5.11 first responder -- any opinions?

This is a discussion on 5.11 first responder -- any opinions? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello! Does anyone have any experience and opinions about the 5.11 first responder? 5.11 First Responder Tactical Knife - Spear Blade This knife has been ...

Thread: 5.11 first responder -- any opinions?

Hello!

Does anyone have any experience and opinions about the 5.11 first responder?

5.11 First Responder Tactical Knife - Spear Blade

This knife has been around for a while but I haven't been able to find a review.

s30v blade, g-10 handle, and a frame-lock...sounds like a decent knife.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I like their solution to liner placement- just make it as wide as the blade and swing it over to the opposite liner! Seems sold enough. I'd want to handle one. If the liner jimping is too high, I'd Dremel it down, otherwise it looks good.

Amok Hodges has a Youtube vid on liner modificatio to fail-proof one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    I like their solution to liner placement- just make it as wide as the blade and swing it over to the opposite liner! Seems sold enough. I'd want to handle one. If the liner jimping is too high, I'd Dremel it down, otherwise it looks good.
    I noticed that as well. I wish some of the other manufacturers would adopt this design...it would certainly make looking for knives easier.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

i ordered one from knifeworks.com. their price is about $20 less than other online sellers and their service is top notch. i'll post pictures and comments when it arrives.

Wow! I ordered this from knifeworks late Tuesday and the it was on my door step today (Friday).

My first impressions: Beautiful, very well made, excellent ergonomics, and very well thought out design.

Things I like: Many belt clip mounting options -- will accommodate lefties. The large, grippy G10 handle. Tough S30V steel. SOLID liner lock that engages positively and doesn't allow for blade wiggle at all.

I'm not a knife expert but I've fondled quite a few high-end knives and, IMHO, the first responder gives a similar impression of quality that you get from knives over three times the price.

It isn't an assisted opener like my kershaw knives (leek and whirlwind) so I'm still getting used to opening it. It is also a little larger than I'm used to carrying.

This is a beautiful knife and for about $110 (that is with shipping) and a three day turn around, this I one of the better deals I've gotten in a long time. I'm very happy with the knife and knifeworks.

I pulled an all nighter last night so pics and more details tomorrow.
    Last edited by CharlieMike; April 26th, 2008 at 11:19 AM.

I've ordered from knifeworks before, they're GTG.

Sounds like a decent knife, glad you like it.

Matt K.

Sponsored Links