Fixed Knife - For Neck Carry

This is a discussion on Fixed Knife - For Neck Carry within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this little knife and thought it would be a nice stout blade to carry as a last ditch weapon. The real reason what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed Knife - For Neck Carry

I saw this little knife and thought it would be a nice stout blade to carry as a last ditch weapon. The real reason what drew me to this particular knife, is the fact that the knife comes with a sheath and chain and is meant to be worn on the neck like any conventional chain/necklace. I like this aspect because my pockets are always full and it seems like a great way to conceal a knife and no BG is going to be able to get inside my shirt to take a grab for it either. As I said before this is more of a last ditch weapon (I carry others). Just wanted to see what your guys/girls thoughts were. Also any thoughts on the legal aspects of carrying this (I live in PA). -- Here is the URL for where you would buy the Knife (pictures of knife here too.)

Smith and Wesson Knives: S&W Neck Knives

Here is a different model:

Smith & Wesson Badge Knife With Serrated Hook Black Blade HRT

I always wanted one of those, but I figured that they would be uncomfortable. Anyone carries one of these for concealed purposes? If you could chime in, I sure would appreciate it. Any ones that are particularly nice. Sometimes, expensive doesn't mean better. Thanks in advance.

BAC
    I would strongly recommend reconsidering neck carry for anything defensive. Neck carry means whatever you're carrying will move, shift, etc., sometimes into odd positions, and you will never get to it as quickly as you could if you kept the knife about anywhere else.

Just out of curiosity, is there any specific reason you were looking into neck carry?

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I would strongly recommend reconsidering neck carry for anything defensive. Neck carry means whatever you're carrying will move, shift, etc., sometimes into odd positions, and you will never get to it as quickly as you could if you kept the knife about anywhere else.

Just out of curiosity, is there any specific reason you were looking into neck carry?

-B
    I was just curious how effective CC would be, being it was another nontraditional location to carry. I have been getting used to rapid deploy left pocket and right inner waistband carry for my folding knives. I just thought that this would be higher up on my body so it would be an optional place to obtain a knife if I needed it in a hurry.

BAC
    Well, try this: if you have a set of dog tags or something else that hangs from a necklace, see how fast you can grasp them from underneath the shirt. Just reach and grab (obviously ‘drawing’ isn’t really an option). See if you can do that faster from the neck compared to drawing from the waist-line or pocket like you normally carry.

Here’s a few questions to think on, now.

Do you gain a benefit over another form of carry? Is it comfortable? Can you reliably present the knife when the chips are down, or will it move too much?

These aren’t loaded questions, but they’re worth considering.

Maybe I’m narrow-minded, but my personal views of neck carry are a lot like my personal views of Condition 2 carry for a 1911.

-B

-B
    +1. I've tried neck carry and have found it ineffective. It's uncomfortable, harder than you'd think to access the knife, and the knife moves all over the place......in a SD scenario, you could easily find yourself in a position where the knife was completely innaccessible to you. Beyond that, somewhat subjectively, it just felt too mall ninja...ish to me.

My .02

Well, try this: if you have a set of dog tags or something else that hangs from a necklace, see how fast you can grasp them from underneath the shirt. Just reach and grab (obviously ‘drawing’ isn’t really an option). See if you can do that faster from the neck compared to drawing from the waist-line or pocket like you normally carry.
    ...and after you're done with that, do it while lying on your back on the ground or rolling around with someone.

I'm going to agree with BAC on this one. As has been stated, you won't get it as quickly because it's under the shirt. You also won't get it as consistently because it moves around. The second reason I mentioned is the big one for me, I want my tools to be in the same place every time I reach for them so that if/when I reach for them under stress (i.e. when I'm rolling on the ground with someone, or when I'm crashing in on a guy who's trying to take my head off) I don't have to "hunt" for the tool.

You're already carrying one on each side which is a good thing. I'd recommend just practicing with those and make sure to do it from different positions.

If for some reason I decided I needed to locate a knife higher on my body, I'd probably go with some sort of chest sheath/harness type setup like the ones from Survival Sheath. Those have the benefit of being a bit more stable. However, you still have the whole "up under the shirt" thing working against you.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Moderator
    I do not recommend carrying any defensive weapon in any manner whree it is not always fixed in a specfic location.

You do not want to be fumbling around trying to grab a weapon that is moving when your life is on the line.

I carry a KaBar TDI LDK attached behind my belt buckle. I will recommend a small fixed blade as long as it is securely fastened to you.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I like the neck knives. Got into a potential scuffle one time outside of a bar, two hoodlooms approaching from 10 o'clock and 3 o'clock. They tried to roust us up, but I wasn't having anything to do with it, and my friend certianly wasn't as he pulled his neck knife out pretty fast actually and told them to back up with a few other choice words thrown in there. I think its a highly concelable option with pretty good draw speed potential; but, like anything concealed it depends on what you are wearing.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

The whole movement thing aside. If you had to deploy the knife in a SD scenario it would seem that there is good chance that you could slice\stab yourself with it in adrenaline charged moment as you draw it, and an injury to the chest could quickly put you out of action.

But for less then $20 it still looks like a cool knife to own.
    Last edited by badger54; March 30th, 2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I carry a CRKT Stiff Kiss in its kydex sheath, inverted, at mid-chest level.

That being said, I dispensed with the neck chain, and instead attached the clip so that I could clip it to the trauma plate pocket of my body armor.

It's strictly a last-ditch weapon.

I am an advocate of necknives myself. Course I carry a Kershaw Vapor II in my pocket and a SAK SuperTinker. I have carried a S&W HRT,a CRKT Ryan Plan B,a Cold Steel Braveheart,a Cold Steel Pendelton MiniHunter(makes a dang nice hip and/or necknife),a HideAwayKnife,and finally a Emerson La Griffe. As far as the way a necknife carries, if you train yourself to be able to draw it almost anywhere it may be, which is not easy I agree,it is a good defense weapon. Again you really need your selfdefense tools in layers where you will always have one or two available.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

I don't like the idea of ANY kind of durable cord or chain around my neck. To me, if it's tough enough to remain intact in allowing an urgent (condition RED) tug to release my knife...then it's also tough enough to allow my assailant (or his accomplice) to use it as a pre-arranged garrote. Nope! Anything around my neck must easily break-away well before it can become a issue.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Friends,

I've been using Carter knives for several years and find them quite satisfactory. Google: "Murray Carter"

Cordially,
    Gary

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I don't like the idea of ANY kind of durable cord or chain around my neck. To me, if it's tough enough to remain intact in allowing an urgent (condition RED) tug to release my knife...then it's also tough enough to allow my assailant (or his accomplice) to use it as a pre-arranged garrote. Nope! Anything around my neck must easily break-away well before it can become a issue.
    They usually use dog-tag chains or the like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links