Microtech...

Microtech...

This is a discussion on Microtech... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been in love with the auto microtechs for years now but just can not seem to pony up the $$$ for them. Anyone ...

Thread: Microtech...

Microtech...

So I've been in love with the auto microtechs for years now but just can not seem to pony up the $$$ for them.

Anyone have one? What are your thoughts, are they worth it?

They're not really 'legal' to carry here in CO, but it'd be something fun to show someone in your home.

An old friend of mine had one, but he lost it in the sand box. I put the blade through my hand when I was like 'wth is this'.. since then, i've been in love..
    Last edited by JD; May 2nd, 2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Corrected language work around.

Quote Originally Posted by monky View Post
    So I've been in love with the auto microtechs for years now but just can not seem to pony up the $$$ for them.

Anyone have one? What are your thoughts, are they worth it?

They're not really 'legal' to carry here in CO, but it'd be something fun to show someone in your home.

An old friend of mine had one, but he lost it in the sand box. I put the blade through my hand when I was like 'wth is this'.. since then, i've been in love..
    Let me make sure I've got this right.....

They're expensive, you can't carry one legally, and the last time you handled one you "put the blade through your hand".........and you want one?

To answer your question though, yes, if you need/want an auto, they're very good. Auto knives certainly qualify under the heading of "you get what you pay for". You might also consider a ProTech, or if you don't have to have an OTF, the Severtech is prob the most bulletproof auto out there.

Severtech Switchblade Knives
    Last edited by JD; May 2nd, 2008 at 07:38 PM.

monky, it an "iffy" subject. Really, if I was getting another user MT, it would be a HALO III. The DAs are cool, but can be finiky, and may not deal well with being dropped. The side-openers are nice, but unless you get the Terzuola, Lightfoot(can be problematic, since they are out of production, and older knives may have excessively worn sears), LUDT or SOCOM, you aren't getting anything very unique. The new Currahee is like Wilson's knives- overpriced for a production piece of bar stock.

Basically, IMHO, the HALOs are the only ones worth the money; the folders can't do anything a waved Spyderco can't do at 1/3 or less the money, with comparable fit and finish.

I had a SOG. I had it in my pocket a lot around the house and I kept hitting the button and it opened up in my pocket enough to scare me. They are good knives, but they are not legal to carry in most states. Honestly, you can buy a good knife for around $100 or less.
    Brian K. LaMaster
    President, Innovative Tactical Concepts, LLC
    Instructor, Counter Force International
    http://www.right2defend.com
    http://www.modernwarriortalk.com

Microtech

An Ultratech II is one of my favorite working knives. I normally carry an auto of some type, but this one is the most common. I carry it at work and it gets beat up and dirty and still operates fine. I've got it in my pocket right now. Also gets points for "gee whiz" factor (is there such a thing as a BBQ knife?)

If you like it and want to spend your money on it, go for it.

If I were to get one, it'd probably be either the Halo or the MOD CQD (or whatever it's called).

For SD, I don't really see any advantage to having an auto as opposed to other designs. However, if you want one, get it.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Sponsored Links