Why are Tactical/Defense Knives so Expen$ive??

This is a discussion on Why are Tactical/Defense Knives so Expen$ive?? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; + 1 on what Rob72 said, you can get a number of good knives from Spyderco, CRKT, Gerber and Kershaw just to name a few, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are Tactical/Defense Knives so Expen$ive??

+ 1 on what Rob72 said, you can get a number of good knives from Spyderco, CRKT, Gerber and Kershaw just to name a few, for $50 - $100. Remember, use a Leatherman for a tool kit and not your defensive knife.
    God bless our troops!

2. Remove Ads

I ordered a SOG Flash II serrated spring assist

I am a real tight wad, trying to put 2 kids through college. I found the subject knife on ebay, new for $30..

I have an Emerson Commander that I have beat to pieces. The blade is all nicked up, black finish is half gone, etc. I have no doubt that a lot of the price of the knife was because it said "Emerson" on the blade - but it has still been a tough tool.
    When I decided that the blade had been through enough abuse was about the same time I started reading about big folders, so I put the Emerson away and got a Cold Steel Voyager X2. Finish and detals are nothing like the Emerson, nor did I expect that. The Cold Steel so far, though, is every bit as tough and I have found it even more useful with its 6" blade. I'm really impressed with it.
    I think it just depends on whether you're willing to spend more to get (some) better quality and (some) "name recognition." I do think, though, that those folders under $10 floating around would best be avoided.

Sometimes, I think companies just up the price just because they put 'Tactical' in the product's name, and maybe gave it a black paint job/coating.

In the case of firearms, also add an accessory rail.

-JT

For some brands, yes, you're only paying for the name (Emerson comes to mind). Some of you seem to be putting Benchmade and Spyderco in that group, which is not a fair assessment. Spyderco in particular makes very reasonably priced knives for the quality of their construction. The Endura, for example, is available for about $55 retail. For that you get a premium blade steel (VG-10, which as pointed out previously will cut the edge right off of a Chinese knockoff) that is expertly heat treated. Grinding blades out of good steel causes much more wear on the machining equipment in addition to costing more for the raw material. The Endura has stainless steel liners in the handle for added strength; once again, steel costs money and has to be machined, adding to the price. Spyderco tests their locks to failure using expensive equipment to make sure their blades won't fold up on your fingers; somehow I doubt the Chinese companies making the ripoff bother to take the time.

The Endura is made in Japan where you actually have to pay people a working wage, unlike the knockoff made in China by sweatshop labor. The $55 Endura will hold an edge and stay together much longer than the $10 POS Chinese knock-off, and it won't fold up on your fingers. Lets not forget that Spyderco develops most of their designs in house and pays royalties to outside designers whose designs they produce. They go above and beyond when it comes to respect for intellectual property. The Chinese POS just copies their design a few weeks after the real deal has hit the market to capitalize on someone else's hard work. Most people don't care enough to actually see the difference. so Spyderco loses some sales to the knockoffs, affecting their bottom line. The question becomes if you want to support an ethical American company that doesn't steal others intellectual property and produces a quality product at a reasonable price or a Chinese company that rips off that American company's designs and makes a dangerous product to boot. I know where I spend my money.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I have a BENCHMADE ,but I wait for the 100$+ knives to go on sale
    SIGSAUR 1911 gsr 45
    S a W SIGMA 9mm CRAP
    Ruger 10 22
    Black powder 44 cal revolver

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I can't justify more than $100 for a knife - any knife. Hell, I have a hard time telling myself it's ok to spend $50 for an Endura, or $70 for the new Griptilian (blue box) I just bought... but that doesn't stop me. Sure, I could just buy a $50 Kershaw blur from wally world, but what's the point? I'm picky about everything, and hand tools fall into that category. As a lefty, I want 100% symmetry in my tools, and you won't get that with a liner lock... so it's back or axis lock for me (hence Spyderco and Benchmade).

I bought a $20 CRKT M16 at Wally World just to see if I liked the opening and locking system before buying one of their M16s with better steel. The darn thing has worked through use and abuse that no knife should be expected to survive, and it is still fine. I like it so much I bought a second in case I loose the first, and may buy a couple more before someone realizes it's too much knife for the money and jacks the price up.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

How about a leatherman knife.

I have to agree....I never owned a real knife until I bought my first SOG...there is a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by scochran53 View Post
    How about a leatherman knife.
    I have one! It's in the car....I actually bought it a week before I got my SOG Flash II

Leatherman is a quality product however....the Flash II surpasses it.

By the way...$65.00 is my limit for a knife!

I have a benchmade its a 100$ new ,but it was a sale paid 50- $ for it
    SIGSAUR 1911 gsr 45
    S a W SIGMA 9mm CRAP
    Ruger 10 22
    Black powder 44 cal revolver

I guess I'm just old school. I carry a KA-BAR 7" combat knife. It kept my father and grandfather alive so I figure it will do the same for me.
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

A co-worker of mine is an eBay knife seller. He lets me order from his knife catalog “at cost”. It may sound great, but it is a curse. I can never buy a knife at a retail store again now that I know what the cost is.

Looking at a SOG Trident at the moment. A Spyderco Endura with one of the Emerson wave features is also a candidate.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links