Knife laws in Hawaii

Knife laws in Hawaii

This is a discussion on Knife laws in Hawaii within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going on Vacation in Hawaii. I need to know if I can carry a fixed blade (KaBar TDI) and a folder (Spyderco). Does anyone know ...

Thread: Knife laws in Hawaii

Senior Moderator

Question Knife laws in Hawaii

Going on Vacation in Hawaii. I need to know if I can carry a fixed blade (KaBar TDI) and a folder (Spyderco).

Does anyone know if these can be carried?
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Umm, I believe it has to be a folder with a length of under 3 inches, I know I heard that in a brief after I got here, lemme see if I can find more.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Going on Vacation in Hawaii. I need to know if I can carry a fixed blade (KaBar TDI) and a folder (Spyderco).

Does anyone know if these can be carried?
    It appears it's not legal at all. The law can be found here: http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/hi.txt

Interestingly, Case Law indicates that a Divers Knife is not included. That would be a fixed blade knife. Pocket knives are *probably* exempt, since they've specifically said that a deadly weapon is a knife specifically designed to be a deadly weapon. But unlike other states (like mine) they don't specify a blade length.

Here's a divers knife: Amazon.com: U.S. Divers Titanium 5-Inch Diving Knife: Sports & Outdoors

Although according to Case law, that knife would be legal... it might be questionable if you were wearing a suit and tie while carrying it. But it appears the ruling was that "diving knives are not deadly weapons".. The law seems purposefully convoluted. I would carry a pocket knife there, but probably not a fixed blade.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks,

I have a divers knife but only plann on carrying it when we do some ocean kayaking and snorkeling.

I'll leave the KaBar at home and just carry my Spyderco.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Yup, forgot about divers knives, they are good to go, although doesn't really work in town.

I carry a pocket knife just about everywhere out here? Which island ya goin too? Some good beaches out here for snorkeling/spear fishing.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    Going to the Big Island for 2 weeks.

Going to do a little kayaking, and snorkeling and a lot of hiking.

We are taking our son so most things have to be baby friendly. I can carry him in the backpack most places (Wapoo (sp?) Valley) and am going to have a walking stick. My Brother and sister-in-law are going too. The are going to watch our lttle guy while we go kayaking

Ahh the big island, hope I never have to go there again (but I will of course). Its not bad, unless you are doing attacks over lava rocks.

Right now as I'm sure you know it has the lava flow, and there are black sand beaches. The interior has some mountains too, although you need a permit to hike them (make sure you look into that if thats what you are thinking of. Parts of Pohakalua training area look like mars and are really cool with the lava formations and stuff. I'm not sure how civilian accessable some of the area are, but the main road runs right through the area. Hilo and Kona have pretty good beaches too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Sponsored Links