Who likes customs.

This is a discussion on Who likes customs. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guess the maker of these....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who likes customs.

Who likes customs.

Guess the maker of these.

Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

2. Remove Ads

Nice looking Knives i know squat about custom knives so i wont even bother guessing

No idea who made em.

But I'm wondering about the absence of a serated edge and tanto tip. The design on the handle isn't the same and I can't tell it they are lock back or not. Judging by the skull thumb extenders, I'm guessing, one for the left hand and one for the right.

On a guess, I'd say it was you who made em?

Mike
    Last edited by LPguy; September 28th, 2005 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LPguy
    No idea who made em.

But I'm wondering about the absence of a serated edge and tanto tip.
    I consider the absence of those things a huge bonus personally... Nice pieces. No idea who made them but they look awesome and I bet they cut like there's no tomorrow.

Lead Moderator
    nice, I like the barbed wire look to the handles.

Assistant Administrator
    I am no knife afficionado but from the pic - nice!

So - who made em?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My best friend, when he was active duty special forces officer, he had two combat knives made to be "sterile" that is unable to be identified as of American manufacture...he said it was just in case he "lost it in somebody" so nobody would be able to state that American troops were "in country." Other than for that narrow reason, I really don't see the reason for custom knives except as an ART FORM. There is no doubt that knives are incredibly beautiful in and of themselves when made by hand. Their utility is only a bonus, since most will never be used in that fashion. To me there are too many brands of ultra high quality (Spyderco for example or Boken or you name it) I myself prefer a Spyderco with a partially serrated blade in the middle and a smooth and sharp front end. I notice the initials "JB" on one of the blades, is that the maker's initials....would that be you?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator

The Little Skulls

I LIKE them!

Hmmmm.... Barry & Philip Jones are "Jones Knives", & I don't believe they do much "pretty stuff". Familiar lines, similar to Neil Blackwood, or Jeff Hall, but sure can't put a name to them. Like the thumb studs :diablotin

Are you one of those pervs (like myself) who spend entirely too much $$ for doubles of gear you like?

(The same "shannon" from Microholics?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Hmmmm.... Barry & Philip Jones are "Jones Knives", & I don't believe they do much "pretty stuff". Familiar lines, similar to Neil Blackwood, or Jeff Hall, but sure can't put a name to them. Like the thumb studs :diablotin

Are you one of those pervs (like myself) who spend entirely too much $$ for doubles of gear you like?

(The same "shannon" from Microholics?)
    Yep I am the same shannon fromMicroholics.

The makers name is Jim Burke. These knives are built for those that view knives as mission essential. You just cannot tear these things up. The blades are S-30V and the handles are titanium. The designes on the handles are done with a torch so no two will look just a like.

Neil Blackwood? Do you mean this guy.

He was hanging out at Jims shop two weeks ago. It was cool hanging out with him.
    Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

Senior Moderator
    I like 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I really don't see the reason for custom knives except as an ART FORM.
    That's exactly why I don't really see why anybody "needs" a SIG or an HK pistol or a high end 1911...

It's all priorities. I own exactly one custom knife and have no plans to buy more at the moment.

There is more to a good custom than just an art form.
    Take Care,

Shannon
    www.microholics.org

Pretty is as pretty does, so to speak. If one is served equally well by a quality 'production' knife, but has no interest in its asthetic qualities or its 'uniqueness', then one has little interest in a custom knife. If, however, one admires not only the utility of the knife, but the qualities and the art AND science of a top notch build, then he will be enamoured by a custom knife built to his specs.
    I am well served with my pair of Spydercos, but, just looking at the pics of the blades featured in this thread make me think that I ought to, at one time in my life, own a custom knife by a quality shiv-artist. Priorities reign supreme in a responsible person' s life: meeting needs before wants. Right now, I cannot afford a true custom blade, but when certain needs are met, and finances become available, I would love to further research the purchase of a 'me, me , me me me knife'. Made for me, to my specs, for no other reason than it would be linked to me thru its design and execution.
    So, for most folks, quality productions will do. For others, nothing but a hand built, best grade pig sticker will suffice. The rest of us fall in the middle: likey, but no monee.
    Yes, I like customs. Thank you shannon, for sharing those, and giving a few of us a taste of a custom.

Dan

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    The way I see it, and this is from a person who carries a folder and a neck knife...if I resort to a knife I f'ed up.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links