Opinions on the CRKT M16-10KZ

This is a discussion on Opinions on the CRKT M16-10KZ within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to hear from those who own the said knife, but also anyone else who knows somthing about it. I understand that it is ...

Thread: Opinions on the CRKT M16-10KZ

I'd like to hear from those who own the said knife, but also anyone else who knows somthing about it. I understand that it is the Zytel counterpart to the M16 EDC series.

I ask because my current knife is getting pretty beat and it's a lock-back. This issue raised it's ugly head as I was using the knife over the week end when, several times the lock was inadvertantly overcome due to my grip on the knife and the blade started to close(Didn't get cut but it was a little too close for comfort). This is the first time it's happened to me, but I haven't been using the knife very long(it's a cheapo Frost that my father in-law gave me and I thought I'd give it a whirl). I've been on a hunt for a quality low cost folder and came across the CRKT M16 EDC series. I got to handle one yesterday at my local wally world and it seemed sold, operated well and I like the locking mechanisms and the size/weight. The Carson Flipper would take a little gettin used to but it seems neat. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Oh price was 21.99 on the knife. Good deal?
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

I can't speak for that exact model, but I have a CKRT M16-14 that I carry as my field folder. Its a sturdy well made knife that can take a beating and still do its job.

The AUTOLAWKS feature turns some people off of CKRT's, so play with on if you can and see what you think. Mine has the locking device but doesn't automatically come on.

The carson flipper is fast (not the fastest non-auto folder i have, but still fast), and you can play around with the screw holding the blade in and get it tight or loose which varies the force you need to open it.

for roughly 20 bucks, that model should serve you just fine.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I've heard good things about the CRKT M16 line -- but only those available in AUS-8 steel. I believe the cheaper zytel counterparts are made of AUS-4, which is pretty soft steel -- kinda like 420 series steel. If I were you, I'd check up on the Spyderco Byrd series. Most are less than $25, have decent steel, come hair-raising sharp out the box, and look cool two. I have a Byrd Cara Cara and a Byrd Meadowlark. They are my EDC work knives.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLrrp View Post
    I've heard good things about the CRKT M16 line -- but only those available in AUS-8 steel. I believe the cheaper zytel counterparts are made of AUS-4, which is pretty soft steel -- kinda like 420 series steel. If I were you, I'd check up on the Spyderco Byrd series. Most are less than $25, have decent steel, come hair-raising sharp out the box, and look cool two. I have a Byrd Cara Cara and a Byrd Meadowlark. They are my EDC work knives.
    Thanks for the heads up on the blade steel. I took a look at the Spyderco line and really like the look and steel in the Byrd Raven. Might have to grab one of those. Glad I asked!!
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bline View Post
    I'd like to hear from those who own the said knife, but also anyone else who knows somthing about it. I understand that it is the Zytel counterpart to the M16 EDC series.

I ask because my current knife is getting pretty beat and it's a lock-back. This issue raised it's ugly head as I was using the knife over the week end when, several times the lock was inadvertantly overcome due to my grip on the knife and the blade started to close(Didn't get cut but it was a little too close for comfort). This is the first time it's happened to me, but I haven't been using the knife very long(it's a cheapo Frost that my father in-law gave me and I thought I'd give it a whirl). I've been on a hunt for a quality low cost folder and came across the CRKT M16 EDC series. I got to handle one yesterday at my local wally world and it seemed sold, operated well and I like the locking mechanisms and the size/weight. The Carson Flipper would take a little gettin used to but it seems neat. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Oh price was 21.99 on the knife. Good deal?
    I've got one and plan on making it my one of my EDC knifes when I move. When I first got it I needed to adjust the blade screw in order to get the flipper to work the way I wanted, but know I've done this it opens very easily. The only complaint I have about the knife is the clip it catches when I try to draw it quickly and so far I have been unable to remove it with any screwdriver I own(open to suggestions on removal).

Administrator
    Its a 20 dollar knife made by machines or people from materials that will still allow CKRT to still make a nice profit on your $20.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    You'd be better off going with the Kershaw Blur. It is 100 times the knife that the M16 is. Wal-Mart sells it as well. The M16 is "ok", but is probably CRKT's cheapest knife (not to knock on their other knives. I have some and love them). It gets dull really fast and is not ideal for anything but everyday cutting tasks.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I didn't think I would be very happy with it, only buying one to hold me over between 'good' knives. Instead, I now carry and use it everyday, and have bought a second just because they are cheap enough that I can without having to budget for it.

If you are buying a knife for function rather than fashion, you will be very happy with it.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I carry a m16-kz... It stays razor sharp, and is used way to much. I could carry a nicer knife, but if my $20 knife drops into the lake, I'm not gonna flip out as oposed to if I dropped a $80 knife...
    "If you don't have any guns and someone breaks in, what are you going to shoot them with?"
    -Dale Gribble.

Where do bad folks go when they die. They don't go to heaven where the angels fly. Go to a lake of fire and fry, see them again 'till the Fourth of July

I like mine. I use it a lot at work for cutting open boxes and just around the house for simple stuff. It is a VERY sharp knife and I have actually cut myself trying to close it with the AutoLawks system. After getting used to it, the knife is very easy to close.

I got mine off EBAY for 15 dollars shipped to my door. For that much I could buy one of these knives every month and not be mad if I lost it.

I also got a Mini My Tighe which I LOVE!! Assisted opening knife with a wicked looking blade. I carry this with my .40.

Sponsored Links