Tactical Pen:Fact or Fiction - Page 2

Tactical Pen:Fact or Fiction

This is a discussion on Tactical Pen:Fact or Fiction within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm also intrigued by the Unbreakable Umbrella . Completely innocuous item to travel with, but perfectly capable of handing out a complete set of lumps. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tactical Pen:Fact or Fiction

I'm also intrigued by the Unbreakable Umbrella. Completely innocuous item to travel with, but perfectly capable of handing out a complete set of lumps. Plus, it keeps a good 3 foot separation from your opponent.

Joe

I have noticed that in Concealed Carry magazine myself. Another good concept.
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

CROSS PEN.....i have an aluminum bodied Cross that I use exclusively for travel...never gets a second look.

Also for those of you who travel with a rollbag and a computer bag, I clip mine together with a large (fits on my hand large) carabeaner clip. (The type with the screw down lock on the clip) Makes a great set of "aluminum knuckles".

Couple of thoughts: a Monte Blanc will can run $200+ and has the sole purpose of expelling ink and showing mother of pearl. A 24k gold plated Cross set is around $75, so...

I travel cross country, about 4-6 times/year and generally have something as you describe. Cross pens are really too small in diameter to be comparable; a $6 stainless Parker from Walmart is decent, but not as durable as the BM or Lightfoot.

The Sharkie is really poorly executed; I expected better. You can rub off the Charging Woodie monogram with fine sandpaper, but the marker inside is a small sharpie. Clearly, it's a small club. May fly, may not. Kind of like putting wig-wags on your Chevy Astro, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    ...the Charging Woodie monogram...

agreed re. the Sharkie...a regular large size (the ones that are about 6" long) Sharpie from wal-mart works just as well IMO. I also really like the little rectangle-shaped Sharpies...they feel great in the hand and "thumbcapping" is comfortable.
    Attached Images
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

The aluminum defensive pens shouldn't set off any metal detectors.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Fountain pens are pretty pointy. But, the Timberline pen looks pretty good

I carry the Mil-Tac pen daily. It uses space pen refills (which is handy when working in freezers running at -40*C). When going through TSA, it is in my briefcase with my other pens and my flashlights. As soon as everything comes through the detector, the Mil-Tac goes into my chest pocket, my E2D goes in my right front pocket, and my Inova X5 goes in my left front pocket.

I would think that anyone that says this or that pen is just as good for defense as a purpose built pen has most likely never handled one.

As for aluminum not setting off the metal detectors, I wouldn't be so sure. I had a foil gum wrapper in my pocket flying out of Richmond and it set the detector off.

shades of F.Gordon Liddy in this thread...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    shades of F.Gordon Liddy in this thread...
    F. Gordon Liddy? is he related to G. Gordon Liddy?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

ooops, you're right KenpoTex...
    well the f is close to the g on the kybd. but i should have caught that, thanks.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    I'm also intrigued by the Unbreakable Umbrella. Completely innocuous item to travel with, but perfectly capable of handing out a complete set of lumps. Plus, it keeps a good 3 foot separation from your opponent.

Joe
    I've got one of those umbrellas, with the pommel handle. It's pricey, but it really is a quality umbrella and plenty sturdy and hefty enough to use in self-defense.

And now I'm looking at those ebay drug pens too.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links