spyderco cricket/small folder adviced needed

This is a discussion on spyderco cricket/small folder adviced needed within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i'm looking at the spyderco cricket (non-serrated); is the "s" blade on that going to be a pain to sharpen? Any suggestions for something different? ...

Thread: spyderco cricket/small folder adviced needed

i'm looking at the spyderco cricket (non-serrated); is the "s" blade on that going to be a pain to sharpen?

Any suggestions for something different? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money ($50-$100). i wear dress pants everyday, and am looking at the cricket as a light, thin utility/SD knife. I don't want anything big; it's not my first line of defense, and if it's too heavy, I'll wind up not carrying it. I've never been big on serrated blades...

Anyway, this is my first post on this forum. Any good advice would be appreciated. There seem to be folks on here with a lot more knowledge than me...

Do they make a small folder with the wave?
    Last edited by phoenix8; April 23rd, 2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: addition

As far as I am aware the smallest knife spyderco makes with a wave is their Delica, which has a 3 inch blade.

What is your definition of a small knife? Does it have to be under 2 inches? Also with your attire is it appropriate to have a knife clipped on your pocket, because if not the wave won't do you much good anyways. Are you planning on clipped pocket carry, in the pocket carry, or something else (like clipped on your waistband or something?

The Delica with the wave is great and in your price range (I got one new for like $50), and doesn't really weigh much as all. According to spyderco is it 2.5 ounces as oppossed to the cricket with 1.75 ounces, under and ounce difference. When I don't want to carry my big CKRT M-16 14 (4 inch blade and kind of heavy), I opt for the delica.

The Boker Subcom is something else to consider if you need a small blade, but about 3 inches is the smallest I tend to carry.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Hmmm...I would say the Cricket is in the same SD category as my Perrin money clip-something to distract until you grab a real weapon, nor is it as efficient as the Perrin since the Perrin is a fixed blade. I would second the waved Delica. It's only slightly larger than the Cricket, and much more usable.

Ditto what these guys said...I'd go with the Delica.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Spyderco cricket

The cricket is a small light weight knife. As you said,if its too heavey you may not carry it. Personally,I would go with the serrated blade as it is the most agressive cutter compared to the straight edge. The cutting egde of the curved blade has more cutting surface than a straight edge, so why not make the most of it.Then I would NOT cut anything with it,but save the edge for when you really need it. The cricket's blade tip may be damaged if used like a everyday carry knife.A small one bladed folder can be used for cutting string,opening boxes,but save the egde on the cricket. The curved edge can be sharpened using Spyderco's sharpening kit. I carry a Spyderco Matriarch (smaller than a Civilian) in my left front pocket. Have had it for years and has never been used to cut anything. You might say its a virgin. If and when its drawn, I know that the edge can and will cut to the bone. My 2 cents.

Well, sure the cricket is a small blade, and unfortunately "Spyderco Cricket" doesn't strike the same chord as the "Spyderco Spiked Claymore of Death", but I'm not ready to laugh it off. I've seen several pictures of nasty damage done in prisons by guys wielding a quarter inch of disposable razor blade sticking out from the end of a toothbrush... And even with a blade under two inches, I'm thinking just a 3/4" deep slash from nipple to nipple would give somebody something to think about.

That being said, I do apprecitate the input. Buckeye - in answer to your questions - I teach high school. Unfortunately, Texas legislature has yet to okay me carrying my licensed concealed handgun to work (are there more shootings going on in non-military/LEO professions?) So I'm looking to carry the knife at work, and it probably will have to reside in my pocket. When I'm away from the school, I'll clip it. So if I'm wearing basically suit pants to work, I really want something thin and light in my pocket. I'm not tied to the blade being under a certain size as much as I am the whole thing not feeling like a brick in my pocket in terms of weight and volume. Now it will be an every day knife, I'll maintain it well and keep it damn sharp, but I'll use it on strings and packages and the occasional unfortunate apple. Hopefully I won't ever have to use it on human flesh, but it's there for that, too.

