nice try, TSA

This is a discussion on nice try, TSA within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was flying from San Francisco, CA to Atlanta, GA recently and I was checking my case containing my Glock G22, my wifes 9mm, ...

Thread: nice try, TSA

nice try, TSA

So I was flying from San Francisco, CA to Atlanta, GA recently and I was checking my case containing my Glock G22, my wifes 9mm, two boxes of ammo, four magazines, and our 2 edged weapons. All was good, and the TSA folks did their jobs just as they were supposed to. We flew to Atlanta, and when we got off the plane, my wife handed me her keys out of her pocket for the lock on the case. Low and behold, right there on her key chain, which was in her pants pocket for the entire flight was her knife. She got her knife through airport security, and flew all the way to ATL without realizing it. Sometimes I wonder how good our security really is........

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    All's well that ends well, I suppose? Obviously, your wife was no threat to anyone (not the law-abiding, anyway).
    Last edited by falcon1; March 27th, 2008 at 12:25 AM.

BAC
    This may or may not have happened one or more times in my own flying experiences.

-B

Your wife must not be an 80 year old grandmother otherwise she would have been frisked for sure.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

no, she is a 20 year old woman....hmmm....but then again we had our 1 year lold daughter with us and she was carrying none other than a sippy cup full of 6oz of juice i believe..funny what they will overlook i guess..nobody is perfect (PS this is NOT a thread slamming TSA or their reps..just a comical experience I thought I would share, no disrespect meant!)

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    one of the guys i work with flew around the country going to different jobs for about a month after returning from the sandbox.

In the bottom of his briefcase was a 6" straight edge knife. He never had any problems, and was mighty surprised when he found it at one of his job sites.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

That's happened to me to. Checked everything, but got right through security with a full Swiss Army Knife kit in my fanny-pak. Makes you wonder...
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    The funny part is all of you who are boasting about getting through with a knife will be complaining when they confiscate it next flight.....
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

I don't think anyone believes airport screening is 100%......it just ain't so. Only one part of a multi pronged "attempt" at securing our skies.

I don't know how much metal those detectors are supposed to pick up... A guy I was traveling with was astounded that I didn't remove my belt (beltman, heavy steel buckle) before walking through the arch... no problem at all.

The scariest thing I've had happen is to find a .308 round floating around loose in the bottom of my carry on bag while unpacking. That's when I decided perhaps a dedicated range bag might be a good idea :)

I've had them take a couple of cheap knives... I never take a good one when I'm going to be traveling. I bought a dozen lock back knives at the dollar store for just this purpose. I've never been more upset than when they confiscated my Carmex... I'm addicted to the stuff. A 4 hour flight without it is torture!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

ree
    Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    The scariest thing I've had happen is to find a .308 round floating around loose in the bottom of my carry on bag while unpacking. That's when I decided perhaps a dedicated range bag might be a good idea :)
    Ummm...yeah. If they had decided to do the random swab test for explosives residue, you might have had an uncomfortable time afterwards.

I know a woman who is carries and shoots a lot. She happened to have her EDC purse swabbed at a TSA checkpoint and had to do a lot of talking to get on her way. Apparently, it helped that she was a 911 dispatcher and had references in her local police department for the TSA staff to talk too. She decided to get a second purse just for traveling. I sort of wonder what would happen to an average "non-connected" Joe.

I went through Dulles security shortly after 9/11 w/ $8 in quarters in my pocket and didn't set off any alarms. I realized this on the way to my gate and stopped a TSA rep and told him what happened. His response was, "If we set the machines too sensative, we'll have to stop everybody." He didn't seem concerned in the least. $8 in quarters is a heck of a lot of metal to get through the detector.
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

I think that if TSA overlooked a baby's sippy-cup of juice and a key-chain (which is essentially all those little swiss army knives are) carried by a law-abiding citizen who had already properly checked their firearms it means they actually DID do their job--they left the innocent alone. whether they INTENDED to or not is another issue lol.

Links