
    Define "vigg".
    Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

Old term from God knows where, "paying the viggorish", protection money, ante, in this case "ransom" , what have you. (possibly something Italian having to do with "life", and mangled phonetically....?)

If you order it from Jim you are looking at 500.00 bucks and over a year wait for a folder. So you get over a year to get your money together. If you find one on one of the internet knife stores then you are looking at a price as high as 1300.00 for a folder.
    Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

Now you can call me evil. :diablotin .

Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

Quote Originally Posted by shannon
    If you order it from Jim you are looking at 500.00 bucks and over a year wait for a folder. So you get over a year to get your money together. If you find one on one of the internet knife stores then you are looking at a price as high as 1300.00 for a folder.

Why pay that much money for a knife. If I had that much extra cash around I would by a pistol, shot gun or something.. Heck, go grocery shopping. A 500.00 to 1300.00 :chairshot
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

"paying the viggorish"
    It's actually Sicilian and spelled 'vigorish.'
    It is the interest paid to a loan shark.
    It is also called juice.
    It is derived from the Italian word vigna meaning vinyard.
    Wine or juice.

Why pay that much money for a knife-BlueLion

If you are a collector/user/afficionado of (whatever), you pay a premium. Mr Burke is obviously a top maker, and his name commands a premium price. If that is what you're into, then you'll pay it.
    Same with cars, guns, hell, even sunglasses. There's always a less expensive route, but some people just have to have a custom.
    You could pay $500 for a plain ol' Spingfield Armory WWII model 1911, or, you could pay $3500 for a Burns Custom Colt Arena. This is what drives the market -demand. Some can live with bare bones, others pay up.

Dan

If any one thinks that is to much to pay, then you would be just like I used to be. When you know a maker like Jim, and only live about 20 min. from him, and get to hang out with people like Neil Blackwood then you sort of get hooked.
    Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

That's because you are buying a 'little piece of the maker'. A truly gifted craftsman pours his heart into his creations. Since you get to visit these artisans, and get to know them, you buy their stuff to 1)support a friend, 2) in a way, keep them with you.
    If you ever talk to someone who knew and owns a Colt from Armend Swenson, they would pay again whatever it took to keep that gun. It keeps the bond , so to speak.

Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links