Well, the Spyderco Ladybug is thier smallest and lightest knife, designed to be on a keychain.

You can do plenty of damage with a 2 inch blade, but my policy is carry the biggest I can legally/practically, thankfully in my line of work that includes a Ka-bar.

Look at the Subcom too, also new graham knives usually has good deals and are good to work with.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Dear God - The Ladybug? Are they trying to make this hard for a man with any self respect to carry? Coming next fall - The Spyderco Fairy Princess.

Thanks for those leads; I'll look them up.

Also possibly things to look into
    Kershaw Chive, I'm not big on Kershaws, had one get ruined by just being in the field, but a lot of people swear by them.

Gerber mini-covert

Spydeco Salsa or Dragonfly.

Also, I don't know the Texas laws on knives, or knives in schools, but generally a knife that doesn't look "tactical" (black "hi-speed" with a "mean" name what have you ), doesn't tend to draw as much attention when used for tasks. If you pull out a wood or antler handled knife that looks like something my grandpa would of used to whittle, no one usually gives it a second glance. The downside to such knives is usually that they are more difficult to open with one hand quickly. just a though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

If you want something lightweight that still big enough to get the job done (and for some reason don't like the Delica), Check out the Spyderco Centofante 4. I handled one the other day and was actually surprised at how light it was. It's pretty classy looking and really feels nice in the hand.

You might also look at the Benchmade Griptilian or Mini-Griptilian and the Medium Cold Steel Voyager. Stay away from Kershaw and anything with a liner-lock.

I personally wouldn't carry anything with a blade much under 2.5-3 inches. I want enough length to easily reach the vitals with a thrust as I'm not a big believer in slashing as a primary technique...at least with small knives.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix8 View Post
    i'm looking at the spyderco cricket (non-serrated); is the "s" blade on that going to be a pain to sharpen?

Any suggestions for something different? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money ($50-$100). i wear dress pants everyday, and am looking at the cricket as a light, thin utility/SD knife. I don't want anything big; it's not my first line of defense, and if it's too heavy, I'll wind up not carrying it. I've never been big on serrated blades...

Anyway, this is my first post on this forum. Any good advice would be appreciated. There seem to be folks on here with a lot more knowledge than me...

Do they make a small folder with the wave?

First of all, welcome to the Forum!

In response to your first question, yes, given the blade profile, the knife will be much more difficult to sharpen.

I'm a big Delica fan too, and also prefer a straight blade unless I'm on a boat (serrated is better for cutting line). I have two and have carried one or the other every day since they were first introduced back in the mid 90's......note the first generation integrated clips.

Small and light, but the 3" blade is big enough to handle any cutting job you might have and to function in a self-defense role if it came down to it. The Delica is available with a wave if you have to have it (I'm not a fan of waves, but that's a personal preference).

Well, sure the cricket is a small blade, and unfortunately "Spyderco Cricket" doesn't strike the same chord as the "Spyderco Spiked Claymore of Death", but I'm not ready to laugh it off. I've seen several pictures of nasty damage done in prisons by guys wielding a quarter inch of disposable razor blade sticking out from the end of a toothbrush... And even with a blade under two inches, I'm thinking just a 3/4" deep slash from nipple to nipple would give somebody something to think about.
    It is your choice, but: I've worked on people who have been stabbed and slashed, and I've worked Corrections. You have three things to work with/overcome.

Opening a folder under duress. Is hard. It is much, MUCH harder with a handle that does not allow a full grip. It would really stink to slice the pad of one's thumb off while Mongo is busily beating on one. The idea of opening a folder pre-emptively is optimal, but very unlikely.

Yes, shanks can kill, however: if the intent is to kill, the shank will usually be at least 3", be capable of being held in a closed fist with that amount of blade exposed, and the victim is stabbed repeatedly. Slashing makes people bleed, and is a psychological weapon, but is rarely fatal.

