Colorado Automatic Knife Laws

This is a discussion on Colorado Automatic Knife Laws within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Automatic Knives are illegal in the state of Colorado. About a month or so ago, I wrote to my state reps and complained. Besides the ...

Thread: Colorado Automatic Knife Laws

Colorado Automatic Knife Laws

Automatic Knives are illegal in the state of Colorado. About a month or so ago, I wrote to my state reps and complained. Besides the obvious utility of an automatic and just the pure silliness of the law, I explained that it was a bit odd that I could carry a concealed gun, but not a 3.5-inch custom, hand forged, work-of-art knife. (I sent him a picture of a knife like this one, that is illegal in Colorado: Artisan Knives - Rick Dunkerley. ).

I received a reply tonight from Andy Kerr's office asking for more information, with an indication that he may be willing to introduce updated legislation next term.

I'll post information on how this progresses as things unfold. There will come a time when Colorado folks may need to chime in with their reps for support.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Eliminating, or at least increasing, the 3.5 inch blade length limit would be excellent.

Except for the auto ban and blade length, the CO knife laws are pretty good--for instance, fixed blade knives are legal to conceal if within the 3.5 inch limit. A lot of states prohibit fixed blade carry.

You might also want to check with your county sheriff dept.
    I am not familiar with Colorado knife laws, but here in MT
    if you write a letter to your sheriff stating that you are a bonafide collector
    you will get a letter exempting you from the law that forbids automatic carry.
    I took mine and reduced it and put on the back of my carry permit. I also keep a copy with my registration in my truck.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Here in Oklahoma I used to carry a Benchmade and a GT Automatic. The GT was always my favorite but when I got my CCW I quit carrying them. Went to a one handed Benchmade that opens just as fast as my automatics. I just didn't want to jeopardize my CCW license. If you get Colorado to approve your carrying an automatic, look at the GT line. They build Automatics for folks that use them for a living like police, and emergency services personal.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
    You might also want to check with your county sheriff dept.
    I am not familiar with Colorado knife laws, but here in MT
    if you write a letter to your sheriff stating that you are a bonafide collector
    you will get a letter exempting you from the law that forbids automatic carry.
    I took mine and reduced it and put on the back of my carry permit. I also keep a copy with my registration in my truck.
    I atually did go to the Jefferson County Sherriff. They told me that they have no permit or anything equivelant for knives for any reason whatsoever. I even went to the state Attorneys office and asked, same response.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

cj
    I thought that was fairly funky as well...it's ok to carry a pistol with a permit, but not the knife? Even California allows automatic knives...yes, only up to a 2-inch blade, but even that was so darn useful when I lived there.

Links