TDI Kabar

This is a discussion on TDI Kabar within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone carried the TDI modle Ka-bar? I just picked one up and love it!!!...

Thread: TDI Kabar

TDI Kabar

Anyone carried the TDI modle Ka-bar? I just picked one up and love it!!!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Lots of people do! And since its a buckeye product, its pretty darn good. Make sure you take the course to learn how to use it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I carry one. Recommended it to a girl friend and now she carries one as well. We are planning on going together someday to take the class by the guy who made it.

I love my KaBar. My husband (JD) also has one and carries it.

Is there a thread/link/site on the special use of a KaBar? How is a KaBar different from the use of a regular knife?

(Forgive my lack of knowledge...I'm an old man...)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Looks nice but it's a reverse grip only, right? I prefer the ability to fight at a distance if possible. But, I'm still carrying an old school 'police model'.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Is there a thread/link/site on the special use of a KaBar? How is a KaBar different from the use of a regular knife?

(Forgive my lack of knowledge...I'm an old man...)
    It's a natural grip, similar to grabbing a gun. Also, just the sheath has to set-up differently, but it's easy to set-up for either hand (Ideal for LE & people that find themselves in the possibility of needing a weapon for their "weak" hand).

The angle of the handle to blade & how you draw the knife lends itself to gross motor skills very well, which is needed in a possible situation needing that knife. While small knives with a finger hole in them is nice for indexing, it "can" be a problem in a true SHTF situation & can make for difficulty getting the knife out.

Obviously, training & follow-up training so your skills don't erode, is important, but Mr. Murphy being the way he is, you never know & a gun grip on a knife "should" be VERY easy & simple for most of us on this Forum to easily do.

Hope that helps.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Aquaholic, the TDI is a cool piece. There have been a number of threads on these in the past if you do a search.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Looks nice but it's a reverse grip only, right? I prefer the ability to fight at a distance if possible. But, I'm still carrying an old school 'police model'.
    It works well in either forward or reverse grip. In forward grip you can slash as you would with any other knife, or punch in much the same manner as you would use a push-dagger. In reverse grip, once again, you can slash or use it in a "thrusting hammerfist" type motion.
    testing it on phonebooks has yielded pretty good results with both grip styles. It's very secure in the hand on hard thrusts regardless of the grip used.

I wouldn't give up your conventional folders but the TDI makes a great "weakhand" blade because it's so intuitive to use.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Thanks Kenpo,
    Can you transition grip, or are you dedicated? Maybe it's time I take a trip to my local cutlery shop... it's been 10 years since I bought a knife.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I carry one also and wouldn't trade it for the world.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛAB

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Ooh, I want one. I'll be picking one up at the next gunshow in two weeks. What do you guys (gals) recommend? Little one or big one?
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Thanks Kenpo,
    Can you transition grip, or are you dedicated? Maybe it's time I take a trip to my local cutlery shop... it's been 10 years since I bought a knife.
    When I carry mine (not all that often as I usually carry a push-dagger as my "weak hand" knife), I carry it set up for reverse-grip. This is just my personal preference based on the method I typically use for knife work.

Look online, you should be able to find a small one for around $25-30. The low price, and the fact that they make a trainer for about the same price is one of my favorite things about this knife.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

It is also handy from the pocket, carrying well there due to its shape, though it will require custom kydex.
    God, country, family.

I have one set up on my flak jacket as a last ditch back-up. It's a fine knife, need to take the class sometime, but I'm stuck in Hawaii for now.

It's currently set up for a reverse grip since in that close I'd just be pounding away with a fist anyways, so I'd use it to "bulldog" my opponent.

I prefer the larger version, but then again, I don't carry it for defense in a civilian purpose, and I'm not really worried about concealment.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I would love to have one if it wasn't illegal in Kansas. No fixed blade carry.

I carry mine everyday when I am on shift. I love it.

Mil--I have the small full serated (sp) version. Fits with my other gear better. And if I have to use it to cut seatbelts at work I can; I am a paramedic. I still carry my very non-tactical-but-extremely-sharp folder and my leatherman wave, though.
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    --Thomas Paine December 19, 1776

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
    --Abraham Lincoln

http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13226.htm

Links