You need a handle to hold onto. Slashing with a Matriarch or Civilian (comparable blade styles to the Crocket) is far different. The user has full advantage of leverage. The Cricket offers, at best, a 1 1/2-2 finger grip on a small, smooth, round handle. If bloody (and it will be bloody after immediate penetration) it will be exceedingly slick. A comparable reality-check would be to take a plain flatware teaspoon, dip your thumb, index, and middle fingers in cooking oil, then "slash" a packaged roast off your kitchen counter. If you are able to maintain sufficient grip that you can sweep a 1-2 pound roast off the counter, without the spoon slipping, the Cricket would work... Bear in mind also, your reaction will also be to choke up on the blade, and the Cricket is half blade with no guard. IOW, regardless of your will to fight, regardless of what you do, you won't be retaining the Cricket.

We aren't saying you need the "Talon of Death," but we wouldn't suggest you change a tire with your 1/4" rive wratchet either. A Benchmade "defensive pen" or similar koppo stick would be a far more effective choice. Equally, the Delica is economical and relatively benign. The Scorpious is another nice, modest Spydie in stainless.

Spydrco cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    It is your choice, but: I've worked on people who have been stabbed and slashed, and I've worked Corrections. You have three things to work with/overcome.

Opening a folder under duress. Is hard. It is much, MUCH harder with a handle that does not allow a full grip. It would really stink to slice the pad of one's thumb off while Mongo is busily beating on one. The idea of opening a folder pre-emptively is optimal, but very unlikely.

Yes, shanks can kill, however: if the intent is to kill, the shank will usually be at least 3", be capable of being held in a closed fist with that amount of blade exposed, and the victim is stabbed repeatedly. Slashing makes people bleed, and is a psychological weapon, but is rarely fatal.

You need a handle to hold onto. Slashing with a Matriarch or Civilian (comparable blade styles to the Crocket) is far different. The user has full advantage of leverage. The Cricket offers, at best, a 1 1/2-2 finger grip on a small, smooth, round handle. If bloody (and it will be bloody after immediate penetration) it will be exceedingly slick. A comparable reality-check would be to take a plain flatware teaspoon, dip your thumb, index, and middle fingers in cooking oil, then "slash" a packaged roast off your kitchen counter. If you are able to maintain sufficient grip that you can sweep a 1-2 pound roast off the counter, without the spoon slipping, the Cricket would work... Bear in mind also, your reaction will also be to choke up on the blade, and the Cricket is half blade with no guard. IOW, regardless of your will to fight, regardless of what you do, you won't be retaining the Cricket.

We aren't saying you need the "Talon of Death," but we wouldn't suggest you change a tire with your 1/4" rive wratchet either. A Benchmade "defensive pen" or similar koppo stick would be a far more effective choice. Equally, the Delica is economical and relatively benign. The Scorpious is another nice, modest Spydie in stainless.

Bravo --Rob72,well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post

great input. gives me several things to think about. all you guys - thanks.

so i went to walmart last night just to hold/pocket several knives of different sizes. kershaw's scallion was a good size for what i'm looking for. the blade was 2.5" and the knife was 6" open. kershaw seems to be getting mixed reviews from you guys? I liked the assisted open on the scallion; probably can't make use of the wave on a spyderco without advertising that i'm carrying a knife.

As far as the legality - Not much of a problem here. I'm in rural Texas; lots of people carry clipped knives. These boys I teach get up early and go hunting before school; most have knives on them with nobody making a big deal. At least one of my principals carries one in his pocket. I'm okay to carry a pocket knife, probably not a clip.

I'm okay to carry a pocket knife, probably not a clip.
    Consider also the issues of access and deployment. A knife that's down in your pocket will be pretty much worthless if you have to try to access it under stress or in any position other than standing still (put something down in your pocket and try to access it while moving, rolling on the floor, etc.). If you can't clip it to your pocket, clip it to your waistband at about the 1:00 position and blouse your shirt over it slightly...it will be all but invisible when concealed by your belt and shirt.

Matt K.

Sponsored Links