Opinions on CRKT 'Ringer'?

This is a discussion on Opinions on CRKT 'Ringer'? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in a tool for general knife stuff as well as backup (backup-backup?), and I am trying to live frugally so I can ...

Thread: Opinions on CRKT 'Ringer'?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Opinions on CRKT 'Ringer'?

I am interested in a tool for general knife stuff as well as backup (backup-backup?), and I am trying to live frugally so I can buy my wife a G19 for her birthday. I have been told that a knife with a finger-hole is a great idea so it doesn't twist or get dropped.

The HAK are cute, and probably extremely effective, but there are several well-developed threads already in the archives(for example, Hide Away Knife- New Addition). I would like one, but the price kind of dampens my ardor.

What do you folks think of these styles? For $22-27, might one if these be a good choice?

(from Knives Product 4)
    Note: I have huge hands and no training (yet), if that makes a difference.

2. Remove Ads

I like the middle one, sort of, because it's karambit-like; however, to do the control techniques possible with a karambit, one would need a full-size handle for the required leverage.

I'd have to reserve judgment until I've handled one for myself.

-JT

I think I like a push knife better than a finger hole style. Those holes look painful somehow.

Administrator
    I'm thinking it would be a great way to break some fingers... but I'm not a knife guy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Looking at that, it seems to me that you might have a problem "indexing" the fingers in the holes under stress. The LaGriffe and the HAK only have one hole to worry about, with this one, you've got twice as much to accomplish.

If the cost of the other two I mentioned (HAK & LaGriffe) is more than you want to spend right now, I'd recommend the Ka-Bar TDI. They can be had for $30 or less and give you a much better (IMO) knife.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I've considered getting a ringer in the past for the same reasons mentioned. I wanted something that I could have completely tucked behind my waistband that I could easily grasp without looking (or cutting myself). I really like the HAK's different concealment options and figured those could carry over to the ringer in some way. I also liked the price of the ringer vs. the HAK. Never did pull the trigger and get one though. I've stuck with folders. A TDI may be in the future though...
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

If you get a TDI, you might want to check out On/Scene Tactical's Multi-Carry sheath. He also has one available for the La Griffe.
    Last edited by strider72; April 13th, 2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Ooops forgot something
    Glock 19/FEG/FM HiPowers/Keltec P32 for me. When I can't use my 870,N98 or Marlin .30-30 of course...

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I've never handled one, although pricewise it seems like a good deal, & I do like knives with a finger hole in them. However, "KenpoTex" made some very good points. There're 2 holes instead of one, that can be a problem in a high stress situation. Also, there're some very good knives that I'd probably get before getting a Ringer. The least expensive one would be the TDI. The Emerson La Griffe & HAK's utility model are both close in price, & Spyderco's SPOT. I have all the listed knives, except the Ringer & La Griffe. I used to have the La Griffe, but prefer Spyderco's SPOT to it, mainly because of their "regular" blade vs Emerson's chisel grind, which I'm not a fan of. The Spyderco SPOTs are discontinued, though, so they're going up in price.

While I really like my utility HAK (440C straight edge), Ka-Bar's TDI is very good too & probably easier to use in a crisis, plus its blade is a bit larger & probably more useful.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I too like the push dagger types from Cold Steel, but alas they are illegal to carry where I live.

I vote for a spring assist something, maybe a trip to WalMart and the sporting goods area is in the makings. Maybe a Kershaw ... works for me for about $45.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I'm not a personal fan of ringers......I know it's subjective, but they're just a little too "tacticool" for my taste, especially if it's primary use is as a daily use knife.

I'd lean a little more towards something like a Spyderco Delica. Bulletproof, relatively non-threatening, great utility, but still very fast/easy to open and a good last resort sd blade.

Should be able to find one for $50 or so with minimal effort.

My .02 worth.

i have a tdi and an hak,i like the hak much better.its almost impossible to drop.and i can get great leverage out of it when needed.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I'm not sure if the original poster was meaning to carry it as his EDC & use knife. It makes a great secondary (Or in my case, at times, a 3rd knife) & can be handy for a "specealized" use.

I also agree that a simple (Or even a good A/O) is a better EDC/U knife.

Having said that, if you're only going to use it as a last ditch knife, it'll work fine. If, by chance, you need to use more on a daily basis, yeah it's not that great & sure will open people's eyes (Good or bad).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    On reflection, I agree that passing this off as "just for opening boxes" might be a bit difficult. Saving for a less tacticool version...

Links