Tactical Pen:Fact or Fiction

This is a discussion on Tactical Pen:Fact or Fiction within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With travel to many anti-gun countries, I have been looking for alternate SD tools for EDC. I ran across Tactical/Self-Defense/Combat Writing Pens on another Forum, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Pen:Fact or Fiction

With travel to many anti-gun countries, I have been looking for alternate SD tools for EDC.

I ran across Tactical/Self-Defense/Combat Writing Pens on another Forum, and was wondering if anyone here carries or has used anything like this.

These could work well with Kubotan techniques, and would obviously be better then the pen that you recently walked off with from your local bank.

They boast features such as "lightweight aircraft aluminum" and "fluted barrels," but does this justify the price of $70+?

Here are a few links to 3 different models I have been looking at :

Timberline LCP Combat Pen :
    TIMBERLINE LIGHT COMBAT PEN - #700

Mil-Tac Tactical Defense Pen :
    Mil-Tac Tactical Defense Pen 5.25" Black Aluminum Elishewitz Designed

Perrin Pen :
    Perrin Concepts Writing Pen

So what say you wise sages? Is this more gimmick and marketing ploys to sell a few office supplies, or a legitimate SD tool. If this seems like a useful tool, I would love to hear recommendations and why a certain model may work well over others.

Also, can anyone see any problems with TSA agents while flying, or customs agents entering/exiting borders?

Any experiences or thoughts would be very helpful.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

Administrator
    Cold Steel has the unbreakable glass reinforced plastic SHARKIE - made to look like a Sharpie marker. They are really pretty inexpensive on Ebay. Like $5.00 + Shipping.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'd be interested to see how Airport Security likes it, but it's not a bad idea for a last-ditch, take-anywhere backup weapon. I sure as heck wouldn't want it to be my primary defensive tool, if possible.

I wonder if the TSA would let you carry a pool ball in a sock? Tell them it's your lucky 8-ball, and the sock is to keep it from getting scratched?

The "combat pen" is an interesting concept, let us know what you think if you decide to order one. I'd seriously consider building one.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Let's not forget my personal favorite - sharpened #2 pencils.

Very effective at close range, easy to cary and no airport restrictions. They work equally well on BGs and the undead, too.

Administrator
    See my signature.

Any quality pen will do just fine for the job.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by UpOn2Wheels View Post
    Let's not forget my personal favorite - sharpened #2 pencils.

Very effective at close range, easy to cary and no airport restrictions. They work equally well on BGs and the undead, too.
    Shhhhhh.....don't tell TSA.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    In response to your query... yes; I believe it to be marketing hype in order to sell to all the "tacticool" crowd. And there are plenty of people willing to keep those companies in business.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

They look like pens to me.

I think you could do just as well at your local stationary store.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    .....I wonder if the TSA would let you carry a pool ball in a sock? Tell them it's your lucky 8-ball, and the sock is to keep it from getting scratched? .......
    Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    I carry a roll of quarters & a bandanna that has a pocket sewn in it....Just drop the roll into the pocket & 'swing away'....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

M&M mini's tube full of quarters and reinforced with 100mph tape. it also serves as my first aid kit for minor cuts.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Tactical pen

Just returned from 2 weeks in Europe. One week in France and one week in Italy. In my check in luggage I had a Swiss Champ and a Leatherman Wave.I carried on my person a Cold Steel City Stick with the pistol grip. I need a cane most of the time to walk and I had no funny looks from any TSA people. But in Germany,while changing flights I was a little nervous when the local TSA type person took a long look at the CSC Stick. As I limped his way he gave me back my stick and I was on my way. What my point is, with the CSC Stick a person can keep the bad guy a arms length and hopefully not have to get in close.Some training in its use is also a wise move. Good luck in finding a way to travel safely.

They look well made. They would come in handy in places where pocket knives aren't allowed. If I would have to use one, I would go for the face, neck, or head then run like hell.

A pencil in the eye...can make any criminal 'see the light'...or not see the light...you choose...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by nova83tx View Post
    With travel to many anti-gun countries, I have been looking for alternate SD tools for EDC.

I ran across Tactical/Self-Defense/Combat Writing Pens on another Forum, and was wondering if anyone here carries or has used anything like this.

These could work well with Kubotan techniques, and would obviously be better then the pen that you recently walked off with from your local bank.

They boast features such as "lightweight aircraft aluminum" and "fluted barrels," but does this justify the price of $70+?

...So what say you wise sages? Is this more gimmick and marketing ploys to sell a few office supplies, or a legitimate SD tool. If this seems like a useful tool, I would love to hear recommendations and why a certain model may work well over others.

Also, can anyone see any problems with TSA agents while flying, or customs agents entering/exiting borders?

Any experiences or thoughts would be very helpful.
    Several members on another forum have carried similar devices while flying without any problem.

As far as whether it's a viable tool...

As you said, it will definately do a better job of stabbing/striking than the "10 for $1" Bic pens you buy at Wal-mart. Would a cheap pen work, certainly. However stabbing someone with a pencil or cheap plastic pen will probably be a one shot deal since I'm sure it would break under that kind of use (I break the stupid things just from having them in my pocket...)

A stout pen is definately a great tool to have available. I carry one regardless of whether I can carry other tools or not. Clipped to a shirt pocket, it would be very fast to get into action if you are attacked and it attracks absolutely zero attention.

If you want a cheap option, go to E-bay and search for "metal pens" and pick through the results 'till you find a good deal. A couple of months ago I got 5 of those heavy metal-bodied "drug rep" pens for like $3.

I do like the Lightfoot design that you linked to, if I was going to buy one, I think that'd be it. I guess the just boils down to whether or not you feel that there is enough benefit to this tool to justify the cost.

oh, and if you want the "Mont Blanc" of the tactical pen world, take a look at this one Hinderer Extreme
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I liked the Sharkie idea myself. Though I would prefer a Highlighting marker over the black. The Hinderer extreme is a nice concept... for $240+...
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links