Knives--Ladies and/or Nurses

This is a discussion on Knives--Ladies and/or Nurses within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking into picking up a knife for my wife to carry when she is at work, more specifically to and from the parking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knives--Ladies and/or Nurses

Knives--Ladies and/or Nurses

I am looking into picking up a knife for my wife to carry when she is at work, more specifically to and from the parking lot. She leaves work at around 11:30 at night and there are not many people around at that time. I have some OC spray on order, but she is also interested in carrying a knife with her for defense as well (hospital does not allow CCW).
    Working at the hospital she wears scrubs; therefore, she will need a knife with a sheath that does not require belt loops (a clip-on maybe) and is light enough that it doesn't cause her pants to droop too much, and lastly must be concealable enough so that it is not too noticable. If there are any ladies or nurses out there (or even better, lady nurses) that can comment from experience that would be great, but any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

bm

2. Remove Ads

belly band a fixed balde. Neck knives move around and print too much.
    -Biker

As an additional measure only, will security at the hospital walk employees to their cars upon request?
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Knife

My wife (nursing student) carries a Kershaw Rainbow Leek.
    KAI USA : Kershaw Product Details
    It's very light and trim. No problems in scrubs, and if it is noticed, it looks more "cute" than "weapon". It is very sharp and capable but the tip is a little thin for utility work. Better save it for serious use rather than everyday cutting. There are thousands of places selling custom scrubs online. A little research should turn up a place to get a hidden IWB pocket or something suitable for a knife. The neck knife thing was a no-go from day one for her.

FWIW, I hear that a few nurses at the local hospital ER carry the Kimber Lifeact OC sprayer because it is not obviously a weapon and is shaped more like a cell phone, PDA, etc. Of course, I doubt that it is true since no one may carry any weapon at this hospital. Including the security guards...

Many to choose from. I'm a fan of the Spyderco's myself. Native or the Delica are two good choices.

Having said that, OC should definitely be her first line of defense with the knife as a very last resort, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    if it is noticed, it looks more "cute" than "weapon".
    That is more accurately what I am looking for. Something that is not matte black, and tacticool looking is preferred. Although, we would prefer a fixed blade over a folder.

As far as the security guards, most are too busy talking to the street-rats that come in, and the rest are as unsavory as your common crackhead (okay not that bad, but you get the idea).

Hospital

I can't think of a fixed blade that would pass the "cute" test. You do have a nice flashlight, right? the wife spends a lot of time around these unarmed victim zones at night. In addition to the OC and a good knife, she has a L1 light and a G2 with an ungodly powerful bulb in it. The L1 is for sure not tactical looking, but the new ones are like 10 lumens on low and 65 on high. Goes from find-your-car-keys to blind-the-street-rat with just a firm press of the button.
    L1 LumaMax® LED Flashlight in Bright Blue, Green, Red or White from SureFire

Kabar TDI with belt clip works great. Small light, and easy to use. She could also take the course that go with the knife to really learn how to defend herself.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

As has been stated, a fixed-blade kinda kills the "cute utility knife" thing. However, I do agree that a fixed-blade is a better choice than a folder (and she'll be concealing it anyway so it doesn't really matter).

I'd recommend either a TDI or a push-dagger. Both are light, compact, and easy to conceal (and Cold steel makes a composite version of their PD's if you want something even lighter).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I wonder why hospitals do not hire off duty cops for security?Hospitals are too cheap?I know,hospitals make no money

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by S3ymour View Post
    Kabar TDI with belt clip works great. Small light, and easy to use. She could also take the course that go with the knife to really learn how to defend herself.
    Second vote for the TDI. Really easy to learn how to use. I recommend formal training with any knife, though, because knives are not intuitive defensive tools.

Don't dismiss OC, though. More than one problem has been avoided because of good OC (and I don't mean the stuff that wears off after half an hour).

-B

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I wonder why hospitals do not hire off duty cops for security?Hospitals are too cheap?I know,hospitals make no money
    just depends...2 of the 3 big hospitals in my area only hire people with reserve commissions from the local sheriff's depts. They work full-time for the hospital but are armed (pistol, baton, OC, taser) and have arrest powers.
    The other hospital hires flunkies for $8/hour...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

IIRC the Gerber Guardian is a fixed blade Fairbairn "type" knife with a sheath that clips to the belt. I foolishly traded mine away years ago and recently replaced it with a CRKT "Sting".

Personally I'd try to find something with a serratted edge, they tend to work better. By better I mean, not a clean cut, but more of a tear. That makes it harder to suture and repair the wound.

Biker

+1 on the push dagger...It's small, concealable and very nasty. If her hospitol allows OC, then by all means have her carry it. Hose the BG first, then a couple of quick punches while he can't see and run like hell...(blowing a whistle if she's got one)
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I don't know if it has been mentioned already but you may want to check first with the local DA's office to see if fixed blade knives are legal to carry. In my neck of the woods they are a no- no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links